UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Back in Business - My New S4RS!

Old 14-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #46
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post
Furthest I've gotten, nervously, with the light on for a long time, is about 130miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post
Yes Bex but that's with the gentle touch of a young LADY....
And about half the weight of the rest of us! I'm not quite so sure about "the gentle touch" though! She knows how to rag it......
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #47
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
So that's 130 miles for the 796. (Thanks 'Bex' )

How about the M1100 Evo then - anyone?
Black Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #48
J.P
No more Monster...

Pretty early to get neat 130 miles on a tank. But 100-to-130 depending on how you ride it.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #49
Black Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
Pretty early to get neat 130 miles on a tank. But 100-to-130 depending on how you ride it.
I read that as:
"Pretty easy to get near 130 miles on tank... " ?
If so, that's great.

'cos I ride like a wuss.

'Bob'.
Black Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #50
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Nice bike, shame about the circumstances.

The Monster is dead, long live the Monster...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #51
m.ghallab

Cool ECU mapping/ powercommander

Hi guys, great thread.
Really enjoyed. So I have an S4RS '06. Had for two/three years now, and love it to bits.
Few points
1. I used to get 20mpg and now on motorways I can get it to 40ish (100/110miles before light comes on). Ducati pro team is my mechanic, a great guy and he sorted out the fuelling issue basically. The bike Air/Fuel balance was screwed, so it was over burning and back firing etc. Now much smoother, but I have had him done that twice now in almost 3 years, he says I should get a power commander or ECU remap. I have Full Termis Performanice Air, and performance ECU
2. Any one has any clues on bigger tanks, I know california cycles do one that is 16l, wondering if anyone knows about something here in the UK/Europe
3. I am finally gonna do this remap or a powercommander and just wanted to get some feedbacks. I am after smooth ride, economy, power, in that order.

Would love to hear from all of you

Mo
Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #52
mintyhit

Hi Mo, welcome to the forum.

In regards to the backfiring and over burning – have you ever had the throttle position sensor and idle trim reset out of interest?

These are both settings on the ECU that can be accesses by plugging in a laptop with the right software. The throttle position sensor basically needs to be set at zero with the throttle closed as this can drift over time causing the ECU to think the throttle is still open and injecting excessive fuel on the overrun. In addition to this there is an idle mixture trim, this is allows service techs to adjust the mixture for a satisfactory idle – again this can also be way out.

I’ve messed around a lot with the ECU on my bike (flashing etc.) and the symptoms you describe are exactly those when these two settings are out. If your technician is adjusting a physical screw then he might be compensating for an electronic issue if you see what I mean… which is why it gets worse again.

I’d say before investing in a remap (power commander isn’t required) I’d do the following:

1. Reset TPS
2. Reset Idle Trim
3. Verify map for the DP Full System – the ECU serial should be 96517906B

I did all of these and reloaded the DP map and my bike is very smooth in regards to power delivery.

Oh, no idea about a larger tank - Altaian on here carries a few small oil cans of fuel with him in his backpack for his streetfighter.

Last edited by mintyhit; 04-04-2013 at 09:32 AM..
Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #53
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
besides the ca cycleworks tank mentioned, there's one from japan: www.moto-works/beater/. Any option is going to carry a hefty price. Maybe one day.....

Link won't work. if you google it you'll find it.

Last edited by damien666; 04-04-2013 at 10:02 AM..
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #54
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
http://www.moto-works.jp/beater/

You missed the .jp ;-)

I don't think they're any larger just lighter and a fraction more expensive than OEM
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #55
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
cheers slob. bloody touch screen phone has a mind of it's own! cursor seems to flick all over the page and not where you want it!

just in case anyone is loaded and is thinking of one, the websites FAQ section says they generally hold at least two litres more.

Last edited by damien666; 04-04-2013 at 11:25 AM..
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #56
J.P
No more Monster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.ghallab View Post
he says I should get a power commander or ECU remap. I have Full Termis Performanice Air, and performance ECU.
3. I am finally gonna do this remap or a powercommander and just wanted to get some feedbacks. I am after smooth ride, economy, power, in that order.

Would love to hear from all of you

Mo
Hi. If you get a remap it doesn't matter what ECU you have. They crack in and change the settings that are on the chip. The DP ECU is better as standard than the original ECU, but it is still no match for a full remapping by a professional which takes it much further.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #57
mintyhit

Quote:
Hi. If you get a remap it doesn't matter what ECU you have. They crack in and change the settings that are on the chip. The DP ECU is better as standard than the original ECU, but it is still no match for a full remapping by a professional which takes it much further.

I really wish you would have kept a copy of your tuned map when you sold your bike JP! Would be really interested to compare it to DP one. Think the tuner will send you a copy if you ask nicely?

I don't think the fueling is too fair off with the DP map, going by the state of the plugs/general running etc. but I do think the DP map is retards the ignition timing too aggressively, especially below 4k giving it a slightly lazy pickup.

I can show the differences between the standard and DP map if anyone is geeky enough to be interested.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #58
J.P
No more Monster...

I'm sure the difference is pretty big, I know it was for mine once the remapping was done. And the low end problems all come back to EU regulations I'm pretty sure, even the DP chip has to pay lip-service to emmission regulations somewhere along the line, but a remapped ECU doesn't so it can be max power and max smoothness from tick-over all the way through. (I did have a DP ECU anyway before the remapping). The smoothness was the biggest difference, that's was worth the £500.

Peak power was 142 bhp at the rear wheel if I remember correctly on my S4R 998. The biggest improvement was the power curve from 3,000 to 6,000 rpm, as you would expect because that's where the emissions test is, 3,500 rpm or something.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #59
Black Bob

Quote:
Peak power was 142 bhp at the rear wheel if I remember correctly on my S4R 998.
Christ on a bike. I thought it was a bit bloody quick.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #60
Phatty

Stunning bike. Just made the same move myself. Got an S4 at the moment, which I was going to do red and white like your old one, but picking up an S4RS tomorrow with a red frame and white wheels and bodywork. I can't wait to see the difference. I adore the S4, had no plans to change to another bike but couldn't resist this S4RS when it came up for sale.