UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » My M900 Project...

Old 26-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
ibanezlynx

My M900 Project...

Hi all,
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 94 M900 off of a friend who moved to America and couldn't import it. I have been riding it the past summer and it's been great fun and in total covered about 15k miles. I also managed to get a 04 zx6r which I plan on doing the miles on this coming summer. This will give me the time to restore the monster.
The bike:

It's suffered from poor engine paint and knackered frame paint on the left hand side from the battery leaking. There is also a bit off damaged when the previous owners wife reversed into it. All in all a good bike though.
I plan on re-painting the frame, engine and wheels and also any other corroded bits. I don't really want to pimp it out or spend mega bucks on carbon and ohlins this and that. I just want to put the time in and make it a look wonderful and ride well... I want to utilise my skills as an engineer.
So I will be updating the forum with photos, problems and tips as I progress on.

Wish me luck...
Old 26-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
ibanezlynx

So I have started stripping it:

I have also re-painted the belly pan. I will wait until the end and decide whether I want to use it or show off the new engine paint.....

Old 26-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezlynx View Post
Hi all,
I don't really want to pimp it out or spend mega bucks on carbon and ohlins this and that. I just want to put the time in and make it a look wonderful and ride well...

Wish me luck...
Good luck with that
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
That looks like a really nice original early Monster there.

Shame that you say the paint has suffered, but heartening to hear you say "restore".

All I would change personaly would be to ditch the belly pan and fairing...Possibly I might go for Gold wheels, but otherwise all the colours are just right, even down to the yellow hoop.

Good luck with the refit, keep us posted.
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
BeePee

Bike: S2r
oooh I like a good rebuild thread, might be me soon as well
Old 27-01-2014, 03:57 AM   #6
Flip

Bike: M900
The can of worms....

.....that is restoration.

It's only original once remember and them there early ones are getting fewer and far-er between these days.

A nice patina paints a thousand words and all that.
Either way I'm not really into them being kept in Museums (unless there's an excuse to go to Bologna again) so have fun with the spanners!

One thing's for sure- whatever way you go with it you'll divide people's opinion.
Old 27-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #7
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
A nice patina paints a thousand words and all that.
Well said, that man.

One comment on the bellypan.
I had one exactly like that, except the front section had a mesh-filled vent hole cut in it.
I found that, even with the added ventilation, the fact that the bellypan enclosed the front header pipe meant that it retained lots of heat.
Probably not a problem on the move, but stopping at traffic lights caused great waves of heat to rise off the motor.
I reckon they can contribute to overheating and I replaced mine with a short, Monza style pan, which leaves the header exposed and eliminates the problem.

Good luck with the rebuild.
I will watch with interest.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
ibanezlynx

Yes that is well said.
Interesting point Utopia. I'm probably going to ditch it. After I put in the hard work on the engine repaint I will want to show it off. I also got ride of the headlight fairing a while ago.

The photo is on the good side. Most of the damage is the left hand side from the battery. Also the belt covers are cracked and the battery support. Exhaust are pretty messy too.

I have already powder coated the yellow hoop black. Hate it yellow but that's just personal!
Nearly finished sorting out the swing arm so will up date with pics soon...
Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
ibanezlynx

Right, Finally got round to doing some more work...
The engine is out and the frame stripped of bits and pieces:

You can see the damage that the battery leak caused:

I'm not sure what to do about frame paint/powder coat and filling in the frame numbers? Any one had any experience with this?
I have cleaned the swing arm, shock, new rose joints, powder coated the ugly yellow brace and replaced with stainless bolts where necessary:

I have also disassembled the lock mechanism, painted and put nice shiny bolts in place. This is what it was like:

And now:

Next to start cleaning bits and weld up an engine stand!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
From ugly to lovely in so many hours, time well spent though. Nice job!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #11
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Sorry you didn't like your yellow hoop. It's a nice original feature inherited from the 888...But it's your bike.

Shame the frame took all that acid..!! (sounds like my mis-spent youth!!_)

If you speak nicely to the powder coaters, it might be possible to mask the frame numbers up after grit blasting, using self adhesive aluminium tape, but it will need to be carefully cut away after the coating and that will expose the grit blasted surface again so it will require painting over...Best to discuss with the actual guy doing the coating.

Liking the attention to detail with the seat latch..Nice.. Keep up the good work.
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
craigie
Only bronze?

Whilst you have it in bits I would recommend a jack up kit for the hoop. One of the best wee mods to my mind.
craigie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #13
Cobra88

what's happened to the Like button on recent posts ?

Nice one Ibanezlynx
Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #14
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post

If you speak nicely to the powder coaters, it might be possible to mask the frame numbers up after grit blasting, using self adhesive aluminium tape, but it will need to be carefully cut away after the coating and that will expose the grit blasted surface again so it will require painting over...Best to discuss with the actual guy doing the coating.
When I had my frame powder coated they masked the small area around the frame number so that it was left bare, then used conventional paint over the area so that it is still legible.

I also had my black hoop done in yellow...

Last edited by Dukedesmo; 07-02-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:39 AM   #15
Flip

Looking good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Sorry you didn't like your yellow hoop. It's a nice original feature inherited from the 888...But it's your bike.
Told you whatever you did would divide opinions!! I have to say I agree with Mr Gazza and DD on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigie View Post
Whilst you have it in bits I would recommend a jack up kit for the hoop. One of the best wee mods to my mind.
Or you could just wind out the rose joints a couple of turns to raise the back up- craigie is spot on though, the cheapest single thing you can do to improve handling and stop it steering like a 'Chopper'.

Next best is junk the original shock- it is bound to be knackered and the spring too hard anyway.