UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Shindengen R/R update; S4 fitting annoyances and lithium battery info

Old 14-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #1
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
Same position as yours Spuggy. I wasn't taking any chances as the original burst into flames. Luckily in traffic at the time so could smell the smoke/feel my asre getting hotter! At motorway speed I might not have been so lucky.......

Your side panel is fitted the wrong way. The screw should go the other way around and the cover should be under the tab not over it. Just saying

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Your side panel is fitted the wrong way. The screw should go the other way around and the cover should be under the tab not over it. Just saying
I spotted it already and freekin knew I wouldn't get away with it!!!!!!!!
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
Same position as yours Spuggy. I wasn't taking any chances as the original burst into flames. Luckily in traffic at the time so could smell the smoke/feel my asre getting hotter! At motorway speed I might not have been so lucky.......
Sheesh... I also saw Nasher's post where his RR51 did that - and saw a photo of the aftermath to the plastic tray on a tupperware Ducati where the RR burnt a hole clear through it - and dropped out; rider didn't know anything was amiss until the dash went crazy...

It just doesn't bear thinking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
LOL, nice - I was trying to think of a way to phrase that diplomatically. Like "How do you undo that screw if the head is inside the side cover?"
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Sheesh... I also saw Nasher's post where his RR51 did that - and saw a photo of the aftermath to the plastic tray on a tupperware Ducati where the RR burnt a hole clear through it - and dropped out; rider didn't know anything was amiss until the dash went crazy...

It just doesn't bear thinking about.

LOL, nice - I was trying to think of a way to phrase that diplomatically. Like "How do you undo that screw if the head is inside the side cover?"
Yeah, just how did you get the screw in that way around? With great difficulty I imagine. LOL

Old 14-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
DaveR

Bike: S4r
Great post, it's a pity I hadn't taken on board the difference between shunt & series RRs before I got my replacement. At least I had understood about all the fakes about & got a s/h genuine SH020

I was able to get it in the original position with a bracket I made up, maybe the seat on an S4R is a little different. However the cables take a very tortured route & with all the heat they generate, I might look at repositioning underneath as yours.
Dave
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #6
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
Great post, it's a pity I hadn't taken on board the difference between shunt & series RRs before I got my replacement. At least I had understood about all the fakes about & got a s/h genuine SH020
I've not seen anyone here complain that the Monster burnt out the stator (which is where the shunts get rid of the excess current - right back into the windings, heating them up).

The GSX guys were apparently re-winding or replacing stators every couple of years - or burning up their wiring/connectors.

You have the link cable. If you decide to go for a Series RR later, most of them are a direct replacement for the FET shunts (although the SH847 is massive).

The suffix on the Shindengen part # indicates the connector; the "A" denotes that Furuwaka connector, so a "AA" indicates one that plugs straight into the link cable - these seem the most plentiful/cheap anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
I was able to get it in the original position with a bracket I made up, maybe the seat on an S4R is a little different. However the cables take a very tortured route & with all the heat they generate, I might look at repositioning underneath as yours.
Dave
I think that bracket would have worked on the S4 as well (tight though - eh?).

I did consider it, but decided putting it in free air just seemed like a good idea.

There's plenty of slack in the cables where it ended up, easy to get at/undo the connectors etc.

Plus I didn't have materials/tools etc available to make a bracket - but it was straightforward to order a couple of bolts/washers/nuts etc and borrow a drill with a M6 bit
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 03:21 AM   #7
Sirc

Bike: M1200R
Thank you for this thread Spuggy, a massive help with so much valuable info in one place.
Old 09-05-2024, 07:11 AM   #8
900Rebuilder

Bike: M900
Great post! I'm in the process of fitting the same RR to my 900 in the original position behind the headstock via a home made adapter plate.

Best thing for me has been updating the RR has made fitting the 900ie motor into the carbed bike even easier as they are both 3 phase

I'm very interested in your battery comments as I'm upgrading everything where I can afford to.
Old 09-05-2024, 01:58 PM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

If you need a reg/rec guys I have a box full of them, single phase and 3 phase type. Need to figure out the static checks I can do on them to test the diodes before I sell them though.

Old 09-05-2024, 09:24 PM   #10
jerry
Old Git

who currently has stocks of REAL Schindengren Mosfet Reg/REC,,,? or real MOSFET equivalent
Old 11-05-2024, 08:52 AM   #11
900Rebuilder

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
who currently has stocks of REAL Schindengren Mosfet Reg/REC,,,? or real MOSFET equivalent
This is why I bought a low mileage used version
Old 11-05-2024, 11:53 AM   #12
jerry
Old Git

yep 900 Rebuilder , i got a used Yamaha R1 Shindengren RR its been great ,, after being ripped off with foreign copies from some '' reputed ''sources I am even doubtful about the MOSFET RR's that Electrex world sell ?????? I think they are not true Mosfets

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 13-05-2024 at 05:49 PM..
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 06:50 PM   #13
yellowfever

Bike: S2r 1000
What a great and informative thread, finest traditions of UKMOC etc!

To add my (not at all informed) 2p worth, I know motolectric in USA (who have long done upgraded battery/starter wiring kits for Ducatis which I think are considered decent if rather pricy) have also started offering series RR for Ducatis that are I think meant to be a straight swap.

Obviously not particularly cheap and then getting them posted/imported adds further costs on top. But they could nonetheless be an option to consider. They also have (at least to me as a non-expert) some useful info/diagrams on the benefits of moving from shunt to series which might be informative, even if not going with their solutions.

https://motolectric.com/products/duc...egulators.html

https://motolectric.com/makes/ducati.html
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 06:54 AM   #14
Kato
Dismantled

Once you've looked at a few you can see straight away which are Chinese fakes

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote