UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » S2R project ish!

Old 11-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
pegboy

That's looking very nice indeed. If you feel like going into business detailing bikes you can have a go at mine, all of them!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #17
Petej

Haha! If only I had the time! Maybe if I ever finish it ill give you shout! Next stop are the arrows ;-)
Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #18
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
what was wrong with the original tank?

The cleaned up bits look really good so far

Last edited by gary tompkins; 17-11-2012 at 04:13 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #19
Petej

It had expanded and was not sitting on the rubbers properly, and had pushed up around the release catch. Got a decent deal on the new one so decided to change it.

Pete
Old 12-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #20
Chris & Nean

The oil in the container in the pic you posted Petej is in-fact a semi synthetic oil, it is NOT fully synthetic.

This ‘misinformation’ by Shell, has caused owners of Adler APTC clutch equipped bikes lots of trouble.

People look at Shells price for its ‘Shell Advance Ultra 4T Fully Synthetic’ and then imagine saving money on a less expensive alternative brand.

A fully synthetic oil will negatively effect the APTC clutch in the S2R in various ways i.e. the plates can stick after the bikes been standing resulting in horrendous clunk on engaging first gear. The clutch may slip winding on the power. The plates drag causing nasty jolts going down through the gears.

Shells oil works fine and your safe to use it, others have had good results with semi synthetic alternative brands, but if you put a ‘genuine’ fully synthetic oil in your S2R your in for trouble.

Why the hell Shell call its Advance Ultra a “filly synthetic” when its not, I simply cant understand.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
zhango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Nean View Post
The oil in the container in the pic you posted Petej is in-fact a semi synthetic oil, it is NOT fully synthetic.
It is a Group 3 oil which can legally be called fully synthetic - it's not a 'real' synthetic as a Group 4 or 5 oil is but Shell is entitled to call it that. It complies with Jaso MA2 so should not cause clutch slip.

The term semi-synthetic is meaningless - it doesn't mean that it is half synthetic as the term implies. The synthetic component could be 1% which could be a Group 3 oil with the remaining 99% being a Group 2 oil.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #22
Chris & Nean

Taa for that thecnical explanation zhango. I was one of those unlucky enough to get this trouble from incorrect oil in my bike, a friend of mine also got caught, he used a different brand of fully synthetic to me but he still sufferd problems with his clutch. From my experiance I would advice anyone to stick to shells oil, experimenting aint worth the risk.

Your S2R's looking great Petej

Last edited by Chris & Nean; 12-11-2012 at 03:42 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #23
Petej

Cheers Chris that saves me the grief of purchasing what I though was the semi synth! I'll bang this in now. Does seem odd they would market fully Synth but there going to gain sales from it I guess!

Cheers again!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #24
zhango

If you want to read the Tech Data sheet for Shell Advance Ultra 4T see HERE
The important bit is the compliance with JASO:MA2 and it should be perfectly ok for wet clutches
We all know that Ducati recommend Shell because of the sponsorship of the race team but Advance 4T really is a very high quality oil.

Last edited by zhango; 12-11-2012 at 04:40 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #25
Petej

Cheers zhango, puts my mind at rest!!
Old 16-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #26
OzzyRob

Looking good mate, got much of your finger tips left after cleaning up the fork bottoms ?
Old 16-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #27
Petej

Haha they are burnt out hence no update!! I'm polishing the exhaust mow, what nightmare!!
Old 17-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #28
Petej

Having cleaned up the majority of the front the arrow system sitting in the box got the better of me so I removed the nuts and studs from the cylinders and replaced those with nice shiny ones after my visit to Rosso Corse (top guys) and offered up the Arrow system, polished the s pipes and they took ages but worth the effort.

Had a go at carbon wrapping the heel plates!

And after finding a bargain on EBay managed to pick up a carbon mud guard!!

Still to final tighten the exhaust and re connect the tank to check! Then time for the rear end clean up!

Pete
Old 18-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #29
bluestoesonnose

Not a fan of carbon but the bike it looking good and well done on those heal plates, some of the best home wrapping I've seen in a while
Old 18-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #30
pegboy

Looks awesome with those cans love the exhaust come up a treat. Don't worry about baffles when riding about everyone will hear you before u get there so safe riding