UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » M1100 » I've done it now! (696 test ride review)

Old 05-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Talking I've done it now! (696 test ride review)

My thoughts on the 696 below.

The good points:

* Confidence inspiring handling - I wouldn't go so far as to say I'll start loving downhill left hand hairpins on the Monster, but I felt so much more confident going into bends. Instead of that horrible knot in my stomach on a 90 degree left hander, I found the Bike Grin developing!
* The lovely forgiving engine. My current bike is a 400cc Suzuki Bandit, where I'm constantly going up and down the gearbox, chasing a limited powerband, while the Monster had oodles of grunt, whatever gear I was in (ok, apart from bottom which is lumpy and horrible) with plenty left over. I didn't have that feeling that I was in the wrong gear in lots of bends - the engine makes up for my inadequacies as a rider.
* Torque - I hadn't realised what I was missing until now!
* It's so light! The 400 felt a little top heavy in comparison when I got back on it afterwards.
* Nice light clutch and reasonable gearbox.
* Front brake is usable even at low speed - no fork dive and traffic light wobbliness.
* Character - it isn't one of those bikes that is screaming come on if you think you're hard enough, but it still has presence. The 696 looks are growing on me.
* It's red, Italian, and a Ducati!

Not so good points

* The vibey twin thing took a bit of getting used too (and made me appreciate how smooth the inline 4 engine in my baby Bandit is) but hey.
* Ride is certainly firmer than I'm used to (the flip side of the sharper steering I guess - stiffer suspension).
* I can see why the blokes might look to change the seat, as you're pressed right up against the tank.
* The back brake is as useless as an appendix.
* I can see why magazine journalists don't rate it as a motorway bike. I'm used to the naked bike windblast, but combined with the vibeytwin thing it would be quite tiring for long distances.
* The sound on starting it up was, dare I say it, a little agricultural. (No doubt this will be met with advice to buy Termis ...)
* It will make me a lazier rider, rather than necessarily a technically better one, but it will make me a much more confident and happier one.

After a certain amount of consideration (only one cup of tea's worth), I gave Snells in Alton a deposit, and all being well, should have the new toy next weekend or the weekend after.
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
DavidEJM

well done and congrats on the new purchase
Old 05-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Paivi

Yeah, baby! Well done, Eleanor! How funny, Andy was supposed to be getting a Monster after passing his test (how's he doing?) and you end up buying one!

If you get the bike by next Saturday, come and join us at Box Hill from about 10.30 to noon-ish to show it off. There's a Ducatisti monthly meet at Box Hill every second Sunday of a month, so you may catch it perfectly.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Oh well done you. Those positives were correct and those negatives will change Im pretty sure.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Andy points out that nobody has said he can't buy a Monster too! (He did admit that they had more character than all the Japanese 4s he has been looking at). Module 1 passed, with Module 2 on Thursday so keeping fingers crossed.

If we do make it to Box Hill next Sunday, Andy asks if he could have a sit on your 695 (just to get a feel for how the ergonomics differ from the 696).
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

The 696 shouldnt make you a lazier rider MrsC_772.
Its light & nimble - and you can really make it work hard for you if you wish to. The larger monsters 'can' make you lazy - but only if you let them & dont give them their head on occasions.

Well done on the purchase, just get the rear suspension adjusted for you when you pick it up as they do come out of the box on a hard setting. To soften it off makes a lot of difference. (AK has done several now & all have remarked how much better the bike is)
See you out and about soon then

CK
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Paivi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsC_772 View Post
Andy points out that nobody has said he can't buy a Monster too! (He did admit that they had more character than all the Japanese 4s he has been looking at). Module 1 passed, with Module 2 on Thursday so keeping fingers crossed.

If we do make it to Box Hill next Sunday, Andy asks if he could have a sit on your 695 (just to get a feel for how the ergonomics differ from the 696).
Sure he can. You can't though, as you'd start having second thoughts and would want to cancel your order!
Old 05-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Not so good points?? Naww still positives
Quote:
The vibey twin thing took a bit of getting used too (and made me appreciate how smooth the inline 4 engine in my baby Bandit is) but hey
LOL That's one of the smoother engines too, its actually really handy as you always know what it's doing
Quote:
The back brake is as useless as an appendix.
They all are useless good job too!!, if they do work they'll have you off on your ass first time you need to stop quickly... from a medical perspective a back brake would make a really bad appendix
Quote:
I can see why magazine journalists don't rate it as a motorway bike. I'm used to the naked bike windblast, but combined with the vibeytwin thing it would be quite tiring for long distances.
Hehehehe some people pay good money for a vibro massager, and hey you get one for free It's more the firm seat that send your bum into oblivion
Quote:
It will make me a lazier rider, rather than necessarily a technically better one, but it will make me a much more confident and happier one.
Ohhh no not lazier, its a much more immersive experience.

You'll love it, best bikes ever
Old 06-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Liz
Co-ordination

Congratulations on your purchase! I sat on Sweetpea's 696 yesterday at Pembrey - quite different to my M600. It looked 'taller' but wasn't, the tank seemed longer which seemed to make you sit back rather than more 'upright' as on my bike and it definately felt lighter. Daren't have a test ride on one - couldn't afford to buy it if I liked it!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
kneedown

well done that is one of the bikes i would have liked to get
Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
Liz
Co-ordination

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedown View Post
well done that is one of the bikes i would have liked to get
Isn't that a 'downsize' from an S4R though?
Old 07-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #12
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I downsized from s4/916 to m1100 which is slower and down 6hp but wouldn't go down to a 696.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #13
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

I 'downsized' from the M1000sie (ridden hard for 4.5yrs) to the 696 to much derision from sportsbike mates - and also on forums from those who dont know me or who have ridden with me.
I have as much fun on this bike as the other on all our local roads & beyond, tho dont go on the straightline dual carriageways if there is a better twisty route.
It happily keeps along with 'big bikes' and some of the time outhandles & will go past on bends too - it all depends on whom you are riding with......

The only thing I miss is the engine braking of the DS engine - but in comparison, the turning in is so much more nimble. Who can honestly say that they use the whole rev range in each gear on the road?

Horses for courses tho.

CK
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #14
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

No disrespect meant but its too small for me as in stature. And your right I wont ever use the power of 1100 and never used the more power of s4. My only 2 reasons for choice were 2 up riding and liked it because it was taller.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #15
Liz
Co-ordination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
No disrespect meant but its too small for me as in stature. And your right I wont ever use the power of 1100 and never used the more power of s4. My only 2 reasons for choice were 2 up riding and liked it because it was taller.
Too small? Why do you want a 'tall' bike? Met a guy on Sat at Pembrey (not a Ducati rider) who said to me that his son wanted to get an M600 - 'that's a girly bike' he said! Well, the red mist came down - yes, it sort of is, but isn't! I personally love my little Monster but it is a great little bike - if you're a bloke, get a Monster Dark, maybe that wouldn't make you feel so 'girly'?!!!