UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Centre stand...again!

Old 01-02-2017, 07:38 AM   #1
norvin998

Centre stand...again!

Lots of mention of centre stand kits on the site & as they now seem to be a rare commodity the result is few of us know what one looks like & when something purporting to be a Monster stand turns up on ebay whether or not it is pukka.... or is it for a MS/GT or other model?

Here's one on ebay at the moment in the USA. To those who know does it look like an M1000S stand - thats what its advertised as - & would that be the same as a 900ie kit?

https://postimg.org/gallery/t5yglzha/

Cheers
Mike
Old 01-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
This is a genuine DP item it was originaly listed as fitting MONSTER 620, 695, 750, 800, 900, 1000 AND S4

IMO a horrible waste of time and money

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
norvin998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
IMO a horrible waste of time and money
Thanks, Looks pretty similar - one size fits all it seems. Usefulness depends on bike usage. Adjusting the chain on a touring trip v quick whizz over to Cadwell. Each to his own.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by norvin998 View Post
Thanks, Looks pretty similar - one size fits all it seems. Usefulness depends on bike usage. Adjusting the chain on a touring trip v quick whizz over to Cadwell. Each to his own.
I do kind of get what you're saying (not that I'd want one on my bike as I like the DP belly pan too much) but..... how many miles do you do on a touring trip?

I've hardly ever needed to adjust my chain in it's whole life time (have got between 12 and 15k out of them on my 900) and certainly not on a touring trip.

Last edited by Flip; 01-02-2017 at 09:12 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
norvin998

Update on stand fitting

Centre stands may not be to everyones liking so if they aren't what are you doing reading this? For those who might be looking to fit one this may be of use.

The result of my M1000S stand kit purchase is a M900Sie fitted with a centre stand.

Few pix: https://postimg.org/gallery/ffzm3cak/

The stand leg hits the "floating" rear caliper torque rod on full suspension extension i.e on the propstand ...or in mid air! I have relieved the stand pad in that area & slipped a rubber sleeve onto the rod as belt & braces. Will braze a bigger "foot" onto the trimmed pad (& one on the other side to keep the bike level) extending outwards to restore a decent footprint on that side. Ms with a fixed rear caliper wont have that problem.

The 900Sie plastic "underguard" has to be removed. Its held on by 3 6mm allen screws. A stand cross-bar mounted shield may be a possibility if you wanted to keep such a device The guards purpose appears to be keeping chain lube off the fat tyre judging by the layer of crud on mine.

The prop stand can be retained but needs to have one bolt undone so dont do the fit on the prop stand! A paddock stand worked OK for me.

The threaded insert in the rear of the cases for the drains/breathers is like a small Rawlbolt & once the screw undoes it can be tapped out from the other side with a length of 10mm rod. The long stand mounting through bolt is overlong by about 2cm so plenty of room for another nut & a home made guide for the pipes.

The stand mounting plates fitted direct to the cases without any spacers. The torque rod bracket fitted outside the stand mounting plate. A spacer equal to the thickness of the stand mount (about 6mm) needs to be fitted under the torque rod mount.

The exhaust collector comes very close to the stand mounts. I relieved the area on both mounts next to the collector to allow for some movement of the pipe when the engine is fully up to temp.

The operating leg on the drive side sticks out a good way and with my high level pipes looks odd so thats for a trim down in my case to finish the job off. Other than that it blends in quite well I think. With OE or low cans the leg will be the first thing to touch down on that side.

The result is a very stable stand for use on good hard standing - much like the prop stand the contact area is rather too small for confidence if parking on tarmac. Next job is to put a pad on the prop stand to make the bike stand a little straighter.

Hope that helps anyone looking at fitting a centrestand.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Centre stands may not be to everyones liking so if they aren't what are you doing reading this?
I don't like genocide either but I've read and 'enjoyed' many books on the subject

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Good to know that the torque rod mount will just go on top of the stand bracket.
I was figuring that I would have to weld a piggyback bracket on the stand to mount the rod.

Nice that the brackets clear the exhaust too. Much metal has to be removed from the ST stand.

No problem with the threaded insert either. I would have been drilling that out, but now I know it is "put backable"

My solution to the leg fouling the rod, was going to be to warm it up and bend it outwards... It looks like it toes in anyway.

Nice work Norvin, and thanks for explaining the fit to an Sie so well.
I might re-visit the idea again now, but I sold the ST stand I had... Doh!
Old 10-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #8
norvin998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Good to know that the torque rod mount will just go on top of the stand bracket.
My solution to the leg fouling the rod, was going to be to warm it up and bend it outwards... It looks like it toes in anyway.
There's plenty of movement in the rose joints to accommodate the 6mm or so offset. I'm a fan of "reversible" mods as I wont be the bikes last owner & "all original parts included" allows the next chap to do as he pleases. In years to come (if not already?) a std bike will be the one that is unusual.

I thought of bending the leg out but in doing so it might end up being effectively shortened & I'd end up doing what I'll be doing anyway - adding a "sole" to the leg to regain the area I've trimmed away...and if I fit low pipes again it'd probably whack the can!

Forums are great places to ask for help & give a little back when you can so I hope anyone as confused as I was when I started looking at the stand possibility will be a little better informed now.

The idea of getting kits replicated evaporated when I saw the shape of the stand - there's not a straight line in it! I'd need to get jigs made for that & press tools for the brackets as they are pretty 3D too. It'd end up being an expensive project. Guess its keep looking at ebay in Europe & the USA.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I absolutely agree with trying not to do irreversible mods, which is why I was pleased you found that the threaded insert knocks out.

Bending out the right hand leg will not bring it into contact with a low level silencer, as it is already sweeping up higher than that at that point.
I was also going to weld or braze on a bigger foot, partly because I thought that bending out the leg would also shorten it a bit and put the bike out of level... But then again grinding down the other foot might achieve the same thing.

Of course I never got so far as to find out how high it lifted the bike. How much air do you have under the back tyre? I'm assuming it sits on the front?
Old 10-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
Luxexterior

I have a ST2 stand & brackets for sale in the er....For Sale section if anyone is looking for one for their Monster.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #11
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Pmed you about the stand, but can't find the ad.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #12
norvin998

Clearance

Quote:
How much air do you have under the back tyre? I'm assuming it sits on the front?
Plenty! Couple of inches at least. Must measure. Next project is to fashion a block/stand to sit under the front pipe & raise the front wheel off the deck for easy wheel removal.

Abba stand...who needs one?
Old 11-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #13
Luxexterior

It's listed in the For Sale Section under Monster/Ducati Parts Clear Out. PM'd you back Mr Gazza.

I bought the stand to fit to my Monster but have never fitted it because I bought a workshop stand soon afterwards. Included in the sale are a set of brackets I bought separately that I was told had been modified to fit Monsters. Also included is a longer mounting bolt I bought because my bike has the down pipe mounting brackets & the original bolt looked like it might be too short. Original mounting bolt is also included.

Because I have not tried to fit the stand I don't know how easy or difficult a job it is but on the face of it it looks very straight forward but I would think that the foot plate part of the stand might require a little bending to fit, but hard to tell without having the stand in place. If a bend is required it looks like it would be minor.

Last edited by Luxexterior; 11-03-2017 at 09:10 AM..
Old 11-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #14
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks Luxexterior, I'm up for a second attempt at this thanks to Norvin's inspiration.

Quote:
Next project is to fashion a block/stand to sit under the front pipe & raise the front wheel off the deck for easy wheel removal.
On all my previous bikes it has been the case that removing the front wheel shifts the balance to the rear so no block is needed.

I am hoping that as soon as soon as the axle is clear, the forks will gently rise away and the bike settle on the rear wheel.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #15
norvin998

Quote:
On all my previous bikes it has been the case that removing the front wheel shifts the balance to the rear so no block is needed.I am hoping that as soon as soon as the axle is clear, the forks will gently rise away and the bike settle on the rear wheel.
I looked this morning & the wheel clearance at the rear is rather less than I imagined - around 30mm. Pressing down on the grab rail raised the front wheel off the deck but a good deal of effort was required. I'd be very pleased to find removing the front wheel allowed the bike to settle on the rear!