UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Snapped belt

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-07-2022, 09:08 AM   #1
Nasher

Bike: M900
Snapped belt

Following on from this:
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=59962

I collected the bike on Thursday and have had a quick look at the damage.

I thought I'd start a thread with a better tile so that others with a similar issue can find it for reference in future.

Having never seen a snapped Ducati belt before, I didn't really know what to expect, I knew the belt might be shredded, but I wasn't prepared for what looks like the belt exploded in a spectacular way.

Although it should be remembered that the bike was limped home for @5 miles on one cylinder.

Note that before taking the belt covers off I noticed there was a lot of dust and what looked like fibres everywhere that certainly were not there when the bike left me.
By the look of it they've come out of the split in the belt cover.

Both the fixed rollers and tensioner rollers are as free to move as the day I put them in, so a seized roller is not the cause of the problem. Of course they will all be changed again when (possibly if) the engine goes back together.

Although I wasn't expecting the amount of disintegration to the belt, I'm not surprised at all by the split down the middle nature of some of the remnants.
I've never had a car or Ducati belt go in the past personally, but have seen several car and machinery drive belts post snapping.

All the strength is built into the belt longitudinally, with internal stringing in that direction, there is little need to build much strength in widthways.
So when the belt starts to go, it will easily open up like a zipper along the belt.
Compare it to how easy it is to rip a piece of some cloth in one direction but not the other.

I'll get an image of the inside of the belt covers.
There is obvious damage where there was a build up of loose belt around the centre pulley, but no evidence along the cylinder that the belt had moved sideways.

Last edited by Nasher; 25-07-2022 at 09:16 AM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote