UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Clutch where to buy etc.

Old 29-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
rbt1548

Bike: M900sie
Clutch where to buy etc.

Sorry for another clutch thread.
I am in the midst of giving the bike , 2000 M900Sie, a going over, changing fluids etc., and I noticed a noisier than normal rattle from the clutch when both engaged and disengaged so I had a wee look.

The friction plates are just on their limit but do look quite glazed/shiny, my dished steel plate is a flat as a pancake and the alloy basket grooves look well battered, the tang to basket gap is well over it's 0.6mm. I do not know the history of the clutch or when it was put in and a 29k I highly doubt it's the original.

At this moment, while I have time on my hands, I am going to replace it, I know there are varying views on the best type of material for plates and baskets. I have at the moment and alloy basket and steel plates, but I was thinking of going alloy for both, but am open to suggestions.
I don't mind paying a wee bit extra for better quality.

Where would be a good place to buy the plates and basket?

Thanks

1965 BSA Lightning Clubman
1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie
rbt1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 11:01 PM   #2
Flip

Bike: M900
As I am sure you’re aware, any mix of Alloy and Steel is never going to end particularly well for the softer metal and is generally not mixed in clutches for that reason.

So the combination you have there is certainly not original.

I know there are lots of advocates for the lighter alloy plates and baskets as are there for the various other aftermarket clutches available but as my original steel basket and plates combination had done almost 30k (the friction material was actually still within spec and if you go by Ducati’s plate to basket clearances you’d be swapping parts every year) I went for genuine parts knowing they would last a reasonable time and just as importantly they’d fit as they should without having to worry about swapping parts to get the stack height correct.
Old 30-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
rbt1548

Thanks for info, where would be best place to get parts just now as I imagine most dealers will be closed.

I can just put clutch back in at present as it seems to be running ok.

1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie
Old 30-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Moto Rapido are still providing a parts supply service. Apparently the guys are doing this from their homes. Sterling effort chaps... Three cheers for Moto Rapido..

To be honest mate I would just soldier on with your present clutch at the moment. 1) You're not going to be doing any significant mileage for a while, possibly not even this season. (depressing ain't it?) and 2) just putting plates in is not really going to be getting the best out of them if you put them in worn drums. These clutches put in terrific mileages in way out of spec condition. So long as it's physically working okay and you can tolerate the din, then just keep going with it. I got 34000 out of mine on a M900Sie, before the crescendo was hurting my ears, but it still functioned perfectly. I replaced it with an alloy EVR 48 tooth job from Max (Pompone) he got it from Italy for me. It went on with no bother at all.
As it happens I opened it up last weekend, for the first time since fitting it. 6500 miles down the road there is no wear to speak of except for faint witnesses on the inner drum where the tangs contact. Bear in mind that this is where steel plates touch the alloy inner drum (no choice on that matter).
When I re-assembled it I got a tooth brush and some graphite grate polish, I brushed a little polish sparingly into the slots on both drums to coat them with Graphite. importantly I kept brushing with a dry brush to polish it and remove any surplus. Obviously any trace of Graphite on the friction surfaces would be undesirable. The result seems to have been an ultra smooth operating clutch and I think it is quieter too. There is no evidence of any slipping whatsoever. The object was to try and reduce any potential wear.
You might find it a bit trickier to do this on an open slotted drum as the stuff will just go through. My semi-circular slots are blind. Seems to be worth a try though.
Old 30-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The 48 tooth conversion is worth considering particularly when you price up the new parts of the standard one. Basket and plates, I think you can still run the standard drum/hub/pressure plate etc, but the aftermarket ones are usually much better quality billet as opposed to die cast, stronger and probably lighter, so you get a much smoother action and quieter too.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
rbt1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Moto Rapido are still providing a parts supply service. Apparently the guys are doing this from their homes. Sterling effort chaps... Three cheers for Moto Rapido..

To be honest mate I would just soldier on with your present clutch at the moment. 1) You're not going to be doing any significant mileage for a while, possibly not even this season. (depressing ain't it?) and 2) just putting plates in is not really going to be getting the best out of them if you put them in worn drums. .

Thanks for help guys.

Sorry, should have said I am looking to replace both plates and drums.

1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie
Old 30-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Very sorry Robert, you did indeed say you were changing both in your first post.
I miss-read the word "back" in your second, as "pack" and confused myself.

I would recommend the EVR 48 tooth ally clutch, although I am not sure how to get in touch with Max now, nor what trade from Italy is like now.

As Darren suggests, it was cost effective compared to stock items or even aftermarket slotted baskets. I also got the clutch pack to suit, with alloy friction plates and plain steel plates. I was able to order my own spec pack with organic friction material rather that sintered and also the standard configuration of plates with a dished one in the standard position. The inner hub was Ducati from Moto Rapido. I managed to grab that at a discount one evening when Ursa flagged up a discount code for use on eBay that evening only... Good ol' Ursa, hope you are still well and riding?
Standard pressure plate, springs ect are re-usable, though this clutch is usually sold as a slipper clutch.
Old 30-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #8
rbt1548

Thanks to all!!!!

1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie
Old 30-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I'm not sure if Max's shop is still open? Maybe drop him a line?

http://www.desmoperformanceparts.com...act/4572275619

Old 30-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #10
Wrider

Bike: S4r
I’m In need of a new basket too, and was thinking of just buying a stm slipper clutch.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F143509108535
Wrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #11
The Clockie

Sorry if I sound like a broken record and I only offer the advice in the interests of everyone else's pockets, but do try the Quiet Clutch Mod as a way of extracting much more (silent) life out of Ducati clutches. Our main man Slob is sitting on the details from the horses mouth, or you can access the pirated version from Ducati oop t'North.

The truth is out there, and you have nothing to lose but your rattle! Clutch rattle, that is...

Nick
Old 30-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Unfortunately that mod won't work with a 48 tooth basket, but those tend to rustle rather than rattle anyway. I am fairly sure that the Graphite has made mine quieter, but how long that lasts remains to be seen.

Why don't you post your quiet clutch mod up in "Mods and how to" Nick? All Rob needs to do then is just make it sticky.
Old 30-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
I’m In need of a new basket too, and was thinking of just buying a stm slipper clutch.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F143509108535
That's actually not a bad price for that.

I've got a DP slipper on mine not 48t though but its a great bit of kit. I have a 48t basket and plates which I'm hoping will fit too at some point.

Old 30-03-2020, 08:43 PM   #14
The Clockie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Unfortunately that mod won't work with a 48 tooth basket, but those tend to rustle rather than rattle anyway. I am fairly sure that the Graphite has made mine quieter, but how long that lasts remains to be seen.

Why don't you post your quiet clutch mod up in "Mods and how to" Nick? All Rob needs to do then is just make it sticky.
That's right: bog-standard Ducati dry clutches are the focus of the mod.

I think Rob was going to publish a leather-bound volume, with gold blocking, containing lots of useful stuff for Monster owners, so I don't want to pre-empt that! Besides, there's the royalties to consider...

Nick
Old 30-03-2020, 09:08 PM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Ah right. I will hang on for the book signing to get my copy..