UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Cambelt tensioner bearings

Old 22-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #1
MotoNik
Bronze Member

Bike: M600
Cambelt tensioner bearings

Can anyone recommend a good source for tensioner bearings for my '96 M600, please? I'm doing the belts and the rear cylinder feels ever so slightly rough.

Last edited by MotoNik; 22-02-2020 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Spelling
MotoNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Moto Rapido or any good bearing supplier for cheaper. I personally use SKF bearings without fail..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 07:33 PM   #3
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Ducati cam adjuster bearings have no identification numbers on them
Stein Dinse, the major German Ducati parts supplier quote
SKF 6201-2RSH (no mention of C3 anywhere) x 4

ExactFit are the UK distributers for California Cycle Works) are spec’d as C3, which made sense to me as they run in a pretty hot place.
C3 refers to the tolerance between the race and the balls with C3 being made looser for a hotter environment - apologies if I am trying to teach you to suck eggs.

Personally I use Simply Bearings - prices as good as you will find, almost always has the stock, delivery within 2 days FOC. For cam adjuster bearings I would pay the extra for SKF.

The fixed idler bearing is a Ducati special and an odd size, I searched high and low for alternatives for mine but ended up with Moto Rapido with 10% forum discount at C £33, a bit better than Stein Dinse at Euros 48 each.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 09:55 PM   #4
MotoNik
Bronze Member

Thanks very much for the replies guys, it's really appreciated. I basically have Craig at Rapido on speed dial at the moment, so I'll be asking him to add these to my most recent order!
Old 23-02-2020, 06:57 AM   #5
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
SKF 6201 2RS about £2.70 each

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 09:25 AM   #6
MotoNik
Bronze Member

Thank you my good man!
Old 23-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
Flip

I changed my tensioner bearings for C3’s (as per Stuart at ExactFit’s recommendation) a while back but still need to change the fixed ones which I think Moto Rapido are currently listing at about £80 the pair less our 10% discount.

Old 25-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #8
MotoNik
Bronze Member

I ended up getting these:

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p6...duct_info.html

They're not the C3 ones - I should have read the post above a bit more thoroughly. Just debating whether to order the C3 bearings instead now. What's the consensus of opinion?

Nik
Old 25-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #9
manwithredbike
aka Phil

The C3s have slightly more clearance between the races for expansion. They're prob much the same price as the ones you already got and maybe they will exchange them easily enough (though for that price it's not a big loss).
I'd fit the C3s just to be sure. it's only a slackish rubber timing belt running over them but best play safe than have a bearing seize up imo.

Last edited by manwithredbike; 25-02-2020 at 10:00 PM..
manwithredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 10:38 PM   #10
MotoNik
Bronze Member

You're right - best to get the C3 bearings, given that they're only £4 each. I'm inclined to think the ones I have will likely be fine for the amount of use they'll be getting, so I may fit them for now and check them periodically.
Old 25-02-2020, 11:14 PM   #11
Dukedesmo

I was checking the belts on my M900 last week with the intention of leaving them if OK as they're only 2 years old and not done many miles.

But the front cylinder belt was riding against the outer edge of the pulley flange and had left a deposit of rubber dust in the guard.

The only thing I could find wrong was a small amount of play in the outer tensioner bearing - it had a 'click' where it could fall slightly down and presumably this was tracking the belt outwards?

For the sake of £4 each I changed them all whilst there along with new belts, I used C3 bearings as I think it's best due to the heat and dry environment.

I also bought an extra bearing as the same type is used in the clutch pressure plate...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 12:12 AM   #12
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
When I first bought my 750, I had an issue with belt dust in the covers.
The bike had only done 2000 miles at the time and was on its second or third set of belts.
I discovered that the outer belt was rubbing against the pressed steel washer fitted as an outer flange on the double belt pulley.
This was rubbing away the belt teeth and allowing the belt to migrate outwards where the remaining, toothless portion of belt was bandsawing its way through the plastic belt cover.
It had almost completely cut away a small section of the plastic cover, which was about to drop off and foul between belt and pulley, potentially causing unthinkable damage.
I deduced that the pressed steel washer/flange had been fitted the wrong way around, leaving its sharp edge facing towards the belt instead of the more rounded edge.
I smoothed this off with a needle file and have had no further trouble in the subsequent 27,000 miles.
Dunno how relevant this is to your situation but I thought it worth passing on the info and you can investigate and analyse accordingly.
I assumed at the time that my bike had been fitted with a faulty pulley where the washer/flange had been fitted the wrong way round.
Another forum member reported the same issues at the time, as I recall.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #13
MotoNik
Bronze Member

That sounds horrifying!

Just received new tensioner pinch bolts, wavy washers, and e-clips for the tensioner bearings, so the new belts can go in tonight. Very excited!
Old 26-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #14
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
For the sake of £4 each I changed them all whilst there along with new belts, I used C3 bearings as I think it's best due to the heat and dry environment.

I also bought an extra bearing as the same type is used in the clutch pressure plate...
Yes I changed my clutch pressure plate bearing too but that’s not a C3 spec as apparently it runs cooler- I do have an open cover though.

MotoNik- have you changed the fixed bearings as well and you manage to get the tensioner ones off their brackets okay?

Apparently if you order the tensioner bearings from Ducati they are supplied on the brackets and as one large bearing the same as the fixed ones as opposed to two bearings fitted on the shaft. Ridiculous money though obviously!
Old 26-02-2020, 10:54 AM   #15
MotoNik
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
Yes I changed my clutch pressure plate bearing too but that’s not a C3 spec as apparently it runs cooler- I do have an open cover though.

MotoNik- have you changed the fixed bearings as well and you manage to get the tensioner ones off their brackets okay?

Apparently if you order the tensioner bearings from Ducati they are supplied on the brackets and as one large bearing the same as the fixed ones as opposed to two bearings fitted on the shaft. Ridiculous money though obviously!
Not actually checked the fixed bearings to be honest - I'll look at them tonight. Ducati don't supply the tensioner arm anymore, only the bearings and associated hardware. I ordered the two bearings from Simply Bearings, and a new e-clip from Moto Rapido. I ended up getting the old bearings off with a really large hammer and some robust language. The result was I managed to close up the e-clip slot, although I've since rectified that with a Dremel.

With a bit of luck I'll have the new cambelts in tonight, and I'll be another step closer to getting the bike started!

Tags
bearing, cambelt, tensioner