UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » 2002 M900ie Dark brake judder

Old 06-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
2002 M900ie Dark brake judder

Hi all,yes,I know this subject has been covered in several previous threads but after doing some searching on here the threads were a few years old so I was wondering if there were any newer thoughts on front brake juddering at slow speed?

I did pop into the local Ducati dealers to ask about it and they said they send their discs to these people: http://thediscdoctor.co.uk/

Anyway,a bit of discussion on here is always good so look foward to any replies.

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I understand that your bike has stood for a while? If the pads have sat in the same place on the discs for a good while it could well have caused the surface of the discs to have oxidised differently under the pads to the rest of the surface. This will cause the juddering that you report (unless it's actually warped discs).

I would thoroughly clean the discs and pads with clutch and brake cleaner to get rid of any contaminants, including the invisible ones. Then take the bike out and on a good clear straight road, get up to a good speed and apply the brakes firmly and hold on for as long as possible. (Watch your mirrors!) Don't come screeching to a halt, but rather let the brakes off gently without coming to a stop and then repeat the process again if possible. The idea is to get the discs and pads nice and hot and apply plenty of even fiction.

It's always worked for me. Sometimes you can get this pulsing thing after just washing the bike. The pads will hold moisture to the disc and make "rusty" spots with a different friction co-efficient which is what you feel.. Slip, grip, slip, grip ect.

If the discs are warped then measuring with a dial gauge is the only way to check, and if that's the case your disc Doctor might be the way to go if he's cheaper than new discs.

Some might tell you to clean out the bobbins, and they could well be right, but that has never worked for me, although I can't see it doing any harm, especially after a lay up.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
If you've searched for earlier threads on the subject then no doubt you will have seen my previous comments.
So this is just to confirm that my discs are still 100% pulse free after around 30,000 miles in total, despite being afflicted in their earlier life. They also run extremely smoothly through the calipers when pushing the bike around or spinning the wheel.
I would agree with everything that Gazza has said.
I suppose you could try a seriously good clean up using a flat pad wrapped in fine grade wet 'n dry abrasive .. depending on how confident you are that you can do this evenly and keep everything flat. I did this on mine but I'm not sure that it was really necessary ... I think that the hard usage cycling was what made the difference.
Given that your bike has been standing for a while, its certainly worth starting by checking that all the bobbins are clean and free to rotate, but in my experience this has never cured the pulsing. Do this slowly by hand .. don't spin them with an electric drill as sometimes recommended .. this just causes unnecessary wear. A slow turn and a wiggle is what you want, while flooding with brake cleaner (or maybe meths). Drape an old towel over the rim to catch the gunk and turn the wheel so that you only clean the bobbins when they're at the lowest point.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Scotchbrite or similar, brake cleaner and a bit of elbow grease is prescribed. No need to see the Disc Doctor!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:18 AM   #5
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Thanks all of you for getting back to me,have now got some things to try.Btw,the bike had the problem before I took it off the road but it was more of a niggle rather than a major hassle.From what I have read on t'interweb it's not an unusual problem for Ducati's ......... still love 'em though!!

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote