UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Mpg

Old 15-03-2022, 11:04 AM   #1
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Mpg

Hope this is the correct place for this thread.

Hello everyone,
Quick question; what’s the typical mpg on an 1100 evo?

I’ve noticed (probably with the increase in fuel price ((tight scotsman here)) that my mpg is atrocious. Basically I’m calculating it out to 36mpg…bear in mind my bike runs a power commander and has been dyno’d/mapped has a 42tooth rear sprocket, runs on super unleaded and I ride it in a ‘spirited’ manner so it might be slightly on the heavier side.

As a reference my smaller engined but more powerful street triple RS is about 50/55mpg

Last edited by Ron1000; 15-03-2022 at 11:06 AM..
Ron1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 03:03 PM   #2
Luddite

For the last couple of years, I've been filling my Evo from cans in my garage so I haven't checked the actual mileage recently but, when I was using the pumps, it was in the low to mid 50s like your Triumph.

I've got the lowered gearing like you, a Rexxer remap and always use Esso Supreme.

I must be getting more fuel in the tank filling it from a can because, since I started doing that, I get 135 - 140 miles before the fuel light comes on. Before that it was a pretty reliable 120 miles.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
Ron1000

Interestingly mines is always ‘filled’ on the side stand but my side stand is weird and leans really far over. Id say minimum 1.5 litres I’m not getting in there.

It’s good for about 90miles before light. But it’s got a good 20miles after the light. I am however a little suspicious my power commander and map is running waaaaaaaaay too rich…it’s going on the rolling road soon just to see what the current map is actually doing and if it needs adjusted. I’ll find out then i suppose.
Ron1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 03:31 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
My '02 S4 916 was running around 36mpg when I ran the numbers, I thought it was thirsty but I thiink that's normal actually. I think a good Dynojet map will make it richer low down so if you potter about at low revs you'll probably burn more fuel. V twins are not really economical compared to other big bikes, they can't be and an 1100 is going to be thirstier than a 916?

Is anybody getting more than mid 30's from an old school big twin?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #5
crawsue
Bronze Member

Hi James , my gearing is standard and with the Rexer reflashed ECU...In practical terms I would start full at Dumbarton go to Tarbert (West Loch Fyne) and get back to Lochgilphead....fuel light comes on at, or just after Tarbert...at brisk speeds I’m hoping to get around 120 miles before the fuel light comes on. If we get a run we can compare from a full tank. Riding style makes a big difference, my Sprint st 1050 will do nearly 200 miles fully loaded and 2 up at sensible autobahn speeds ....85 ish....but giving it welly on a Sunday riding solo it’s closer to 155....
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 03:46 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Multi cylinder bikes are always going to be more economical to run. I wouldn't necessarily buy a Ducati V twin with fuel economy in mind, It is what it is is but riding experience of a big 1000 cc V twin is second to none.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 04:54 PM   #7
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post

Yes but not a Ducati, my old Guzzi LeMans gets high 40s to low 50s (250ish mile tank range!) but my Ducatis are normally around the mid thirties with the Monster returning a couple of MPG less than the 916.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 05:36 PM   #8
Luddite

Quote:
Yes! (See above...)

And Mr Gazza is the master of hyper-miling, I think:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=59329
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 08:47 PM   #9
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
My '02 S4 916 was running around 36mpg when I ran the numbers, I thought it was thirsty but I thiink that's normal actually. I think a good Dynojet map will make it richer low down so if you potter about at low revs you'll probably burn more fuel. V twins are not really economical compared to other big bikes, they can't be and an 1100 is going to be thirstier than a 916?

My 1960's 883 ironhead Sportster with a magneto regularly got almost 50 MPG, when I was young and dumb and traffic was lighter. In fact, I went to switch it to reserve one night when it coughed/spluttered through some bends - only to realize it was already on reserve... Managed to keep it running 8-9 miles to the nearest 24 hour station by sloshing fuel from side-to-side - and it died the instant the front wheel hit the on-ramp and I rolled across the forecourt with only the tyres making any noise... It had 97 or 98 miles since the previous fillup....

With a 2 gallon XLCH tank and about a pint or so in reserve, you did tend to keep an eye on the odo. And this despite the crudest "carburetor" I've ever seen - a old "tomato-tin" Tillotson.

I agree though; when I broke 100 miles before the "low fuel warning" light on my '01 S4, I knew it was running so much better than it had previously (because I had been seeing 75-85 miles)...

In comparison, the 2001 900 Dark (also with a DP ECU, open airbox/DP high level etc) would regularly go 115-120 miles before the light came on.

I know the S4 tank is more hollowed out underneath (to accommodate the cam boxes) - but seemed to me that a 4 valve/DOHC/COP should be more efficient anyway - plus this seemed like a larger difference than you'd expect - it's not like the tank didn't accept respectable quantities of fuel...
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 08:58 PM   #10
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
And Mr Gazza is the master of hyper-miling, I think:
Yeh, he is ...
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote