UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » S2R project ish!

Old 28-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #46
littlejimmy12

I could not tolerate that mess on my rear end, so I dismantled the whole of it. 6 months later my bike has now been completely rebuilt! only stepped out to give it a proper clean!
Old 29-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #47
desmodronic

I recon you need my left hand fork. that aint gonna clean up like the other side!!
Old 29-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #48
Petej

Haha! They both look like new now ;-)
Old 29-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #49
JMo

I've found most bikes come with a perfect supply of grease and oil remover already onboard... just dip a rag in some petrol - gets rid of pretty much any nasty, and particularly good for getting rid of sticker glue residue too...

Jx
Old 29-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #50
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Yes...but then again.....
Not so good if you happen to fancy a fag while you're doing the cleaning though.
Perhaps a bit aggressive on some surfaces too.
And not cheap either, at today's prices.
And it removes every last trace of greasiness, leaving the surface squeaky-clean but totally unprotected. Even paraffin seems to leave a faintly waxy residue behind, which affords at least a bit of protection.

I used Jizer once, back in the 70s, to clean the engine of my 350 Yam.
I think the fumes from it must be explosive, and must have somehow accumulated behind the points cover, because when I started it there was a loud bang and the points cover, complete with attatchment lugs to the main casing below, blew completely off.
I'm thinking that petrol may have similar drawbacks.

btw...I recently discovered that meths works a treat for removing deep grime from paintwork, and doesn't seem to affect the paint itself (at least mine was fine, although its not original ducati paint...its always worth testing a hidden area first)
My tank is now as bright as the day it was painted.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #51
Petej

Had a spare day so managed to spend some time on stripping the rear down and trying to find the metal underneath. Decided whilst I'm putting the effort in I'll take the chain and sprockets off an replace them, I have a receipt saying they were changed a few years back, and looking like they don't have much longer left in them anyhow.

Took the breather box and undertray off cleaned them and plastic shone them they are now black again!

Then on to the swing arm and hub, I appreciate not everyone keeps bang on top of keeping their bike clean, but seriously it's bad when you come to cleaning 5 yrs plus of brake dust and old chain lube. But I'm pretty chuffed with how it's coming up, I'll give it a final buff but its silver again!

Same treatment on the rest disc got it from corroded and black to almost fresh looking

Think I have some parts coming for Christmas, and I'll have some more time to crack on, still not 100% I'm happy with the front section of the exhaust so worst case more time polishing!
Old 17-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #52
littlejimmy12

brilliant work, amazing what a little embow grease can do. Well done
Old 17-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #53
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Looks much better. Keep going with it so it ready and easy to clean from now on.

Last edited by Albie; 17-12-2012 at 06:33 PM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #54
Petej

Yet again been so busy had limited time in the garage. But did get s few bits ordered. After cleaning the rear up I decided to get the chain and sprockets ordered, so got a rental delivery last week and I'm pretty happy with the way the rear is looking now

Got to be honest first time I've riveted a chain on but seemed to go on ok thankfully.

I'm going to fit the undertray back and breather box and that's the rear finished!

Had a bit of boost today after a visit to my local ducati dealer for new bolts for the rear carrier, I noticed a black s2r with 48k on the clock it was clean but I can see what I have achieved with a bit or maybe too much effort!!

Next stop the engine and surrounding areas, and I've got a task sorting the rear sets, they look almost stained!!

Pete
Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #55
littlejimmy12

I'd get the rear sets powdercoated. The engine, with my old S2r I got very good results taking off oil cooler and plumbing, masking off the whole bike. I then sanded down to metal and spray painted. The finish was very good. I used RS Bike Paints for a colour match.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #56
Davidg1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejimmy12 View Post
I'd get the rear sets powdercoated. The engine, with my old S2r I got very good results taking off oil cooler and plumbing, masking off the whole bike. I then sanded down to metal and spray painted. The finish was very good. I used RS Bike Paints for a colour match.
Keeping the engine still in the frame? I've got an issue with badly flaking paint now buit as the bike lives outside under covers, I can't really do a winter strip down and respray. Do you think it's possible to remove enough parts to do a combination of insitu spraying and loose panels?

Pete, how does your engine look? are you taking it out or just cleaning insitu?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #57
bluestoesonnose

looking good, keep em coming
Old 09-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #58
Petej

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejimmy12 View Post
I'm debating some powder coating but, but will wait till I do the wheels. You got any pics of your engine??? Sounds like that may improve it till I can get the engine out.

My engines bubbled but thankfully it's not that noticeable, but I'm going to tidy the inspection covers and do what I can for now.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #59
Marsh...

Like what your doing, enjoying the thread, thanks n well done.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #60
Petej

Cheers for the positive comments!