UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » 14 tooth on 1100 evo

Old 19-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #16
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Really disappointed for you that you're still having problems, Bob. Did you go back to Neil for his thoughts?

As with Chris, I'd fitted the 14 tooth sprocket before the reflash, so I've no experience of the reflash on its own. As Chris said, the combination of the two transforms the low speed running so I hope you feel the benefits too. Let us know how you get on.
Thanks mate, I am too. It's a bit of a mystery, as it really did improve immediately after the reflash and during the next 300 or so miles?!

Neil was at a loss, but did suggest that it could be chain slack manifesting itself as dodgy fuelling. This doesn't feel quite like that though, and it seemed to become less smooth really suddenly, like between rides! Unless the whole axle has shifted...?

The 14T option sounds relatively cheap, and I don't think I've got anything to lose by trying it.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #17
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p View Post
I went 14t front before rexxerr flash, the feeling low down was better before the flash but night and day different after the flash, so get that 14t front sprocket and give it a go/
Yeah I think I've got to at this stage Chris.
Old 19-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #18
Ron1000

I spent quite a bit of time....and cash getting mine to run right, although it has to be said even as it was when I got it it wasn't terrible or unride-able or that.

At present mines sits like this:

1. Power commander V
2. 14t sprocket......soon to be +3 at the back
3. Servo valve delete
4. MWR Race air filters plus power up filters
5. Stock exhausts and catalytic converter delete
6. Dyno'd and dyno setup for more power and correct A/F ratios

It runs well, I can let drop to 10/15mph in third without any hunting issues if I want. I dont really do that tho, going through a village at 30 mph in second doesn't need the clutch slipped or anything. In fact I hardly notice it anymore and i'd probably get a shock if I went back to stock bike.

Only down side for me is that a fair bit of the engine braking has been dialed out. which I do actually miss if i'm scratching, I now need to apply the brakes occassionally
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 04:25 PM   #19
Uncle Bob

Can anyone recommend a guide for changing the front sprocketon an evo? From what I'm reading on the net I shouldn't need to change the chain (which has only done about 2800 miles, together with both sprockets).

It appears to be fairly straightforward. Very basically: slacken the two hub retaining bolts, roll the hub forward to loosen the chain, remove and replace sprocket, tension chain and retighten the hub. Having said that I don't have the tool for rotating the hub\adjusting the chain, but they appear to be pretty cheap online (£10 - £15).
Old 19-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #20
Luddite

Pretty much as you've described, Bob.

A couple of points to watch: don't overtighten the pinch bolts on the eccentric hub - they should be 31Nm with molybdenum grease on the threads in the sequence 1-2-1. Also, the sprocket nut is torqued to 186Nm so, unless you have a sturdy impact gun or long breaker bar, you may struggle to get it off.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #21
Luddite

PS I think the chain adjustment c-spanner is different on the Evo from the later models like the 821/1200 so make sure you get the right one.

The Evo uses the same one as the 748/916 and S2R. There's a Laser one (no. 5035), which does the job. £14 or so from Machine Mart.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/040815035/
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #22
Rrawlings

I don’t know if my bike is different or has been modded without me knowing (the amount of paperwork and history is ridiculously vast and shows nothing) but I don’t have any issues with fuelling really. It’s over geared but I have no issues with it being snatchy. I do tend to only ride it on decent flowing roads as a toy not in traffic or commuting. I do have to say I tend to leave it on 3rd or 4th and ride it using the engine rather than the box which helps. What bike have you come from uncle bob? I had a super smooth Daytona before the evo and had to alter how I ride slightly to suit the Ducati otherwise if I rode it like the Triumph it was a bit of a pig
Rrawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #23
Uncle Bob

Great info as usual Luddite, thanks very much.

Rrawlings - Directly before this was a 696, so it's not like it was a total shock getting the evo. It was more of an adjustment going from a GSX-R600 to the 696 I can tell you!
Old 20-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #24
Ron1000

I recently had a shot on a 16 plate GSXR600. Amazing bit of kit, you can really take the **** with the lower speed v higher gears.

Saying that it felt a bit sanitised, I'd be bored of it within a season I reckon.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #25
Uncle Bob

Mine was such a good bike. I only got rid because I was tired (literally) of the riding position and my wife wouldn't ride pillion on it, which I totally didn't blame her for, I wouldn't either!

Ironically, from an engine and fuelling point of view it wasn't a bad pillion bike at all. Really quite smooth!
Old 21-08-2019, 09:03 AM   #26
Rrawlings

It’s strange then that you got on with the 696 but not the evo. I really do hope you get it running how you want Bob as you seem to be experiencing exactly what people who had never ridden a Ducati told me it would be like. I’m off to pick up the sprocket today but doubt I’ll have a chance to get it done anytime this week but as soon as it’s on and I’ve ridden it I’ll report back
Old 21-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #27
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrawlings View Post
It’s strange then that you got on with the 696 but not the evo. I really do hope you get it running how you want Bob as you seem to be experiencing exactly what people who had never ridden a Ducati told me it would be like. I’m off to pick up the sprocket today but doubt I’ll have a chance to get it done anytime this week but as soon as it’s on and I’ve ridden it I’ll report back

696 to 1100 Evo is like comparing chalk and cheese, my wife had 1 & I loved riding it, I bought the Evo as it was the last of the air-cooled and had better low grunt than the new water-cooled monsters. it surprised me when I rode it that it was a completely different bike compared to the way the 696 rode etc, it just needed a fair bit of re jigging of engine running and suspension to make it a real good bike.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #28
Rrawlings

So similar reason to me then last of the air cooled monsters and I’d wanted a monster since sitting on the original 900 at the bike show as a kid. I had an Sv650 that I absolutely loved but had poor suspension so I swapped to a Triumph and a few bikes later decided to take he plunge. I plan to do some suspension work at some point and will go have a chat with I local guy who is a retired racer that made the Daytona suspension outstanding rather than just very good by doing some internal alterations when other places just wanted me to put their cartridge kits in. I will possibly get a rexxer flash done although your problems have put me off a little now.
Old 21-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #29
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Yes, please do!

As Chris has said, they do differ from each other. Obviously they do have similarities too, which is one of the reasons I've now got the evo. I loved the 696, it was so much fun, but having come from much more powerful bikes the novelty kind of wore off and ultimately I needed more shove, not just for me but because I often carry a pillion. I was like "If only this bike had some more grunt..." so the Evo was one of the logical choices, and I prefer the styling over the 1100\1100s.

Don't get me wrong though, on the open road it's a joy. Its only real failing (at least, the only one I'm really bothered about) is the low speed fuelling, IMO.
Old 21-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #30
Uncle Bob

Quote:
So similar reason to me then last of the air cooled monsters and I’d wanted a monster since sitting on the original 900 at the bike show as a kid. I had an Sv650 that I absolutely loved but had poor suspension so I swapped to a Triumph and a few bikes later decided to take he plunge. I plan to do some suspension work at some point and will go have a chat with I local guy who is a retired racer that made the Daytona suspension outstanding rather than just very good by doing some internal alterations when other places just wanted me to put their cartridge kits in. I will possibly get a rexxer flash done although your problems have put me off a little now.
I'm kinda of the opinion that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. So if you find that the 14T gives you what you want then leave it alone after that. However, I wouldn't be put off. The Rexxer flash hasn't made it any worse and I did notice an improvement immediately after having it done, and it DEFINITELY was not the placebo effect.

I've read elsewhere that some people didn't really notice a difference after the reflash, and given that my experience is a little different again it just says to me that not all bikes are identical! No surprise there, it's Italian!