UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Spring has sprung...

Old 07-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Spring has sprung...

...and not in a good way!

I took the Evo for a spin along the A272 the other day, taking it steady but still 'making progress' as they say. Approaching a favourite right-hander, I changed down to fifth smoothly but, when I tried to select fourth - nothing - the gear change pedal was solid. Tried changing back into top and that was fine as was going back down to fifth but fourth and lower were missing.

I probably should have stopped to avoid possibly causing damage but, as I was close to home, I made it back in fifth (my heavier flywheel was much appreciated!) and put the bike on the paddock stand.

A quick investigation showed that, when the bike was in fifth, the pedal was at the bottom of its travel but, if you changed up to top, the pedal returned to its normal resting position from which fifth could be selected. But then the pedal was again at the bottom of its travel.

Some more fiddling revealed that, by lifting the pedal just slightly, (as if you were going for a false neutral), it would return to its normal position without selecting the higher gear. From there, I got fourth and eventually back to neutral.

I'm sure many of you will have made the same diagnosis as me - a broken return spring (27 on the diagram - 79915061A). I checked with Moto Rapido and they said they always have two in stock (not an uncommon problem then!) and they're only about £7 and the fork return spring (no. 20 - 79910251A) is also in stock for about £3, so best to replace them together.

That would be the cheapest solution but you can't be sure it's not anything more serious until you get the alternator cover off. So a Laser crankcase puller was duly purchased.

For the benefit of anyone else needing to remove their cover, I've posted a step-by-step guide here

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?p=567799

Hope it's useful.

Suffice to say, I opened it up today and, as I eased the cover off, this obligingly dropped out.

It looks like a nice clean break with no fragments, (I checked the drain plug magnet and also strained the oil and there was no other debris so it should just be a case of replacing the springs).

That's as far as I've got at the moment as I can't get the flywheel off myself. So I'll take it to Moto Rapido for that and also reassembly as they're less likely to mess up the Threebond seal than me!

Now, back out to the garage to scrape off the old sealant... (I think that must make up the bulk of the labour charge!).
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
Uncle Bob

Bad luck! What a hassle...
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
What mileage? approx. 30k?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #4
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Bad luck! What a hassle...
It is a bit of a hassle, yes but, if you're going to have a gearbox problem, this is probably the best one to have. At least the parts are cheap.

And, just between the two of us, I do like an excuse to wield the spanners occasionally!
Old 07-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
What mileage? approx. 30k?
Only just 10k, Rob, so quite a surprise to me. But 8 years old so probably too late for a warranty claim!
Old 08-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #6
Rrawlings

I feel for you Vince. Hope you get it fixed quickly and the guide to the crankcase is great. If you do the job yourself are you going to show us your findings along the way? My main question is how spirited we’re you riding as I never use 6th! Is that the difference the 14t front has? I had a trip through the dales last week in the sun on my favourite roads where I ended up with tyres that looked like I’d done a few laps on track but don’t think I even hit 5th other than the horrible trip from skipton to Bradford on the bypass. I can’t even use 6th on the motorway it just feels wrong.
Rrawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:07 PM   #7
Luddite

No problem, Ryan. It is just a broken return spring (see second picture in the first post - that's my hand!), so nothing serious.

I know what you mean about sixth gear on the standard bike. When I first got it I couldn't really use top below an indicated 80. But after the gearing change, reflash and heavier flywheel, I'm regularly in top from 45. All the tweaking has made it so much more flexible (and enjoyable).
Old 09-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
No problem, Ryan. It is just a broken return spring (see second picture in the first post - that's my hand!), so nothing serious.

I know what you mean about sixth gear on the standard bike. When I first got it I couldn't really use top below an indicated 80. But after the gearing change, reflash and heavier flywheel, I'm regularly in top from 45. All the tweaking has made it so much more flexible (and enjoyable).
I rarely use 6th either, unless I'm travelling at speeds I shouldn't be!

I have to say, I'm pleased that some people are able to enjoy the evo after all their hard work and perseverance to turn it into the bike it should have been out of the factory. Personally I'm struggling to love it. If I could take it someplace and say 'do whatever it takes to fix it' then I might, but it's so frustrating that, how can I say this... The bike's character and mine aren't more suited to each other.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
Rrawlings

I’ll be honest going from a super smooth 675 triple to the Evo I thought I would struggle to get on with it at first but within an of riding it for the first time I changed the way I rode back to how I used to ride the SV650 I had then it all made sense and I absolutely love it. Mine has Termis on with the race Ecu and is a bit lumpy and annoying in town but I can live with it as I only use it to get to somewhere with good roads. I hope you get some answers from Neil at Cornerspeed Bob.
Rrawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #10
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrawlings View Post
I’ll be honest going from a super smooth 675 triple to the Evo I thought I would struggle to get on with it at first but within an of riding it for the first time I changed the way I rode back to how I used to ride the SV650 I had then it all made sense and I absolutely love it. Mine has Termis on with the race Ecu and is a bit lumpy and annoying in town but I can live with it as I only use it to get to somewhere with good roads. I hope you get some answers from Neil at Cornerspeed Bob.
Thanks very much. Yes, ever helpful, Neil gave me some things to check.

Despite having a momentary break from rough running, I'm still wondering about doing the 14t mod to bring 6th into play a bit more. Feels a bit weird having an entire gear that I don't use!

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 09-08-2019 at 10:37 AM..
Old 21-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #11
Luddite

There's a lot of moaning goes on (frequently by me!) about the exorbitant amount charged for Ducati spares. So I was pleasantry surprised when I called into Moto Rapido today to find all three gearchange springs plus the seal and two o-rings only came to £11.25 (with UKMOC discount of course!).

Shame they don't apply the same pricing policy to the timing belts.

Old 21-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #12
manwithredbike
aka Phil

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Shame they don't apply the same pricing policy to the timing belts.
I just fitted a set of Dayco belts. £40 ish plus postage. First non ducati set in many years as the price just seems to have gone through the roof for no apparent reason.
Hopefully will be fine.
Old 22-08-2019, 03:39 AM   #13
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
AUDI VW Group run by Bankers