UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Buying advice needed

Old 10-09-2022, 11:31 AM   #1
Irezumi

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Buying advice needed

Have been reading these forums for quite a while on and off but never posted so hi. Have always wanted a Monster and going to look at an S2r soon. Any particular advice on what to look for beyond normal stuff. Aware of belts and SSS hub etc. and the likes of bearings but anything else specific to the S2r?

Also, what is a reputable online source for parts as belts will need doing on the bike I am looking at as last done 3 years ago apparently, although minimal mileage on them? Will need to do a full service I imagine, which I will carry out myself.

Thanks for any help.
Irezumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 12:04 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Look critically at the fuel tank, ethanol can make them swell. There don't seem to be any new ones so the market is full of old ones that are usually swollen too.
Else just that it looks cared for, other than the lack of belt change which will be fine just change them ASAP
Old 10-09-2022, 05:33 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
welcome aboard, check for any signs of water ingress/misting in the clocks.
unusual if the bike’s been well looked after.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:05 PM   #4
Nickj

The motors, as long as they recieve pretty basic maintenace, are surprisingly tough and can do high miles without any problem.
As long as you keep up the belt change schedule and the valve clearances they'll run out to 100K easily.
The electrics are good, mostly the issue you'll have is people not routing the wiring properly and maybe older wires getting a bit stiff.
My S2R is happy as a piggin', press the button and it goes. LOL Love to say step on the brakes and it stops but the rear is always an issue. It can be more of a decorative item (except for MOT time) but then I don't find that I use it very much. Some say the front calipers are budget jobs (true) but they work .. maybe not as well as they might but more than well enough.
Any weakness is in the suspension, the rear isn't too good and the front isn't either. I've got an andretti misano conversion to go in when I can get around to it for the front and I'll end up with a new rear. I did have something to compare with that says the S2R could be heaps better but then you'd expect a race homologation 758R to handle a little better
Old 10-09-2022, 08:49 PM   #5
Irezumi

Thanks for all the advice. Have previously owned an aprilia with a plastic tank so remember the problems that caused. Are tanks from other Monsters which are metal a straight fit?

With regards to belts are these still just purchased from Ducati or is there a better (cheaper) source online?

Would it be advisable to ride away on a bike with belts 3 years old (approx 100 miles back to mine) or better to collect in van and change before using the bike?

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:04 PM   #6
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
http://www.exactuk.com/about-exactfit-cam-belts/

Great service from these guys

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:47 AM   #7
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum Irezumi. Good luck with the hunt.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:52 AM   #8
Nickj

Same ascerbis PA6 nylon tanks and it would be too easy if other tanks were a straight swap in !!

On riding it back, I'd rather not myself, I'd take a pair fit and go as it is .. well usually is .. a dead simple 20 - 30 minute job when you've done it before. If the bikes been standing for much of the time and not running I wouldn't want to ride it away, even the small chance of a belt shredding or snapping .. you don't want that to happen as it's usually very messy.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:00 PM   #9
Irezumi

Thanks for all the help so far, been very useful.

Few small issues with the bike which are me being picky however they would annoy me if not resolved eventually so looking to see if they are possible at all.

First off the dial lenses/screens are cracked. Looked up and appears common, have seen that there are people who can repair these but for over £200! is it possible to replace these lenses yourself, anyone done it?

Marks/pitting on for outers (not stanchions). Anyone know if these can be repaired of for outers from other models would be a straight swap/fit?

Engine paint flaking, what is the best way to resolve this and how much would I be looking at?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:26 PM   #10
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...=clocks+repair

Might be useful !!!
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:02 PM   #11
Nickj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irezumi View Post
First off the dial lenses/screens are cracked.
Marks/pitting on fork outers
Engine paint flaking
All price negotiation points, some could be labelled as patina or hard earned battle scars
Unless totally unused a 12 - 15 year old bike isn't going to be pristine. It's not quite old enough or unusual enough to be a collecters classic and have had the full on better than new restoration applied.

The engine casing paint of this era does eventually flake off, if it bothers you drop the motor and repaint.