UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Dead.... expired, an ex Monster...

Old 19-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #31
JerryT

Nice work - you must be feeling rather satisfied.

Now promise us you'll avoid Pan European's for a while...

Old 19-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #32
banditloon

I hope the cylinder head studs hold together for another 17 years before I meet another Pan Euro on the A30
Old 30-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #33
banditloon

I took Her Holyness round to my local MOT test centre to be greeted with a failure sheet. Excessive play in the rear wheel bearings. Ok, I thought, the bearings have been in the wheel a few years, done a few miles, lets get some new ones. Off I head on a trip to Moto Rapido, picked up some new bearings and rear wheel spacers and sorted. Or so I thought! Took my Monster back to the MOT centre after fitting the new bits and again, failed! More scratching of head was required, then I decided to double check my spannering from the night before. Off the wheel comes, and off rolls one of the bearings under the sofa in the secret workshop! The brake disc hub is deceased, cream crackered, ********, falling apart, dead, broken! As the rest of the wheel looks like a bad day in a paint removing factory, I decided a job for the winter needs doing right now, well more yesterday!

The poor old Brembo had given up. 18 years of abuse. Around 70,000 miles covered, left to rot in Cornwall somewhere on the back of the Monster. The poor old thing needs retiring. Thank you old Brembo for keeping my bike upright (most of the time) and rolling along. A quick trawl through eBay and a replacement was found.

A trip to High Wycombe on a Sunday morning and this 'new' wheel was swapped for £50. A few phone calls on Monday and a local powder coaters was found and I ordered all the new final drive dampeners (cush drives to me) and disc bolts were ordered from Bedfont Ducati.

The rear wheel was picked up from the powder coaters a week later. The rear wheel looks good, a few little blemishes from some marks that were already in the wheel, other than that, it's a vast improvement on the original wheel!

After a quick trip to Feltham Tyre Centre to get the tyre swapped over and Bedfont Ducati (I still can't help thinking that is funny, a Ducati garage in Bedfont... Strange!!) to pick up the new final drive dampeners and disc bolts and the wheel was back fitted in it's rightful place! No play in the bearings at all! A years medical passed and now the old girl is back on the road.

I have ridden the bike home tonight as it seemed to be staying dry for a change. The old bike felt better than ever, I hate to admit it, even better than after having a full service at Rosso Corse!

After my (forced) early refurbishment of the rear wheel, it's time to get back on to planning the refurb for the front end. The front wheel needs powder coating / painting, overhaul of the braking system, and I might change the clocks back to the standard speedo / idiot light set up, oh and not forgetting a respray on the tank. One thing though, I can finally see the end of this madness!!

Then I might start rebuilding the Bandit... Or not!

Last edited by banditloon; 01-07-2011 at 07:56 PM..
Old 14-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #34
banditloon

Just a quick update to point out that if you don't use a throughly loved 1993 Monster 900 for 6 weeks, it will not start when you decide it's time for bike playtime! Poxy temperamental Italian thing!

Oh well, I'll just have to use the dinky, but not so dinky MINI....
Old 30-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #35
banditloon

The down hill, slippery slop of owning a Monster.

This very spot on the 23rd December 2006. This is where the money was exchanged for the key to Her Holyness.

In five years, a lot has changed. My wallet has stayed empty, I've got less hair, a fatter belly, different leathers and gloves and promotion at work. One of the oldest Monsters in the village is still alive, and she is mine!

So far this year she has been to Ness Point, Land's End and The Lizard. Three out of four of the most extreme points of England is not too bad for the old 1993 Monster!

Land's End.

The Lizard

Ness Point

Next year, well apart from the Horsham Piazza Italia run and Auto Italia at Brooklands, the rest will be an adventure (and without the MINI, I hope!).

As for changes on Nessie, well apart from a service is now due, new tyres, MOT and insurance, I do have a couple of other plans to freshen up the 18 year old lump! Updates will appear in due corse!
Old 23-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #36
banditloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditloon View Post

This very spot on the 23rd December 2006. This is where the money was exchanged for the key to Her Holyness.
It was about this time, five years ago I returned back to Walton with Her Holyness. Cold, wet, tired, hungry, back hurting, but hey, I had got the bike I had always wanted since I past my bike test in 1993!!

And still she is alive!!

Merry Christmas UKMOCers!!
Old 23-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #37
chris yeatman
I still have the s4r!

Bike: S4r
Top work, merry xmas.
Old 24-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #38
manwithredbike
aka Phil

Bike: M900
i remember reading this thread a few years ago and thinking, sh1t - wouldn't fancy that. now i'm in the middle of a top end rebuild which i am doing on my own and actually enjoying. good to see you're rolling again. well done and the bike is looking sweet
(spooky but mine now also has a small black bellypan and sawn-off black front mudguard and c/f cans)

Last edited by manwithredbike; 24-12-2011 at 12:13 AM..
manwithredbike is offline   Reply With Quote