UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Flywheel / Alternator Tech

Old 04-06-2023, 09:16 PM   #16
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
For the sake of completeness, and balanced opinions, I have a standard flywheel in the engine of my M1000.

I've not noticed any difference.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 07:29 AM   #17
900Rebuilder

Bike: M900
I've got a lightened flywheel for the original carbed engine but I suspect that its not going to work with what I need to do the ie to carb swap
Old 05-06-2023, 08:52 AM   #18
Dukedesmo

I'm not sure if it's the case with the 900 engines but are the crankshafts the same as the older carbie?

Asking because, on Desmoquattro engines when they changed from single-phase to 3-phase alternator they used a different crankshaft, such that you can't (easily) retrofit the 3-phase to older bikes as the flywheel assembly won't bolt on.

If this is the case with the 900 then, maybe the carbie flywheel with the pickups won't fit onto the crankshaft?

I have to add, I don't know if this is the case but you'd need to investigate - check the end of the crankshaft, threads, length, keyway etc.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:24 AM   #19
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Rebuilder View Post
I've got a 900ie motor to go into my carbed frame (with loom and carbs etc) so need to make the "new" engine work in the old frame. I'll also be using an Ignitech ignition system as well if that helps or matters
This seems to be a simple enough question.
Assuming that the new engine already has an alternator, then all you have to do is match it with either a two or three wire Regulator/Rectifier, depending how many Yellow cables come out of the alternator. 900ie should have three.
If you don't have an alternator yet then 3-phase is definitely the way to go.

Not sure how this swerved to flywheel, but standard will work just fine on that.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:40 AM   #20
900Rebuilder

The casing is still on the ie engine and the carbed one is completely apart so will be easy to compare the parts when I get into it.

I think what the issue maybe is the combination of ignition pickups / flywheel / crankshaft. The ie engine has the 3 yellow wires and the carbed version has 2 but its the pulse coils that are different as the ie motor has 3 wires where as the carbed version has 4

If the ie coils will power the Ignitech unit ok then that should be much easier or am I missing something really obvious here?
Old 05-06-2023, 09:53 AM   #21
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Rebuilder View Post
The casing is still on the ie engine and the carbed one is completely apart so will be easy to compare the parts when I get into it.

I think what the issue maybe is the combination of ignition pickups / flywheel / crankshaft. The ie engine has the 3 yellow wires and the carbed version has 2 but its the pulse coils that are different as the ie motor has 3 wires where as the carbed version has 4

If the ie coils will power the Ignitech unit ok then that should be much easier or am I missing something really obvious here?
The Ignitech powers the coils and picks up it's signal from the 2 pickups in the engine that the flywheel actuates 90 degrees apart.

I don't know but would think the i.e. uses a 'missing tooth' pickup on the gear for reference and then the ECU determines firing points?

If so then you'd (probably) need to fit the carbie style flywheel and pickups for which, pickup mounting points should be there (they are on a 916) but, if the flywheel mounting is different then it might complicate things?

Old 05-06-2023, 10:10 AM   #22
Nasher

Do you have the Ignitech already? and so have the instruction manual.
I have it as a pdf if you need it.

You are right in that the Carbie 900 has a 4 wire bundle coming out of the case from the pick-ups, but having looked at the pdf wiring diagram for the Ignatech I fitted to my M900 it appears to only show 3 wires.
The 4 wires go straight to the IC ignitors which are of course replaced by the new unit.

It can't have been that difficult to sort out if I managed it, and I don't remember it being difficult.
It certainly worked.
Old 05-06-2023, 10:41 AM   #23
Dukedesmo

Carbie engine showing the 2 pickups under the flywheel, albeit not too clearly;

Later injected engine, all be it a 4v so maybe not the same as 900i.e.? showing the 'missing' tooth (actually 2 teeth) setup that a single sensor reads from, there is no pickup on the flywheel as the sensor fits through the outer crankcase and simply 'looks' at the timing gear.

Obviously you can remove the pickup from the 'i.e' type (carbie cover doesn't have the hole in the case) and there should be the mounting holes for the 2 pickup bracket from flywheel assembly. What I don't know is whether the carbie flywheel is interchangeable with i.e. alternator/flywheel as the 3-phase alternator is (in 4v engines anyway) a different setup and the flywheel to crankshaft fitting is different.

There maybe ways round this but it might not be plug and play?

Old 05-06-2023, 11:25 AM   #24
900Rebuilder

Looks like I need to get into the ie engine and do some digging.

If not possible I'll have to sell the 900ie engine and put the proceeds towards rebuilding the carby motor which will teach me for buying something without checking first and delay things greatly
Old 05-06-2023, 02:34 PM   #25
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
You can get heavier flywheels? Lighter is usually to way to go, to improve performance. poor low speed running is usually down to poor (lean) fuelling.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 03:17 PM   #26
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
I love the sense of humour on here
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:02 AM   #27
900Rebuilder

Ignitech have come back to me within 24 hours to say that they produce a version of the ignition TCIP4 that accepts the ie pickup coil and will suit my needs for 155 Euro's plus an additional 5 for the reduced harness with the correct female plug on it

Glad I took the time to email them now!
Old 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM   #28
Dukedesmo

Yes, I am aware that Ignitech make different versions of the unit. I recall, when I was building mine there was a chap I met at SPR's dyno who was building a similar setup to me (air cooled, 944cc) but was using the bottom end from an ST something and I think he had a different Ignitech, designed for use with a single sensor/pick up?

Old 06-06-2023, 10:17 AM   #29
900Rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Yes, I am aware that Ignitech make different versions of the unit. I recall, when I was building mine there was a chap I met at SPR's dyno who was building a similar setup to me (air cooled, 944cc) but was using the bottom end from an ST something and I think he had a different Ignitech, designed for use with a single sensor/pick up?
Yes they have said that this is quite a common request for them and saves me the hassle of getting into the engine too deeply although I'm now torn about fitting a lighter flywheel now I have the cover off
Old 06-06-2023, 10:24 AM   #30
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The single phase bikes like my 748 have a different crank so not straightforward to swap to 3 phase or vice versa. If that helps?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote