UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Dukedesmo's M900 project - the intro...

Old 15-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
Nottsbiker

Looks like a nice project bike in the making like I'd do if I didn't needed to waste, sorry spend it else where.
Old 15-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #17
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Front end...

Front end...

Well already mentioned the forks and how the yokes needed some engineering to fit them, worth mentioning that although the bottom yoke shims are in fact made as a bush; ie completely circular, I will be taking a cut out of them vertically so that I can be certain of a good grip around the fork legs - I don't want them sliding up through the yokes when hard on the brakes.

Of course radial mounts need radial calipers and I found a good deal on a set of new Brembo M4 Monobloc calipers from an Aprilia dealer who was having a bit of a clearout.

These are the same calipers as fitted to 1198 except that the Aprilia versions are gold coloured rather than grey - combined with a Brembo RCS radial master cylinder and Brembo full-floating discs - I am not expecting the brakes to be wanting in any way.

I quite like the gold, a little bling is nice and they match the rear caliper too;

You may notice in that that there's a 3-spoke wheel on there, but I want to match up with the rear and I prefer the look of and the lower weight (usually) of the more spindly spokes so, to this end I bought a 5-spoke front.

It's not the same design as the rear, rather it is from a MHe900 and is a nicer (IMO) wheel than the rear, and much lighter than the 3-spoke but as it's new, grey and got no bearings (or tyre) it's not fitted yet and is waiting for paint along with the frame and rear wheel before fitting with bearings, discs & tyre.

Not quite decided on front mudguard yet, I have a new Monster DP carbon-fibre mudguard and also a DP 916 carbon mudguard, both fit (as does an 1198).

The Monster version is longer at the rear and so will keep the engine slightly cleaner and looks more 'Monstery' but the SBK version is more substantial at the sides and has better fork leg protection and since the 916 forks have slightly longer sliders they are more exposed to road debris but it is very short at the rear as the SBK models have fairings to keep the engine clean - so, for now the jury is out on this one.

You will notice that this pic shows a black tank rather than the previous silver one, more on that in the next installment...

On to the steering damper; I don't know if it will need one? but I'm fitting one anyway.

I prefer the across the tank (916) style of damper to the long frame mounted version but it is proving more tricky to sort out.

I've got a suitable adjustable damper and a mixture of ST & (later) Monster mounting brackets and although none of the brackets are quite right, due mainly to the handlebar clamp bolt spacings being narrower on the early (like mine) Monster, I will be getting suitable bracket(s) made once I've finalised the how & where.

Here's a pic to give the general idea;

It fits OK onto the frame (through the ignition lock bolts) but I need a bracket to suit the bar clamp spacings and also suitable spacer to get the height just right due to the forks being longer meaning that I need higher bar risers.

This part is still under consideration though so likely to change.

More later...

Last edited by Dukedesmo; 15-02-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint aka ML View Post
Well I would fit it for pure looks!!

Old 15-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
For longer forks I overcome it with bar risers but with angle change so my bars are up and back towards the tank.

It had an unexpected effect that I like of me sitting on a monster with feel more like supermotard then sports bike. Sweet as encourages supermoto style riding and improves visibility.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #20
Dukedesmo

Tank, bodywork & colour...

So, the basic layout of the bike established I need to look into the tank, 'bodywork' & colour.

Initially I was thinking red but then had a change of plan when I found a nice metallic silver tank, plus I already have a red Ducati. Either way the frame & wheels were always going to be black.

I then later found a new black Metallic tank and was smitten with it, black and sparkly and I like the dark, stealth, even mean look - Wife said it looks like a 'Devil bike'...

Metallica;

'Sparklies';

The tank is for a later model 'Monster Metallica' which are 900ie models so although it fits fine it has provision for internal electric fuel pump/filter etc so will require a little thinking to get it right for a carby bike.

I have an electric pump assembly and will run a 'loop' to the carbs with a return to the tank to ensure that they don't get over-pressurised (I understand FCR's tend to leak/overflow if the pressure is too high), hopefully this will work OK? if still too much then I will need to fit/devise some kind of pressure regulator or reducer.

Anyway I'm glad to get rid of the external, mechanical fuel pump, tap & filter to reduce clutter and give me more cool air flow to the rear cylinder to help keep the temperature down.

Moving onto 'bodywork', not a faired bike but as you all know there are several plastic parts here & there and I'm a bit of a Carbon-fibre fan which, combined with the black bike look you can see where this is going; Carbon-fibre mudguard, hugger, side panels, seat cowl, belt covers, air 'deflectors', exhaust heat shields, number plate tray thingy and I've got a carbon fibre flyscreen that I will test for wind reduction and, assuming it helps in that area I will probably fit, unless it really spoils the look - again the jury is out on that one for now.

To be continued...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020201a.jpg (31.0 KB, 721 views)
File Type: jpg P1020206a.jpg (30.7 KB, 719 views)
File Type: jpg P1010435a.jpg (29.8 KB, 721 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0249a.jpg (32.0 KB, 726 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0248a.jpg (31.4 KB, 738 views)

Old 18-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #21
lukylac

Thumbs up

Maximum respect to your project! I'm very excited about the resut. Nice to read and see your pictures. No.1
Old 18-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #22
Nottsbiker

I think that the black theme will really suit the bike, but the screen will ruin it in my humble opinion
Old 18-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #23
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker View Post
I think that the black theme will really suit the bike, but the screen will ruin it in my humble opinion
Yes, I might agree with you on that. I'm torn between looks and practicality as some wind protection would be be nice.

I need to see and try the finished article both with and without...

Old 18-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #24
Nottsbiker

If out were me I'd keep the fairing the shed and only fit it when I went on long trips like events and holidays etc.

Monsters are all about style after all
Old 19-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #25
Zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker View Post
If out were me I'd keep the fairing the shed and only fit it when I went on long trips like events and holidays etc.

Monsters are all about style after all
Agreed! Fairing does nothing for a monsters looks.

Z.
Old 19-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #26
Nottsbiker

I'm watching this with interest mate

Wish I could justify this kind of expenditure on my project, but have to spend big ££'s on a new kitchen / getting our house renovated first - after that I'll be straight on the phone to Mr Ohlins and co.

Last edited by Nottsbiker; 19-02-2012 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: speeling
Old 13-09-2012, 04:36 AM   #27
mholc123

OK I'm on nights and maybe I've missed it somewhere but dieing to know how this turned out.
Old 13-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #28
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholc123 View Post
OK I'm on nights and maybe I've missed it somewhere but dieing to know how this turned out.
Hope you weren't holding your breath?

Despite getting my flowed heads back some months ago, things did stall due to a couple of building projects - one of which was a workshop refurb which is now all done, so now I have no excuse.

The idea of getting it done for this year has now gone but I'm now aiming for a an over-winter project to be on the road in the spring.

To this end I actually made a new start yesterday with a minor alteration to the frame due to the float chamber of the vertical cylinder carb touching one of the cross-braces, which I know from experience (with a KTM) can only end badly when the bottom of the carb splits and fuel pours over the engine.

A few pics,

Cross brace moved slightly further forward;

Still deciding whether to move the battery support cross member back by a few mm as the horizontal intake stack is very close and I'd be happier with more clearance plus it would be easier to fit an air filter;

At least now I have a better working space, previously was cold, dark, damp & dusty.

More updates (hopefully) soon.

Old 13-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #29
Dookbob

I just gotta hand it to ya Dukedesmo, this is going to be one absolutely gorgeous piece of mobile artwork. Come to think of it, it already is.
Old 13-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #30
Nottsbiker

I'm currently doing C&G level 1 welding at night school so I'm following your bracing changes with much interest