UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » First service (not tennis related!)

Old 01-07-2004, 09:29 PM   #1
xjrjohn

First service (not tennis related!)

Hi again
Can someone please tell me whats done (apart from us Ducati owners) for Mr Ducati to take at least £130 for a 600 mile run-in service?
Ta in advance
John
Old 01-07-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
Banshee

the first cut is the deepest

my 600 was £212, and to your q, god knows.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:53 PM   #3
cerebus

They change the oil.

Maybe they check a few other things, but basically that's it or it was 2 and a bit years ago when they did mine.

At that time it was given free, though some dealers charged for the oil & filter.

Cerebus
Old 01-07-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
I think youll find its just oil @ filter and a quick check (or not as the case may be) on bolt torque settings. Half the herberts at these 'official' ducati dealers are just retrained kwik fit mechanics.

Thats the only downer in owning a newun...I got quoted £200+ today for the 600 miler when I collected my S4R. The last major (independent) service on my 888 (which included re-wiring the alterntor, checking the torque setting on the alternator nut, and collection and delivery) was only £430..and he does a superb job.

Take a bow Mr Rich Lewellin of Louigi Moto Bristol.

Nat
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:17 PM   #5
Paranoid Dave
Is it meant to do that?

Bike: Other Ducati
Would there be any merit in asking a dealer to list the exact jobs done, price of all parts used and the time it actually takes to do the jobs in question?

I bet the total cost of oil and parts, time etc is less than the price of what is otherwise known as a 'first service'.

Just cos us mugs have to have it, and know it costs an arm and a leg, does anyone actually question the dealer on the specifics of it's content.

Just a thought
Old 01-07-2004, 10:52 PM   #6
marchesini
Um, thinking of something

Bike: S4r
Check the small print ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyBoy
Thats the only downer in owning a newun...I got quoted £200+ today for the 600 miler when I collected my S4R. The last major (independent) service on my 888 (which included re-wiring the alterntor, checking the torque setting on the alternator nut, and collection and delivery) was only £430..and he does a superb job.

Take a bow Mr Rich Lewellin of Louigi Moto Bristol.

Nat
I read somewhere recently that it was against EC law to specify that your bike had to be taken to an authorised dealer in order to keep the warranty. As long as the book is stamped and the guidelines are followed, you can take your bike anywhere you like.

It was very recent ruling so I would find the article and check with Ducati UK first though but it would seem to make sense to me - especially with some of the ridiculous booking in and service waiting times that the official dealers quote. My guess is that the majority of use would like to get our bikes serviced at the small independents where you are happier with the qulaity of the work and at cheaper prices.

I will certainly be questioning the small print on my next new bike.

simon
marchesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 06:28 AM   #7
tony_unn

1st Service (600 mile)

£56-parts only, the labour is supposed to be free for the first one, according to service booklet.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:26 AM   #8
Duncan

We have covered this many times and its my opiinion that the dealers discounting the price on new bikes are getting the money back when it comes to the 1st service. Its a sobering thought but something you should cost in when buying a new bike if you're gonna get screwed at 1st service time.

The EC law thing on dealer servicing certainly applies to new cars but there was something in MCN a while back that says it doesnt apply to bikes. Not sure why the difference but there you go.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:36 PM   #9
logyk

Unhappy

My recollection is that the exemption for motorcycles was based on the "safety" argument.

I fear that we will be forced to pay outrageous prices for a while longer !
Old 02-07-2004, 08:43 PM   #10
berto

Where I work (DucatiGlasgow) First service labour is free you only pay for oil filter etc and when you tumshies are buying a new bike from here today gone tomorrow shops you really should ask about servicing costs cos if they won't tell you then buy from a reputable dealer...Or stop moaning about it cos you are all big boys/girls now afterall...He-he!
Old 22-07-2004, 07:33 PM   #11
berto

Well said Berto!!!!!
Old 22-07-2004, 07:48 PM   #12
xjrjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto
Well said Berto!!!!!
Wow im impressed.......only took u 20 days to congratulate yourself! :lol:
Old 24-07-2004, 05:47 PM   #13
JMo

Ah, this old chestnut...

It's swings and roundabouts - basically if you pay list (or close to list) price for a new bike, you usually get the 1st service (600 miles) for free, or just oil and filter cost - but if you get a bargin at purchase time, then they usually try to make it up by charging you for the first service.

Prices do differ quite considerably between dealers, usually depending on their location - so do phone around a few since you don't have to get it serviced where you bought it from, only an authorised dealer.

xxx
Old 24-07-2004, 09:26 PM   #14
xjrjohn

Ta for all the replies
Managed to get it down from £212 to £150 from the same dealer plus a bike to come home on. Is £150 reasonable for the run-in? (as far as reasonable goes :lol: )
John