UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » He11cats M600

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #16
He11cat

I know not to mix acrylic and 2k paints ..big bubbly peely messes!!

No this is a very faint crazing.. but enough to show..you can dust anything over the top and suddenly in front of your eyes you get a tiny patch of crazing..

Im quite a careful person.. it took me weeks to get to last stage as I was so over fussy and careful..
There is an odd chemical reaction going on somewhere.. not as drastic as you'd get with the above but there just the same.. im now back to priming and even then I am getting this problem only little bits but if the base isnt right it will go right through the paint.

so I am dusting a tiny bit of primer over the fairing watching for the crackle then stripping it right back again.. then spray a fine coat again to see if it comes back again I have got to keep doing this until what ever it is has been sanded off... its a mare..

And no I am not spraying to much on..
I am no expert I just enjoy painting anything except decorating lol..

I suspect it was a reaction between the final top coat of clear and flake and either paint or clear and laquer..
I think wrong laquer.. although the nossel was faulty..

I asked for a clear laquer for the mix of paint I got and they said we don't do it.. this is what we have been using for bikes... hmmmmm...

Any way nothing I can do except work away eliminating the problem.. ie sanding back spray and watch.. if reacts go back to plastic again...
Old 27-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
He11cat

Can I ask you something?

I had a bike with a nice pearl paint job but had a horrible decal on it .. it didn't seem to be under the clear coat but anyway...hairdryer prob have done the job!

my bike was away having some mods done and said we will take the decal off..

I was fine with that as persons best mates a sprayer by trade
I got the bike back and it didn't look the same.. he said oh I just tcut it a little for you to bring the colour up ..

The bike had been sprayed pearl with lots of laquer for over 18 months so should have been settled.

It looked flat.. on closer inspection when person had gone.. no bloody laquer left and the pearl well.. not very pearl.. took the bike out and chunks of paint came away.. I leant against it and it came away like butter down to the primer..

I got a friend or two round to look and all said looks like your bikes been brake fluided!!..

it was coming away right down to the primer and even that wasn't good..something had been done.

What would cause this??
Bike had been shown and ridden previously with no probs just when it came back to me ..like painted in butter!

Last edited by He11cat; 27-12-2009 at 12:24 PM..
Old 27-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
dunlop0_1

If you are starting a fresh the try and get some barcoat (trade name) to use after the primer. You only need one coat and their is no need to rub it down. This will stop any reaction from underneath.

Regards the pearl. If the paintwork was 18 months old then it should have been good for life. Brake fluid as a cause i doubt as it would have gone straight down to the plastic. It is possible (and i have seen this happen) that if what appers to be perfect paintwork or laquer when first applied is not done at the right time intervals months or even years later it can if chipped or scratched start to come off. It starts small and gets worse and worse until great sheets of the finish come off.
Saw it happen on a 12 month old Triumph 675 when the mechanic where i used to work was a bit impatient taking the tank protector off.

Better if i could have seen it close up but damn sure it did'nt do it with out some help.
Alas you will probably never know.
Old 27-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #19
kneedown

nice looking bike hc
Old 27-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #20
He11cat

Oh I have pics the whole bike has to be resprayed ... although now il prob just sell it..its had 2 new tyres and a garage has had it apart to check it all..and I rode it to North Yorkshire and back.
and full tax and ticket will be on it.
something had been done because its just the tank.... and the bike looked different when it came back.. dull lifeless paint... and the laquer had vanished...the pearl was not as thick either..

this came off like soft butter... i leant on it and it just came away as I pushed the bike.
leant on it hundreds of times before it went away and leant and pushed on it hundreds of times before with no issues.. as I said friends took it out for spins for me.. and it was shown..

Only happened after I got it back..
I can get you a pick no sweat its still like it but the paint went back hard.. but will need a respray. or the tank will at least.
Sorry its just bugged me for the last year as the bike was modified for me and was a custom one off Streetfighter... stunning bike as well.. and well known as mine..
Thanks for the advise!!!! il see if I can order some!

Its gone hard again now but is sadly chipped down to the primer.
Old 27-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #21
He11cat

Thanks Kneedown... :0) have you seen my arm!!?????
I am well happy with it ..not finished yet
Old 18-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #22
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
Glad the fairing worked out for you! Did you manage to get a screen for it?
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #23
weimeranerman

HC That black is almost as nice as my Red Monster!
Old 19-03-2010, 02:19 AM   #24
He11cat

@ Spacemonkey got a screen just resorting fairing paint job out. Will post a picture when I have done it again.

@ Weimeranerman thanks .. maybe I should have gone for red to match the colour of my eyes..hmm.

Seats back now re-covered, but its higher then my other lowered seat .. I will see how much higher at the weekend but has a nice comfy gel pad in it.
Old 27-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #25
He11cat

Seats now back.. love it, sculpted sides gel pad..
Discotastic back.. although more blue then green ... wanted a greener colour but its more um sea green metalflake.
Bloody swatches!!
Zodiac is used for old style diner seat covers , and cars. Is hardwearing.
Popular with Hodrod / Ratrods guys.
Got lots left lol...
Is a tad higher then the thin lowered seat I have.
I will cover the other seat as well.. purple I thinks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hectorseat2.jpg (30.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg hectorseat.jpg (31.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 27-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #26
BluprintZ

Hey, that's a bit of alright missus!
Paint looks trick as well Melanie, nice one.

Meant paint effect, soz!

G ; ) .

Last edited by BluprintZ; 28-03-2010 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: missed out wordio.
Old 27-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #27
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
That's neat idea - looks like it's got a painted seat cowel on it

Do they do other nice sparkly colours?
Old 28-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #28
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

Very nice looking seat, who covered it for you? My SS needs the seat recovering! I think ill go for black, not spangley green!

Yorkie
Old 28-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #29
He11cat

I actually wanted it the other way round but was advised against it for wear.

I would like a purple seat done with embroidery only something silly I love piped seats as well.
The cowl look with a number 06 (six is my lucky number) on or even just a little tricolor would be sweet.
The guy who did this makes the furniture on james Bond sets and royalty lol... and my ample bottom.
I have driven him nuts as I think it needs shaving down more... he's done my two bikes now.

I did ask if he could make me a glittery sofa...
Im a bit of a retro 50's diner look freak if only I had the car to match!

I have the staple gun I need to cover seats at work as I have enough fabric to cover a whole seat but my boss who loves me so much said no.. I can't borrow one for the night even if I covered costs/ staples paid for new one if it broke and signed to say I had it... ffs..oh same was for a rotring pen..no can borrow.
I like to make things but maybe I should stick to cakes lol... I can see me in A&E stapled to a seat
Old 28-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #30
He11cat

Actually Yorkie I have now found someone local who did a fine job on a trike of my friends.
And turned it round super fast .. the seats are top class a bike seat and whole car seats.

The guy who did mine il give you his email and il find out about the guy in Bramford.
il pm you..
I am taking my other seat to Bramford because its a straight cover job and I want it back bloody fast!!
Il nab the number and pm you give me a day to do so.
I checked out his work and was dam good and came in at a bloody good price!!