UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Newbie, been lurking!!

Old 02-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
retskcid

Newbie, been lurking!!

Hi,

I've been lurking awhile and enjoying reading lots of threads!

I've been drawn to the Monster through this forum. I prefer doing my own maintenance and previously thought the Ducati models were best left to the pro's. It seems however, reading here that maintenance is not that difficult.

I commute all year round into London (46 mile round trip from Kent). I had previously used sports bikes, but in Dec 2003 my SP1 was stolen and I decided to get a sensible bike (young son by now) and ended up with a 2003 Transalp - four years and 33k later we're still together! However, the sports bike bug never went so a 1999 Blade came into the fold about 2 years ago. The plan was to use the Blade for the April - Sept months and the Transalp for the winter.

Last April I had a neck op and was advised to stay off the sports bikes (the Blade has spent that time in storage) and so now I have made the decision to sell the Blade and get a Monster! So it will be used for the summer commute. I had made up my mind that the best model for me would be the M750 or 900, however I saw an S4 Senna and my heart says to go for it.

I know its not the sensible choice. What the hell. If it becomes mine I'll post some pics and I am sure many, many questions.....

Cheers

Rich
Old 02-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
damon

welcome to the fold, get the senna, no questions, if its the one that does it for you you'd never be happy with anything else.

good luck!
Old 02-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Pervert. You should be arrested by the cyber police!

Welcome to the club, Rich. Definitely go for the Senna - not being biased at all.

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Welcome to the fold Rich.
My IE does about 54 miles a day, usually a 1000 a month. I did look at an S4 but the fuel consumptions a bit heavier, I'm getting around 3 days running on a full tank around 150 miles and that isn't pootling about either. On an S4 I reckon I'd be lucky to 100 miles out of a tank, probably less as if it's got it i'll use it. Another thing that did worry me was the servicing which would have cost more and been more difficult to slot into my mileage. The rational choice was the 750, I'd have still have an S4 though (radiators and all) if the right beast came along.

End of the day it's what suits you and your happy with, and people with S4's are usually happy with them (apart from the embarrassing radiators of course LOL)

Last edited by Nickj; 02-02-2008 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Post Friday night giberrish
Nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
Scotty

id rate the S4, just maybe
Old 02-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
retskcid

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking - no point in having regrets! We'll see if I can do the deal.

On mileage I only got around 120 out of the Blade (175 on the Transalp) so not so worried, it beats the train The S4 is good for about 40ish to the gallon? (I also get a couple of years out of tyres on the Transalp!! This is the price you pay for having "toys").
Old 03-02-2008, 01:28 AM   #7
Bodybag

I used to commute daily from Leicester to London on my S4. It was fine apart from the reg/rec packed up once. 1000 miles a week with no other problems at all. And mileage when you're commuting is pretty good. It would cost me about £20 per day for 200 miles. Saved me a fortune in parking and congestion charges so I reckon it was definitely worth it. The other thing is that the S4 will stick it up the Superbike brigade with ease. Nothing better than out-cornering an R1 when you're on a mission!!
Old 03-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
retskcid

Hahaha, that sounds reeeet up my street. Well, its too late now anyway as the deed is done!

Not great quality but here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4470_1.jpg (24.8 KB, 43 views)
Old 03-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
paul33

welcome rich have fun im sure u will
Old 04-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
johndglynn

Welcome Rich, about time you showed up mate
Old 05-02-2008, 06:02 AM   #11
retskcid

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndglynn View Post
Welcome Rich, about time you showed up mate
Thanks John, I just spotted your M750 (nice) post, you got there before me! I'm looking forward to picking mine up Sat and getting stuck into it
Old 04-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #12
S4 Challenge

Does anyone know where i can get a JMO tail tidy any help or advice would be much appreciated