UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » S2R project ish!

Old 22-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #31
Davidg1230

Pete, thanks the exhaust, really looking forward to adding this to my S2R. The Arrows look great and I know what you about having a twin stack. I'm going to miss mine, but happy to loose the standard cans for your old one.

Just let me know if the Arrows are too loud, maybe you can have your old one back!

How does your engine look in terms of paint peeling? mines getting bad now and it's the main thing that's spoiling the look of the bike. My wheels are fine but probably could do with re-powedercoating at some stage in the near future.

I'm wondering what I can do to improve the look of the engine whilst insitu and don't have the facilites to strip the bike and do it myself. I've used ACf30 to keep it protected, but intunr, it's now gone quite cruddy and dark?
Old 22-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #32
Petej

Hi David, no worries it went out this morning so should be with you tomorrow!

The arrows look so good ill just buy some ear plugs ;-)

My engine has bubbled on the left side, but not split so just been careful cleaning it - I will probably remove the engine and sort that next winter I would imagine, in terms of options whilst in the bike, I would say your limited other than what your doing. Baby wipes in seriousness are good to clean the engine with (regular).

My wheels (well front is the only cleaned one currently) are ok couple of small chips but like you say may have them re done in time!

Let me know how you get on with the exhaust, and may see you at a meet in the new year!
Old 23-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #33
pegboy

Hey Mate

I keep looking at those exhaust pipes, please tell me the secret on how you got them so shiney

I want to do my s2r in the winter also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petej View Post
Having cleaned up the majority of the front the arrow system sitting in the box got the better of me so I removed the nuts and studs from the cylinders and replaced those with nice shiny ones after my visit to Rosso Corse (top guys) and offered up the Arrow system, polished the s pipes and they took ages but worth the effort.

Had a go at carbon wrapping the heel plates!

And after finding a bargain on EBay managed to pick up a carbon mud guard!!

Still to final tighten the exhaust and re connect the tank to check! Then time for the rear end clean up!

Pete
Old 24-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #34
Petej

Meguiars metal polish, and a polishing wheel! And a bit of time and patience!

If you need a hand when you get round to it give me a shout!
Old 26-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #35
Petej

Unhappy

Not really had a lot to report, been to busy to get out in the garage over the past week.....

Hit a bit of a rut to be honest, the rear is a mess absolutely covered in grease, dirt and just about driving me mad, rear disc is not budging!

It's started to come up but I've used near on a pack of wet wipes already! Bits everywhere and got my work cut out to get near where I want it, need new chain and sprockets ideally had not really planned for that.

Most negative update so far but hey holiday next week I can come back motivated, not like I haven't hit time on my side the weathers awful so am not missing out much.

Pete
Old 27-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #36
bluestoesonnose

I use diesel on stuff like this and then very soapy water to get the diesel off. my old VTR was covered in waxoil and chain lube by the previous owner who wanted to protect it against the northern winters. It took me three goes to get the stuff off and I had to strip the bike of the bodywork but it came up like new.
Old 27-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #37
Petej

Cheers, ill give that a go! Degreaser is working but failing that ill give the diesel a shot. Just such a total nightmare.
Old 27-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #38
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
Wet wipes for that!
I'd keep them for the little bits that are left after you go at it with a brush and hot soapy water and then degreasant and then another round of hot soapy water.

Get the bulk of the grime off before tackling the little bits.
Old 27-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #39
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I use paraffin for cleaning greasy stuff like that....Cheap as chips, works a treat, no need to wash it off afterwards.
Coupled with a half-inch paintbrush with the bristles cut down to half length and with tape or shrinkwrap around the metal ferrule to avoid scratching.
A cheap oven tray to catch the drips if I'm being particularly messy, otherwise just newspaper.
And an ordinary roll of kitchen paper towels for wiping up, at £1 for 4. One of these lives full time on a holder on the shed wall.
Once the worst of the gunge is removed I swap the paraffin for a can of GT85 (my favourite WD40-type magic spray) and a rag.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #40
Davidg1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
I use paraffin for cleaning greasy stuff like that....Cheap as chips, works a treat, no need to wash it off afterwards.
Coupled with a half-inch paintbrush with the bristles cut down to half length and with tape or shrinkwrap around the metal ferrule to avoid scratching.
A cheap oven tray to catch the drips if I'm being particularly messy, otherwise just newspaper.
And an ordinary roll of kitchen paper towels for wiping up, at £1 for 4. One of these lives full time on a holder on the shed wall.
Once the worst of the gunge is removed I swap the paraffin for a can of GT85 (my favourite WD40-type magic spray) and a rag.
Do you use the GT85 as the final wipe down? I have some and haven't really used it for wiping down or lasting protection, but I do spray ACF50 around the engine for winter weather protection.
Old 27-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #41
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg1230 View Post
Do you use the GT85 as the final wipe down? I have some and haven't really used it for wiping down or lasting protection, but I do spray ACF50 around the engine for winter weather protection.
Yes, for the main chassis and engine parts. I find that its great for cleaning stuff thats just a bit grimey, rather than caked in ****e, and it leaves a bit of protection behind too. Just keep it well away from your discs (I cover mine if there's a danger of overspray) because its contains some sort of ptfe/teflon compound which doesn't do a lot of good to your brakes.
Actually I seldom wash the entire bike these days as it removes all the protective greasiness from the nooks and crannies. As long as I don't take it out on salty roads, it probably only gets one good wash per year.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #42
Gilps

Try brake and clutch cleaner. It shifts stuff like that in no time and coz its a spray can it blasts the stuff off like a jetwasher.
Old 27-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #43
Petej

Been using muck off, a toothbrush and the wet wipes! Yeah the spray does help blast it out!! It's getting there!
Old 27-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #44
pegboy

Set yourself small sections to complete per night and slowly slowly you'll have a nice clean bike.
Old 28-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #45
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
i dont like muc off, it marks/dulls some surfaces badly especially plastics and carbon, but its ok on aluminium bits as long as you dont let it dry . its no good on chain o rings either

brake cleaner is great on raw metal like swing arm plillion pegs etc, but it will strip the paint laquer of the engine casing very quick

Sdoc s100 total bike cleaner is amazing stuff, gets rid of gunk like that and is gentle on painted surfaces
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote