UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Front sprocket & clutch actuator rod

Old 09-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
makemdan

Bike: M1100evo
Front sprocket & clutch actuator rod

So I've started to replace the front sprocket on my 1100 evo and removed the clutch slave for access, The actuator rod came out with the cylinder and won't insert all the way. I guess I need to strip the side casings but hopefully not a full strip down. Any advice please?
makemdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
You shouldn’t have to strip anything, unless the evo has a peculiarity I’m unaware of. I’m sure Luddite will be along in a minute with sage advice.

edit: the evo has an anti-rotation pin on the pushrod, so you might need to rotate it to align it with the slot in the slave cylinder piston.
Other than that, check the condition of the two o-rings on the pushrod, if they show no signs of damage it’s probably worth giving them a wipe with some clean engine oil or a little light grease, you may feel a little resistance as you push the rod in past the o-rings but you shouldn’t need a great deal of force. If they’re at all torn, thry shpuld be replaced.
If you’ve inadvertantly pulled the clutch lever with the slave off, you will need to push the piston in to refit the slave cylinder.

Last edited by slob; 09-10-2020 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: checked parts book
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
Ron1000

I put an Oberon CS on mine recently. Other than the anti rotation pin there should not be anything to do or need stripped off.

Also I done my sprockets and chain over winter and the front sprocket definitely slides past it.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:28 PM   #4
Luddite

^^^^
What Rob and Ron said!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:14 PM   #5
Luddite

For reference, here's the relevant page from the workshop manual (it's a screenshot so I hope it's clear enough to read).

Mind you, I usually just leave the anti-rotation insert in the slave cylinder and then line up the rod by eye. I suppose, if the anti-rotation pin is loose, then you'd need to reassemble by the book to stop it dropping out, since it engages with the insert in the vertical position. (Although a spot of grease would be enough to hold it in place.)
Old 12-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #6
makemdan

Thanks fellas, went into mild state of panic when the rod came out. I removed the slave cylinder out of habit but having reinstalled I can see it wasn't necessary, it's now back in place. Just waiting for a new soft link from wemoto to complete the job. TPS reset to follow then road test before the weather fouls any more. Forks and Ecu remap next and maybe a new shock in the new year. Anyone used a nitro shock before?
Old 12-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #7
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemdan View Post
Anyone used a nitro shock before?
Flip speaks highly of Nitron so he might be along soon to give you the benefit of his experience. In the meantime, this thread might be useful:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=58289
Old 13-10-2020, 06:33 PM   #8
iainw

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by makemdan View Post
Anyone used a nitro shock before?
I have a BMW R1200R as well as my monster, the standard front shock had no adjustment for preload or damping and as I weight under 10 stone it was topped out all the time, pretty useless really. So I swapped it out for a Nitron and it is really good, the build quality is excellent and it's still looking like new after 45K miles and 5 years use. I'm really impressed with it even though it's entry NTR R1 unit.
iainw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
makemdan

Regina Chain Link

So, trying to reassemble the (Regina) chain after sprocket change but the links I have are all from DID sets which don't fit - the pin diameter for DID is 5.4 mm whereas my chain has 5.15 pins. Wemoto don't sell Regina links so I wonder if there's an alternative 525 chain link I can use?

As the bike has done just short of 9k and is 8 years old I suspect this is the original chain so I intend to change the chain fairly soon when I will revert to 15 front and larger rear sprocket. Everyone I know runs DID x rings so If a previous owner had replaced the chain I doubt they would use Regina.... but perhaps that's just my opinion. In the short term I'd still like to try the existing chain and 14 tooth if I can get a suitable link.
Old 15-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #10
slob

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regina-52...-/352989650626

any help?
Old 15-10-2020, 08:36 PM   #11
makemdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Not sure tbh, spec for the Evo says Regina ZR PK, not sure how significant the letters are. I'll pop down to my local bike shop and see what they have in stock I think
Old 15-10-2020, 10:11 PM   #12
slob

well spotted, ZRP is a sport chain, ZRT is a road/touring chain
https://www.reginachain.net/business.../professional/
no idea what the K is (OEM maybe?)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/27015061511
Old 23-10-2020, 10:55 PM   #13
makemdan

So I got hold of a Regina link and it fits BUT my chain tool can't burr the rivets. In fact the rivets have flattened the spike on the tool! This has been used on numerous did chins. Now that I have fitted the 14t sprocket and refitted the chain it is at the limit of adjustment. Rideable but no further adjustment so I will be going for a new set. I found a site that deals with _Regina chains and it suggests that the Regina tool (I assume its a drift) should be given a "sharp tap with a hammer". I think perhaps it'll need a good belt with a hammer. All I can think of is some sort of drift with a concave face that will burr the rivet edges and make the link safe o I wonder if the link is not "soft"
Old 27-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #14
Luddite

Frustrating! I've never used Regina, only DID or AFAM, but I've never had any problems flaring the link pins - maybe it's Regina's way of selling their own chain tools?!

Hope you get it sorted soon.
Old 27-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #15
makemdan

Agreed...frustrating! The DID system is simple and effective.

The Regina is as shown in this link

https://www.mad-ducati.com/Technical...inToolUse.html

How to complicate a simple task!

I'll use a fencing maul to use as an "anvil" and use a generic drift to secure the rivets. I only need to use the bike for a couple of hundred miles following TPS reset and then its off the road. I'll be buying a new DID set with an oversize rear sprocket ready for next year

Its kinda strange but all this "hassle" is what I missed when I had the CBR

Last edited by makemdan; 27-10-2020 at 12:39 PM..