UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » 1999 M600 has been sitting for 5 years - what to do?

Old 29-02-2020, 02:30 PM   #46
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
If you're compressing the clutch springs fitting the slave my guess is its too long with the extension piece in.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 03:15 PM   #47
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
There are generally only two lengths of clutch pushrod for the first generation of Monsters.
The early ones are 325mm long. Around 2002 a new slave was introduced with a deeper piston. The pushrod was suitably amended to 335mm.
This is why the Oberon slaves are supplied with a 10mm spacer, so you can pop that in to use with the early pushrod or without for the later ones.

Now, Ducati also introduced an "Anti-spin" pushrod slightly after the rod length increase and the slave was again revised to incorporate "Anti-spin" slots.
The rods are now supplied with the anti-spin pins as standard and you simply knock these out if your slave will not accommodate them.

The joy is that Oberon slaves not only take the longer rod without the spacer but also have anti-spin slots, so you can upgrade your 600 to the later spec with a new rod part No 11721122A. It comes complete with pin and O-rings.
Old 29-02-2020, 03:33 PM   #48
jamminbmx

Bike: M600
It’s not compressing the clutch springs I don’t think. Only the return spring in the Oberon.

Is that 30mm total exposed rod from where it appears from the crank case?
jamminbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #49
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminbmx View Post
Is that 30mm total exposed rod from where it appears from the crank case?
It's 30mm of exposed pushrod. Or you could just extract the whole pushrod and measure it. As Mr Gazza said, if it's 325mm, you need the spacer; 335mm and no spacer required.

More information here:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=58107
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 05:16 PM   #50
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

It's a pita to remove the pushrod on a wet clutch bike, drain oil and side cover off. Easier to find out what the length should be by how much should protrude from the case.

Old 29-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #51
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

It should be withdrawn from the slave side, but they have a habit of hanging on to the pressure plate top hat on the dry clutch. In theory it should only be O-ring resistance in the top hat to overcome, which should be relatively easy if it's been bathed in oil? But then I've not done a wet one.
Old 29-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #52
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
True!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
It should be withdrawn from the slave side, ...it should only be O-ring resistance in the top hat to overcome, which should be relatively easy...
False!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
It's a pita to remove the pushrod on a wet clutch bike, drain oil and side cover off. Easier to find out what the length should be by how much should protrude from the case.
The last time I removed mine (1100 Evo) was last August when I had to replace the broken gearchange return spring. The pushrod slid out easily using finger and thumb and took about 45 seconds including removal of the slave cylinder.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 06:10 PM   #53
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yes that's the theory but with the dry clutch at least the bearing didn't yield so had to come out the long way. Maybe with a wet clutch it will be easier?

Old 29-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #54
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I quote from Post #14 of The Clockie's thread which Luddite linked to above... This is worth checking if you have not already done so.

"Bemused, I tried it one more time with the clutch fully assembled and realised that the Oberon wasn't seating on the case because the body was fouling the chain. And the reason for that was that whoever assembled it left the screw-in plug on the inner face in the wrong position so the cutaway that should give clearance for the chain didn't do so."

As far as I know here is not a spring in the slave, and it would be unusual on any hydraulic slave? (Beside which it would be trying to push the piston away from the rod to do any good, while hydraulic pressure is what pushes it towards the rod.)
The resistance that you felt when screwing the slave down could have been fluid being pushed back up the hose, if you had already connected it, or air in the hose being compressed? Thinking about it, it would be unlikely that you connected the line to the slave before screwing it down, but if the bung was still in the banjo hole then possibly it might seal well enough to create some resistance?.
My slave always slides over the rod right up to the mating face with no resistance.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 29-02-2020 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: More thinking..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #55
The Clockie

I think there is a light spring behind the piston in the slave that keeps it in contact with the rod, thus preventing lost motion at the lever. It certainly felt like that on the S4R Oberon installation. If the bike under discussion is a 1999 model, my understanding is that it should need the spacer. Or have I got that wrong?

Nick
Old 01-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #56
jamminbmx

So the rod measures 305mm and there is 25mm exposed so i installed it back with the spacer. I had a google and it seems there were 3 lengths of rod - 305 / 325 / 335mm. My bike is an Italian import so could be a mixture of bikes to be honest! No history.

Its a 1999 according to VIN.

Not i sure if there is or isnt a spring! My guess would be there is! Feels too easy to be the clutch springs.

Rod is super easy to remove. Only 2 O-rings holding it in place. I think this is a wet clutch?

Didnt get a chance to start it today but will keep you informed!

Last edited by jamminbmx; 02-03-2020 at 12:34 PM..
Old 02-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #57
jamminbmx

It’s alive!

Got home from work and after much swearing at the fuel hose routing under the tank I cranked it for AGES. Convinced it had a blockage so opened the carb drains and fuel came out. Eventually it fired and ran rough then got better. Ran it until I felt dizzy in my shed. Far too wet for a test ride but a good start!
Old 02-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #58
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuoKNZjr8_U

Old 02-03-2020, 08:11 PM   #59
jamminbmx

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
That is literally exactly what happened in my shed
Old 02-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #60
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

You went mad and had to be restrained? Lol!