UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Ducati Monster 900SIE

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #16
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I have same dash, hehe. Anyhu. Fuel light will not work that easy. It is not a simple on/off switch.

It is a resistance based sender. The hotter it gets (less fuel) the more it does something.

There is a adapter from Koso, well two. One does on/off with led. One does on/off on dash.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #17
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

here

http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/low...pter-528-p.asp

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #18
blackthorn

It is a nice set up eh?

Hmm that's good to know though! Where could I find the on/off for the LED that i have fitted? As just now I'm just filling the tank every 100 miles
Old 26-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #19
blackthorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint aka ML View Post
Nice! Top man thanks for that!
Old 14-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #20
blackthorn

So since my last up date everything has just went downhill... as some will have seen from my other post one of the flywheel shims have been destroeyd and i think some of it is possibly in the gear drum as the bike is stuck in 4th absolutely raging. Took the cover off in the hope that the dog leg was just stuck and sadly it was not!

The flywheel was loose because of the shim and had 5mm play..

found this lot in the alternator casing

this lot in the sump

and there is still some missing which as i say i think it's stuck in the gear drum

Then decided to remove the clutch and cover to see if there was any metal in there which there wasn't but there was a broken lug on the clutch hub

Old 14-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #21
blackthorn

is it supposed to be wet there?

lightened primary gear aye? lies as usual...

That's all for now, need to drop the engine and take it to someone to split and find the missing metal and sort out the gear drum!

Cheers,

Roo
Old 14-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #22
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

So sorry to hear of your woes with this bike and its previous owner, who we found was one to fabricate the truth somewhat. I did wonder if he'd been so deep into the engine as to lighten everything, so probably a good thing that he did not. I'm pretty sure I think I have a useable clutch hub with all the posts intact that you could have if it would help you out of a spot as both of my Ducs now have aftermarket slipper jobbies. Give me a shout if you need one and I'll dig one out.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 12:01 AM   #23
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
So sorry to hear of your woes with this bike and its previous owner, who we found was one to fabricate the truth somewhat. I did wonder if he'd been so deep into the engine as to lighten everything, so probably a good thing that he did not.
I think he did go that deep into the engine, probably in an attempt to lighten stuff, but like most things he didn't finish the job properly and then cacked up putting it all back together again.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 07:30 AM   #24
slob

Have a look at the big spring hooked into the pawl on the selector shaft, these are a common failure on high mileage bikes and will cause the stuck in gear symptom you describe. only about a fiver if you're not paying somone else for several hours strip & rebuild. You might get lucky.

I like your idiot light solution, very neat.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 12:48 AM   #25
blackthorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
So sorry to hear of your woes with this bike and its previous owner, who we found was one to fabricate the truth somewhat. I did wonder if he'd been so deep into the engine as to lighten everything, so probably a good thing that he did not. I'm pretty sure I think I have a useable clutch hub with all the posts intact that you could have if it would help you out of a spot as both of my Ducs now have aftermarket slipper jobbies. Give me a shout if you need one and I'll dig one out.

Yes I can fully see that myself now, time will tell if it does have lighter pistons/rods and internal gears... I still think he has been in there but again not to sure if i believe he has! Thanks for that buddy I will give you a shout hoping to get a billet one but this could get me by if i get the engine sorted out quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
I think he did go that deep into the engine, probably in an attempt to lighten stuff, but like most things he didn't finish the job properly and then cacked up putting it all back together again.

hahah sounds about right mate will find out when I get this engine apart. Kind of hope it does have lightened stuff in there so I haven't been totally cheated

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Have a look at the big spring hooked into the pawl on the selector shaft, these are a common failure on high mileage bikes and will cause the stuck in gear symptom you describe. only about a fiver if you're not paying somone else for several hours strip & rebuild. You might get lucky.

I like your idiot light solution, very neat.
Excuse my lack of knowledge on this, but what is the pawl? Is that the spring on the back of the engine that is pushing the ball bearing into the fork drum? If so then that is fine. The bike is on 14k I've decided to do the engine work myself, if i can do car engines i'm sure i can manage this hopefully... hah!

Thanks buddy was fair chuffed with myself on that one to

Cheers,

Roo
Old 16-06-2016, 06:45 AM   #26
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

A billet clutch hub would definitely be better/lighter/stronger, even better still if you can pick up a cheap slipper. The difference to the standard clutch vs slipper is like night and day.

The only thing I can see from your pic that is lightened is the clutch basket, looks like an alloy one which may or may not have been standard anyway (depends on year/model).

Another easy lightening mod to free up some ponies is to fit one of these:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-BIL...qixA51EFKKPN9A

I could be wrong but it looks like yours is still the standard steel one.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #27
slob

Pawl: the arm with the elbow in it (24 & 26) that sits just behind the flywheel, that connects the gear lever shaft to the selector drum. There's a very light spring at the elbow, the one that gives trouble is the beefy gear lever return spring at the bottom (27).

Last edited by slob; 16-06-2016 at 07:26 AM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 10:48 PM   #28
blackthorn

So 8 months later here we are...

Bought another engine for the bike which arrived last week and changed the belts tonight along with putting the clutch off the monster onto the new engine another plus is the mileage is almost identical to the bikes

The day it arrived:

Belt change and clutch swap over:

Old 25-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #29
blackthorn

More updates to come in the following weeks but the bike will be back out for spring

Cheers,

Roo
Old 25-02-2017, 11:12 PM   #30
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Clever idea to transport the engine in an old tyre.
Clever way for a breaker to get rid of their old tyres too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: