UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » My M900 Project...

Old 08-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #91
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Ibanezlynx, Please don't be offended by our comments about your bolt heads..
It's a smashing re-build in every way...I think we've been quite rude.. Sorry.

Apologies also for hijack.
I personally wouldn't use those A2-70 bolts Darren. I tried A2-70 button heads on my discs, but chewed the heads out before I reached 25nm.
I asked the supplier if I had chosen the wrong bolts for the job.
They said this;

[
In the end I used high tensile steel 10.9 BZP button heads.
With a light polish they look like s/s.
Thanks for the heads up on this. Its worrying that the seller has specifically stated that these are a direct replacment for OEM if the OEM are 8.8 carbon steel. I was looking to upgrade to titanium when I do my brake upgrades so if I went for titanium what grade would I need? Would these be more suitable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DUCATI...item2a2ba92666

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #92
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Actually the spec in the S4 workshop manual allows for a +/- 5% tolerance of 24nm so maybe they would be ok at the lower end 22.8nm?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #93
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Sorry, but quoting from my emails doesn't make me an expert....You just read the extent of my knowledge..

Westfield's Matt Naish said that the M8 x 16 A2-70 bolt would torque to 17nm, and that's a long way short of the 25nm that my manual states.
I made my own decision not to use A2-70 for that application based on his trusted advise.

Look at the numbers and make your own mind up.

Those Titanium,Torx socket, button heads bolts look the absolute last word. Sorry I haven't a clue what the grades mean for Ti bolts, but at least the vendor states the grade clearly. Unlike the vendor of the Stainless ones...I had to zoom in on the picture to read the stamps on the heads.
Perhaps Kato, Capo or Garry could throw some light on the grades?

Just discovered that i have 18 x A4-80 Stainless M8 16mm Socket Head Cap Screws.
Up for grabs for £8 + £3 postage if anyone wants them....They are as bought , un-polished.!

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 08-10-2015 at 07:36 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #94
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Sorry, but quoting from my emails doesn't make me an expert....You just read the extent of my knowledge..

Westfield's Matt Naish said that the M8 x 16 A2-70 bolt would torque to 17nm, and that's a long way short of the 25nm that my manual states.
I made my own decision not to use A2-70 for that application based on his trusted advise.

Look at the numbers and make your own mind up.

Those Titanium,Torx socket, button heads bolts look the absolute last word. Sorry I haven't a clue what the grades mean for Ti bolts, but at least the vendor states the grade clearly. Unlike the vendor of the Stainless ones...I had to zoom in on the picture to read the stamps on the heads.
Perhaps Kato, Capo or Garry could throw some light on the grades?

Just discovered that i have 18 x A4-80 Stainless M8 16mm Socket Head Cap Screws.
Up for grabs for £8 + £3 postage if anyone wants them....They are as bought , un-polished.!
I'm no expert either more well informed after reading your post and well if I don't get the titanium ones they sound ideal. I will ask Durhamducs if they can withstand 24nm +5% and then I will be happier.

Old 15-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #95
ibanezlynx

Done a fair few runs on the monster now and it's going great. Forgot how fun these are. Out of curiosity what do you think this monster is worth? Full service history, 15k miles, engine re-work and condition etc? Obviously depends on what someone is willing to pay...
I'm not sure and wondered what the guru's thought...
Old 15-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #96
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezlynx View Post
Done a fair few runs on the monster now and it's going great. Forgot how fun these are. Out of curiosity what do you think this monster is worth? Full service history, 15k miles, engine re-work and condition etc? Obviously depends on what someone is willing to pay...
I'm not sure and wondered what the guru's thought...
It's a buyers market but the older and nicer condition can command 2500 plus. I won't be selling mine but I would want 3000 plus because it will not need anything repaired or refinished and will be looking as good as new.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote