UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Guzzi 1100 custom build

Old 11-11-2022, 11:58 AM   #61
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzer View Post

That is so agricultural looks like it should be hanging out the back of a tractor with that PTO

Don't get me wrong it is great I love the look of this motor, just always thought it is a lot of engine for so few horse power

Great work Buzzer always enjoy your updates

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 04:23 PM   #62
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
Or…..

At the front of a Morgan 3-wheeler……! We visited Mondello de Lario in 2012 around the time that Piagio got involved, the engine assembly shed was not dissimilar to AMC Plumstead…..and they packed it in around 1966 ! Having said that the racing museum area was brilliant….you could feel the enthusiasm.
Well done Buzzer, it looks fantastic….loving the lines of the exhaust.
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:43 PM   #63
buzzer

Bike: M900
Here is the finished final drive with a new bearing and seals.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:44 PM   #64
buzzer

The engine is now back in the frame, a nice and easy job with the removeable bottom frame rails…

Old 11-11-2022, 05:45 PM   #65
buzzer

didn't want to use the frame as a breather as it can rot them out, and rust partials can drop down so I am told... so I decided to make a new breather the vent the crank case and also the heads. Here is is... will it work? Who knows, we will see!!

Old 11-11-2022, 05:47 PM   #66
buzzer

Two jobs today... first was to make a paddock stand. I hate the universal ones as they are very difficult to get a bike on one on your own..., and often not that secure. this one positively locks onto the wheel spindle, and when its on the lift I can clamp it to the top so its nice and secure.

The second was to make some bushes out of bronze to take the play put of the clutch lever as the hole had worn oval. I drilled it out and made some over size top hat bushes. Finally, here it is on its wheels!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoiBIyf7MYY

Old 11-11-2022, 05:49 PM   #67
buzzer

I pondered for a long time on the throttle arrangement for this bike… I wanted to keep the pull to open, pull to close for a couple of reasons… First, its safer… manufactures didn’t go to this arrangement for no reason as bikes evolved. Second, it means you can have much lighter return springs, which in turn males the throttle much lighter, particularly if you are going for a quick action. . A light fast action action throttle feels like you have 20 BHP more!

I couldn’t find a 4 cable throttle anywhere, so I ended up making one from scratch…

Old 13-11-2022, 12:25 PM   #68
buzzer

I needed to make some brackets out of alloy tube, but of you squash the ends in the vice it looks crap… so I made this little die that profiles the ends round which also make them stronger.

Old 14-11-2022, 07:28 AM   #69
900Rebuilder

Can I ask, where do you get all of your flatslides from? You fit them to all your builds and I'm looking for some for my 900
Old 15-11-2022, 08:14 AM   #70
buzzer

I made a speedo housing earlier in the build, but I was not happy with the result, so I tried again... this one is better...

turning the dome took some doing! I have rubber mounted it as I always feel electronics need it…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVhAJ0GDwlE

Old 16-11-2022, 01:03 PM   #71
buzzer

I wanted to add some custom detail onto the bike, in particular on the valve covers... So I tried the technique of etching alloy... have to say it worked rather well! Oh, and although those indicators are small, they are amazingly bright!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJBqAuzCvzI

Old 18-11-2022, 05:33 PM   #72
buzzer

Onto for me what is the most enjoyable part of a build... the wiring. I have a process for this I stick to. First I draw out the wiring diagram in Microsoft Visio, and colour code the wires. Then I order the wire in, which is quite cheap and any connectors I need. So often the standard of the electrics is what make a bike trouble free in the future. I then build the loom actually on the bike, circuit by circuit, wire by wire, which I hold temporarily in place with some Velcro cable ties. When its all in place I use that braided sheathing and close the ends with heat shrink tubing. it make a neat job. Rather than connect the main battery leads up, I use a fly lead with a 10 amp fuse just in case I make a mistake. I crimp, and if needed solder every joint. I have rubber mounted the coils and put them on an alloy heat sink. I also like to make my own HT leads out of solid copper lead, so I can get them to fit perfectly...

I have also used up the last of the Tygon fuel tube I had in stock... Its 8mm ID and I am unable to source any more without buying a large quantity, which is really annoying.

Old 20-11-2022, 11:47 AM   #73
crawsue
Bronze Member

Smile Gratuitous Guzzi pic….

You might find this pic of interest Buzzer….with winter on the doorstep I hope you’ve got another project up your sleeve to keep us all entertained….
Old 20-11-2022, 11:56 AM   #74
crawsue
Bronze Member

Wink The one that got away…..

This was my only foray into Guzzi ownership, a V11 sport “Rosso Mandelo “…..a strange clutch action and an electrical / ECU fuelling issue which was never properly resolved. Bosch EFI from memory…..” they all do that sir “……I wish that I’d persevered now, it was a joy on the open road….
Old 20-11-2022, 12:17 PM   #75
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
You might find this pic of interest Buzzer….with winter on the doorstep I hope you’ve got another project up your sleeve to keep us all entertained….
Nice but when I see this style of custom Guzzi, I wonder what they do for a battery...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote