UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Spotted » Spotted in Italy

Old 22-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Spotted in Italy

At the moment I'm suffering a month in Italy and missing the UK eather (like a hole in the head) but more missing my bikes.
Spotted a few nice Monsters in Naples, Sorrento where I especilly liked the dark (or was it the cute rider), Rome spotted a range from an S4R down to 600's, Florence where there is a nice 900 just down the road and a 750 a few roads over.
Scramblers seem to be everywhere, almost falling over them!!
Hoping for a better showing in Bologna, bound to be a few nice examples in the Ducati museum to oggle over.

Most noticable thing has been the number of really good condition old bikes, seen more 400/4's with original pipes than on a classic jap bike show and a few very nice old Guzzis. Had a nose around a side street workshop in Rome where the owner was finishing off a 60's guzzi 150 rebuild and also had an immaculate zigolo.
Otherwise it's been art museums, well madonna'd out and espresso correctto to maintain sanity
Old 22-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
Interestingly, just been there myself with Mrs BRD. We were just approaching the Amalfi peninsula in slow traffic when an old (bacon slicer flywheel) Guzzi passed us.

Lots of Scramblers about, as you say & some good examples of tidy 70's bikes, notably a pair of Honda 500 Fours.

Enjoyed Florence to a point, but too many (very rude & ignorant) Chinese & LOUD US tourists.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #3
manwithredbike
aka Phil

Bike: M900
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
Interestingly, just been there myself with Mrs BRD. We were just approaching the Amalfi peninsula in slow traffic when an old (bacon slicer flywheel) Guzzi passed us.

Lots of Scramblers about, as you say & some good examples of tidy 70's bikes, notably a pair of Honda 500 Fours.

Enjoyed Florence to a point, but too many (very rude & ignorant) Chinese & LOUD US tourists.
just back from a week in Tuscany staying in a tiny mountain top village. An old man had his 1955 Guzzi bacon slicer parked out in front of his house. Started and ran like a clock. Did the Ducati factory tour on Thursday. Really well worth the trip up to Bologna. Free in with your 2019 membership card (32euros worth) and 15% discount in the shop. The museum was fantastic, some of the old race winners were absolutely gorgeous in the flesh, esp the yellow1975 750ss,, even though it was yellow...
Old 23-07-2019, 06:24 PM   #4
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithredbike View Post
some of the old race winners were absolutely gorgeous in the flesh, esp the yellow1975 750ss,, even though it was yellow...
Nothing wrong with yellow Ducati's (that a couple of red aerosols can't fix).
Old 23-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #5
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post
Nothing wrong with yellow Ducati's (that a couple of red aerosols can't fix).
Yellow Ducatis are necessary (In moderation) as without them you wouldn’t know for certain that red is that much faster!
Old 23-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Yellow Ducatis are necessary (In moderation) as without them you wouldn’t know for certain that red is that much faster!
Harsh! - but true.
Old 23-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #7
Wasta

Im on Zocca at the moment, just south of Bologna, Modena. Out in the hills, the weathers great but our trip down through France into Italy via the Mont Blanc tunnel in the car though. Mostly seen GS's ridden by a variety of ages. Only one Duc seen today and that was a Hyper.

As a side note, I think you'll find yellow Ducatis are much faster than the red and are ridden by handsome virile
younger men. ;-))
Old 23-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
Nickj

Hey come on that's a bit harsh my 748R is yellow, very yellow, in fact it makes bananna man look a litle bland ... but when it creams round the inside of you all you see and feel are the the termis .. not of course that I would condone or countenace such behaviour, well only sometimes.. well OK whenever I can get away with it .
Now off to bed for an uncertain tomorrow eith an Italian transport strike day, I think that much corretto may be required.

Note: This post may have been influenced by a mixture of heat (40C) beer and wine Oh and several corretto which don't count as it is a recognised health food
Old 23-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #9
Nickj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasta View Post
Im on Zocca at the moment, just south of Bologna, Modena. Out in the hills,
Today florence, next might be Garda though that rather depends on the rail services which are on stike tomoz.
Not in Bolgna till the 31st, but we can haz factory visit

Kin hoy isn't it !! Hitting 40 down here and not so much better up where you are
Old 23-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #10
Wasta

There is a bike/ scooter rental place in Sorento that have a Monster for hire. Its ideal for a blast down the Amalfy coastal route.
Old 23-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #11
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
We found the best gelato we have ever had here:

Cremeria Santo Stefano. Via Santo Stefano 70, Bologna

It's a bit of a walk out of the centre (about 15 minutes) but well worth it. Lovely old-fashioned place & you can see through to the kitchen where it's being made.

The salted pistachio ice-cream is sensational!
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 07:48 AM   #12
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasta View Post
Im on Zocca at the moment, just south of Bologna, Modena. Out in the hills, the weathers great but our trip down through France into Italy via the Mont Blanc tunnel in the car though. Mostly seen GS's ridden by a variety of ages. Only one Duc seen today and that was a Hyper.

As a side note, I think you'll find yellow Ducatis are much faster than the red and are ridden by handsome virile
younger men. ;-))
If all you’ve got for comparison are decrepit GS riders, I can see how you could come to that false conclusion.
Old 24-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #13
Wasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
If all you’ve got for comparison are decrepit GS riders, I can see how you could come to that false conclusion.

You may have a point.
Old 24-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #14
Wasta

Couple of Multis today and an original scrambler

Old 24-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #15
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It sounds very hot down there, i mean its bad enough here atm 30/32 and expected to be 35 or 36 tomorrow. You should be able to under take pretty much anything on the road with a 748, they are a weapon. I have one.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: