UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » M1100 » I've done it now! (696 test ride review)

Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #16
BluprintZ

When i first thought about getting a Monster, i felt that the 600 would be plenty big enough, i was also quite taken with the 600 Fazer, so i had set the cc limit at that.
My mate who used to race and has a 750 Supersport, thought that seeing as i had owned quite a few big Jap bikes in the 80's, thought that i would soon outgrow the 600.
I took his advice and bought the 900, so although i've never ridden a 600 Monnie, i see them more as an introduction to the Monster range, then maybe move up to a larger one when needed?
Certainly never seen the 600 as a "girlie" bike, more like a starter for newbies to the scene.

G : )
Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #17
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Long legs Liz and Carolines pretty much pillion all the time. Shes not heavy but 2 up bikes do compress a lot and dont handle unless good suspension. I also want power to be similar to what I gave up.
696 is a brilliant bike but it never done it for me in the looks department.I dont like the twin sided swingarm and wanted single sided again Unless you know what I gave up for it you would see why. I wasnt downsizing for less power just a touring twin aircooled and new.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
Liz
Co-ordination

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluprintZ View Post
When i first thought about getting a Monster, i felt that the 600 would be plenty big enough, i was also quite taken with the 600 Fazer, so i had set the cc limit at that.
My mate who used to race and has a 750 Supersport, thought that seeing as i had owned quite a few big Jap bikes in the 80's, thought that i would soon outgrow the 600.
I took his advice and bought the 900, so although i've never ridden a 600 Monnie, i see them more as an introduction to the Monster range, then maybe move up to a larger one when needed?
Certainly never seen the 600 as a "girlie" bike, more like a starter for newbies to the scene.

G : )
Always fancied a Fazer or a Bandit - rode the Monster rode the block - 'smitten'. Absolutely loved it and still do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Long legs Liz and Carolines pretty much pillion all the time. Shes not heavy but 2 up bikes do compress a lot and dont handle unless good suspension. I also want power to be similar to what I gave up.
696 is a brilliant bike but it never done it for me in the looks department.I dont like the twin sided swingarm and wanted single sided again Unless you know what I gave up for it you would see why. I wasnt downsizing for less power just a touring twin aircooled and new.
Ok Albie, now you've lost me with the 'technical' talk! To me, it either looks good or it doesn't!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #19
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Liz. I had a fantastic bike before. I made it into something very special with a single side swingarm and to sell it I had to have a bike that was a comfy and as capable 2 up.
How it looked originally and 2 up. Feet are firmly planted on floor.

Old bike which I rebuilt as you can see it looks small on me too.

New bike which is tall and singlesided and great suspension for 2 up riding

Notice how high the rear end is. I find getting leg over challenging

Last edited by Albie; 08-09-2009 at 07:45 AM..
Old 08-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #20
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Liz - Albie is a daddy-long-legs of riders!
He's just got immensely long (skinny) legs! Hence why he dwarfs most of the rest of the Monsters

C, waiting for Albie to slam her head in the door
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #21
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK & AK View Post
Liz - Albie is a daddy-long-legs of riders!
He's just got immensely long (skinny) legs! Hence why he dwarfs most of the rest of the Monsters

C, waiting for Albie to slam her head in the door
I wouldn't do that C. Im a gentle tall skinny legged geek. Funny my old dad wouldn't let me buy an RD250F as it was too big when I was 17. Had to make do with a Gt200X5.

You see my point though dont you.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #22
Liz
Co-ordination

Bike: S2r
I think we seem to have strayed from the original thread about the Ducati 696 but, my friend's boyfriend had an RD250 and let me have a go on it - I thought he was going to have a heart attack when I said let me have a go on it - bloody quick bike!! And no, I didn't bin it!