UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Hose lengths for brake and clutch on '94 M900

Old 20-05-2023, 05:12 PM   #1
RichardDDuke

Bike: Other Ducati
Hose lengths for brake and clutch on '94 M900

Have fitted new yoke with riser on 900ss along with Monster style bars.

I've measured what I think are the correct lengths for the 2 brake hoses and the clutch hose, but was wondering whether standard M900 hoses would fit OK as they are cheaper to buy than custom length ones.

So, does anyone have an early M900 with just 2 brake lines (i.e. NOT the single output which then splits into 2) and can confirm what the hose lengths are ?

TIA, Richard

P.S. BTW, I reckon they are ~70cm RH brake, ~80cm LH brake, and ~94cm for clutch.
RichardDDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 08:41 AM   #2
Flip

Bike: M900
I'll go out to the garage in a bit and measure up for you as I run a 'two full length' set-up on my '97 900.

But I would imagine if you've fitted risers then you really should use longer brake hoses as there needs to be a safety factor for when the suspension is at full extension i.e: when on a headstock paddock stand or doing a wheelie
Old 21-05-2023, 12:31 PM   #3
RichardDDuke

Flip,
Thanks for doing this ... much appeciated as I don't want to order custom hoses and then try and try to return them.
With regard to the risers, They're only 1 inch risers on a 900ss yoke, so will be about the same as a standard Monster (I think).

Last edited by RichardDDuke; 21-05-2023 at 12:44 PM..
Old 21-05-2023, 07:06 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I always get my lines from this bloke based in Bangor NI, he has lovely thick Belfast accent. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEL-Perfo...4383.l4275.c10
Fantastically patient bloke to deal with, very helpful. he even refunded me for a custom made line once when I was trying to be clever and got it wrong, he pointed me to a standard line he stocked and sent that instead.
The great thing about Hel lines is that you can twist the banjos to the correct orientation. Just grip the ferrule firmly with some GOOD pliers and rotate the banjo to the desired angle. Works every time.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 21-05-2023 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Link added to make sense of the post!!
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 07:37 PM   #5
RichardDDuke

Mr. G,
Deffo a +1 for HEL lines. Used them on my Honda Valkyrie restoration and the ability to tweak the ends of the lines was very useful.
May just go ahead and order the standard M900 racing lines and see how well they fit. If they're out, then I'll have a good yardstick to use to get the correct lengths.
I'll get a matching clutch line whilst I'm there. Rear brake line is steel braided and sheathed already, so that can stay put.
Old 21-05-2023, 08:22 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Doh! Sorry meant to post the link to the Bangor chappie!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEL-Perfo...4383.l4275.c10
Old 23-05-2023, 12:16 PM   #7
RichardDDuke

Thanks for the link Mr G. but I found these HEL ones for a bit less... £56 for the 2 brake lines and £28 for the clutch.

https://www.motorcycleproducts.co.uk...-race/1/024306

https://www.motorcycleproducts.co.uk...93-00/1/027475

Might prove useful to other members looking for HEL brake / clutch lines