UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Dukedesmo's M900 project - the intro...

Old 13-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #31
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
I'm now suffering from a really bad attack of workshop envy
Old 18-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #32
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Still deciding whether to move the battery support cross member back by a few mm as the horizontal intake stack is very close and I'd be happier with more clearance plus it would be easier to fit an air filter;

And there it was gone;

Got to be careful with new location as moving the battery back requires moving it up to clear the rocker cover, there's room under the tank but may need to angle the battery forwards slightly to be comfortable.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #33
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Is there enough room to re-fit brace between the rocker cover and the battery, and still get access to and remove cover if needed for shim checks? If so... you could to flip the brace/ battery support tabs 180 degrees and mount it facing forward.

Would be a lot easier to visualise space available with the battery box offered up into position
Old 19-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #34
Dukedesmo

No, as it would be virtually touching the rocker cover and because the frame rails drop down it would also sit on the intake manifold.

I'm going to move it back by 15mm (in line with the vertical rail below) this gives space for an air filter on the rear carb and, with the battery raised a few mm, clears the rocker cover whilst still fitting under the tank. This is based on a standard sized battery, just need to get some suitable tube as the cut-out piece is too short.

Then need to devise somewhere to fit the under-tank stuff such as ignition module & coils as the rear filter will sit up against the battery, but there is plenty of space in front of the carbs.

Old 19-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #35
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
This is how I did it, using the original brace that went across the frame, the battery holder sits on the two tabs, however I have now moved it and the battery sits under the seat, will take a picture later.

Last edited by Kato; 19-09-2012 at 07:58 AM..
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #36
Dukedesmo

Interesting, do you have any higher res pics of the cross-brace area? be interested to see your new battery setup too.

Old 19-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #37
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

While you two are here good, ready made spark plug cables and cups any suggestions? To fit monster and dyna coils.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #38
Kato
Dismantled

Magnecor

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/pr...-leads-ccp.asp

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #39
Dukedesmo

I have Taylor Silicone leads/Dynacoils/Ignitech, look good and I'm sure they'll work fine but not fitted yet.

Old 21-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #40
Dukedesmo

So made a new brace and fitted 15mm further back;

Filter now fits over the intake stack;

Battery is a tight fit, especially as I'm planning to use a 'Motobatt' which is 3mm thicker than the Yuasa but it clears the underside of the tank, although I need to lift it around 10mm to clear the rocker cover but as long as I'm careful with the battery box dimensions there should be no issue.

Next step to strip down to bare frame to get the welding finished and frame blasted/painted, although probably do another test assembly first just to be sure.

Old 22-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #41
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I'm liking your taste in workshop rugs.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #42
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
I'm liking your taste in workshop rugs.
'Borrowed' from the house, although not ideal if much grinding or welding goes on - may be slightly 'workshop soiled' after the antics of the last few days...

Old 27-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #43
Dukedesmo

Painting questions...

So, engine removed & bare frame now fully welded & cleaned up. Test fit of engine shows clearance around carbs etc is good and I'm ready for paint.

I'm thinking powder coat would be a better finish and will be doing frame, wheels and suspension hoop. A a couple of questions for those in the know;

My front wheel is new and so no bearings fitted - how best to protect bearing holes from paint?

Rear wheel is used and has bearings and cush drives, although I will be replacing both. I will remove the cush drives before paint as I can see removal being a job that could result in scratching but (returning to the first question re new wheel) would it be good to leave the bearings in to protect the bearing faces? Same applies to head bearing races in the headstock?

With the frame, I have heard horror stories of powder coating hiding frame numbers, thus making MOT etc a problem, how best to 'mask' the frame number?

Presumably a good powder coater would know all the above so can anyone recommend a good painter, preferably in the East Midlands (Leics, Notts, Lincs etc)? although I don't mind travelling for a quality job.

One more thing, there is a small tab on the right side of the frame near to the shock mount that looks like it maybe a problem to paint due to the small gap between it and the frame. Can anyone tell me what it's for and if I need it, or can cut it off for a cleaner look?

Pic of said frame tab;

Old 27-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #44
slob

tab is for the taillight/rear indicator connector block
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #45
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

That tab is what you use to keep connectors tidy to the frame. That one may well be the rear brake light switch connector. The connector has a moulded part which just slips over the tab. There should be about 3-4 across the frame. Just bend it a bit to get paint on it and gently bend back once painted.

Powdercoats cheaper and tougher, but as you said can be annoying if they do too thick in some areas. Paint is good but more expensive to get done.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote