UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Dukedesmo's M900 project - the intro...

Old 16-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #61
Nottsbiker

Unless the lottery goes my way sometime soon yours will definately be done before mine.

I'm 'almost' tempted to get another engine to use to get mine mobile, but spending £500+ on a random lump is galling as I'd much rather invest that in my own.
Old 17-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #62
fuelline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker View Post
Unless the lottery goes my way sometime soon yours will definately be done before mine.

I'm 'almost' tempted to get another engine to use to get mine mobile, but spending £500+ on a random lump is galling as I'd much rather invest that in my own.
Indeed a secondhand engine with all the promises in the world will only cost you more...a lot more than you were expecting to spend. You just need to be prepared to stick your hand in your pocket. Don't ask how I know.
Old 17-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #63
bluestoesonnose

2x on that last comment

Been there done that with motors, it's easier and cheaper to fix what you have, unless it's FUBAR
Old 17-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #64
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Been slow lately but did get the wheels assembled & ready to fit;

Also got the engine cases painted before taking them to a professional to rebuild the bottom end, including crank balance.

Used VHT paint on cases, cylinders, heads & rocker covers and then baked for 1hr at 200 degrees.

Who said a term of 'domestic science' was a waste of time at School?

Fit nicely in the oven, did them late at night so as not to taint the dinner.

Turned out OK;

Picked up bottom end today, couldn't resist a 'test' fit to see how it looks;

Looking to get the heads built up and then put it together, checking squish etc. before starting on actually building the bike.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #65
Petej

That engine looks absolutely superb, I'd love to be knowledgable enough to do the same to mine! But the stripping of the engine would lose me!

Superb!
Old 18-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #66
bluestoesonnose

Loving this build, keep up the good work
Old 18-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #67
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
Quality work
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #68
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Trouble with rebuilds this good.. it seems a shame to ride them and get it dirty afterwards
Old 18-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #69
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins View Post
Trouble with rebuilds this good.. it seems a shame to ride them and get it dirty afterwards
Well 2 years and counting and I've not ridden it yet, so don't hold your breath.

Anyway, inspired to actually ride it next summer, I've been assembling the heads; new bearings, valve stem seals, fitted/shimmed the rocker shafts & rockers, MBP retainers and valves

Still need to adjust the valve clearances but struggling with that as I've only got a small selection of shims so put them together with what I'd got so that I can claim a small victory.

Old 19-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #70
Duc600mon

great thread, your bike is coming on well!
Old 19-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #71
daz4004

a small question when you painted the engine with vht did you need to etch prime first and then just sprayed with vht paint,as i have used vht paint before and found it was very easy to scrap off,any advised on engine paint would be good ie engine colour and make of vht paint and prep cheers.loving you build looking forward to see you finshed job.
Old 19-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #72
Dukedesmo

I did use etch primer on the crankcase halves and then VHT paint over the top but then read (on the can) that the VHT should be straight on the metal? so did the heads & cylinders without primer but blasted to get a good surface.

Also not sure how heat resistant etch primer is but the cases don't get as hot hot as the heads anyway.

I am actually wondering if VHT is too soft and if I should use some kind of clear coat over it?

At the moment I have the case side covers done in etch prime whilst I'm deciding on what colour/finish to do them...

Old 19-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #73
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I've also found that vht paint seems a little soft at first, particularly when dry but not cured.
Its harder after heat curing, but I think it carries on getting harder with subsequent heat and time, beyond an hour or so in the oven.

I did my new, bare ally reg/rec in halfords vht recently.
I dunno how hot it actually gets, but better safe than sorry...and no primer needed either.
Obviously, I couldn't cure it in the oven.
I did leave it as close as I dared to the radiator for a day or so, but it was still soft and marked easily when I was fitting it.
I pondered a clear laquer at the time, but it was fitted by then, so I left it.
Since then it seems to have hardened up in use though, and I've noticed no further stone chips etc (its mounted under the headstock, so it does get a bit of a peppering). I haven't exactly scratched at it or anything, so I don't really know, but it still looks fine, after a couple of years in use.
Don't take my word for it, but I think it gets harder.

Incidently, halfords vht range contains (and I used) a rather nice matt charcoal colour (I think they actually call it black), with a tiny metallic sparkle, that looks good if you're after a kind of stealth bling.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #74
daz4004

Wink

thanks guys for that i think ill have to have a go with halford paint and give it some heat thanks again
Old 02-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #75
Dukedesmo

So, after a short break (servicing the 916 and the inevitable waiting for parts), I got back on the build today and fitted the pistons, barrels, heads & belts;

Next job is to check/alter the cam timing and then the engine can go into the frame to start building an actual bike, I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel now...