UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Clutch holding tool

Old 27-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
Wrider

Bike: S4r
Clutch holding tool

Need a clutch holding tool to install my EVR z48 basket and plates found one listed for sigma 48 teeth clutch that I assume will fit the EVR? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122019633720
Just wanted to check before I bought it
Wrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I have an EVR 48 tooth clutch and I have to say that I don't think that tool would fit. The slots are semi-circular in my clutch and the teeth on the tool look trapezoid and too large to me.

That Vincent Goosey is a damn nice bloke to deal with. If you contact him he will give some good advice and is not adverse to making special one offs on request. He helped me out with some special Triumph tools and didn't charge me. (I had bought one of his tools for a special nut though and it didn't fit, he was happy to amend his specs for that tool and let me keep the prototypes.)

I fitted my EVR without a holding tool for the outer drum, it's not really needed and in any case it fouls access to the very bolts that you would want to hold the drum to tighten!

If you're replacing the steel plates then just use the old ones to make your own tool to hold the inner drum. I'll show you a picture of my tool if you ask nicely.
Old 27-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
Wrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I have an EVR 48 tooth clutch and I have to say that I don't think that tool would fit. The slots are semi-circular in my clutch and the teeth on the tool look trapezoid and too large to me.

That Vincent Goosey is a damn nice bloke to deal with. If you contact him he will give some good advice and is not adverse to making special one offs on request. He helped me out with some special Triumph tools and didn't charge me. (I had bought one of his tools for a special nut though and it didn't fit, he was happy to amend his specs for that tool and let me keep the prototypes.)

I fitted my EVR without a holding tool for the outer drum, it's not really needed and in any case it fouls access to the very bolts that you would want to hold the drum to tighten!

If you're replacing the steel plates then just use the old ones to make your own tool to hold the inner drum. I'll show you a picture of my tool if you ask nicely.

I am replacing a 12 tooth with the 48 so I don’t have any 48 plates to use or i would, I did make a shocking holding tool out of the 12 plates that worked to remove the basket lol

How did you do it without a holding tool? Impact driver?
Old 27-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #4
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
I had to file the holding tool to fit the EVR 48 tooth clutch. Send the seller a photo of your new clutch cut outs to clarify for peace of mind.
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #5
Mark64
Bronze Member

I'm sure you don't need a 48t (outer basket) holding tool to remove the clutch as the outer basket is held on by half a dozen 8mm bots, however to remove the clutch centre nut you will need a tool to hold the inner basket and the steel plates are the same in 12t/48t clutches.
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
Geoff

Bike: M1000ie
Just fitted a 48 Tooth EVR sintered plate clutch to my monster 1000. Makes like easier to re torque the 8 basket bolts if you can firmly hold the basket. I upgraded my 1098 clutch years ago to a sigma performance 48 tooth clutch (non slipper). As mentioned previously the EVR teeth are rounded whilst sigma trapezoidal shape. I replaced my sigma on 1098 last year so had several worn plates. Using my dremel I simply rounded off the edges of a couple of sigma plates , overlayed on my clutch holding tool and drilled holes to support. Basically replacing the central drum holding plates needed to torque the big central nut. Swapped them back and job complete.

Last edited by Geoff; 27-05-2020 at 08:51 PM..
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #7
Geoff

Bike: M1000ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
Need a clutch holding tool to install my EVR z48 basket and plates found one listed for sigma 48 teeth clutch that I assume will fit the EVR? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122019633720
Just wanted to check before I bought it
Just read the full post. My clutch holding tool is the official Ducati item pretty much the same as the one you’re considering. I noticed it’s a combined drum/basket fixture but I use old steel plates on mine For drum and then remove to replace with my 48 tooth sintered plate for basket. I have several old plates and more than happy to post one to you if you decide to buy the tool. Easy to modify with drilled holes and I’ll Dremel the trapezoidal edges. I assume you have some old steel plates.
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #8
Wrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post

Took this great advice, gave Vince some measurements and he now has EVR clutch holding tools available at GB motorcycle products.
Vince is a top guy a real credit to the industry, having used his tools before can highly recommend.