UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Valve adjustments.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #1
Macflurry

Bike: M900
Valve adjustments.

Hi guys,

Started looking into replacing valve seals and thought before I start I should check my valve clearances and see if there's any additional work to do and any parts to order.

I've seen some decent guides for checking the clearances but I've had a bit of a snag. All of the guides have a clearance for the opener shim for the first measurement which is used with the clearance for the closer shim to work out any current values and adjustments. I have no clearance for the opener shims on the vertical head even when I use 0.0015" feelers.

The engine is at TDC and I've spun the wheel and checked the clearance 3 times with the dots lined up in the sight window in the same way that I saw/read onthe DucatiSuite.com site:

But even if I try to spin the opener shim with my fingers it feels slightly bound until the pressure gives and it starts to spin. So there is always contact.

Is this really just a case of remove the opener shim and sand it until it is free of any binding or is there something that I've overlooked that I should double check first?
Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote