UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Steering Bearings

Old 07-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
Flip

Bike: M900
Steering Bearings

Took my bike for it's MoT yesterday to my usual proper old school test station where the bike owner even helps carry out the test.

It's a great little place where they don't worry too much about things like noisy exhausts etc. as long as the bike's in a safe and ride-able condition.

Anyway my bike passed fine but the tester noticed that as the steering got close to full lock that it felt a little notchy- we lifted it up so I could feel it and there is definitely a not very nice feel to it which may contribute to it feeling a bit rubbish at slow speed.

Therefore, I think new bearings are in order so once the bike is up and the head stem out how difficult are they to change and who best to buy them from please?
Old 07-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
Nottsbiker

They knock out really easy

Hardest bit of job is removing lower race from bottom yoke. I carefully used a grinder for this bit.

I bought a taper roller set from pyramid parts on ebay for best offer of £15 delivered. Quality looks good and made in Japan would you beleive it
Old 07-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker View Post
They knock out really easy

Hardest bit of job is removing lower race from bottom yoke. I carefully used a grinder for this bit.

I bought a taper roller set from pyramid parts on ebay for best offer of £15 delivered. Quality looks good and made in Japan would you beleive it
The bottom race can be tricky. I've usually had to get the dremel out, just cut it enough so you can crack it with an old screwdriver or similar sharp pointed implement and it should loosen enough to get it off.

I've had to use a similar technique on Harley taper wheel bearing shells that fit so flush with the wheel there's no lip or cutout, so you can't drift them out easily. Why they use tapers in a wheel is beyond me. I've not come across any others like that.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
DrD

I put these in mine http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/ducati/m...all_balls_usa/
The existing lower came out easily
Worth fabricating a correct size drift the get the new ones in - freezer overnight helps on the top one
Old 07-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #5
Nottsbiker

Use the old ones with a slot cut in them
Old 07-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #6
Flip

Bike: M900
Nice one, thank you chaps- Wemoto is just along the coast from me so I'll give them a call Monday and will pop along on Friday if they have them in stock.
Old 24-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #7
davkyt

I need new steering head bearings... Which I can get for free if I knew what to ask for......
Does anyone have this information to hand that they could share?
I presume that that should be the tapered version?

I have a '96 750