UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Mild Restoration - M900sie

Old 13-01-2023, 07:47 PM   #16
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I'm loathe to jump in and further encourage you to do it yourself if your facilities aren't really up to it, but ...
If lack of bench space should become a deciding factor then its worth considering a black and decker workmate.
I was given an old one a few years back and I've been surprised at how useful it is.
Packs down for easy storage and makes a useful outdoor workstation for messy jobs.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 07:45 AM   #17
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
^^^ I agree with Jez, powder coating is over rated. The finish is not that resilient to knocks which are easily suffered during installation of major components and has the added disadvantage that it cannot be easily touched up afterwards. His point about the finish being too thick causing it to crack or flake off when a bolt is tightened against it is also valid.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 09:13 AM   #18
adie851

Bike: S4r
What you could do to stop the bike deteriorating further in your garage is buy a little portable generator..Honda are probably the best.....then get yourself a dehumidifier ....and when you are working in( or near )the garage....run it for as long as you are able to .Obviously make sure the fumes can exit the garage. It isn't an ideal situation what you've got. But I'd do that first ,then get a heater ..you'll need to check the ratings of these devices so that they're compatible with the generator output..make the garage a decent working environment.... then start your restoration...
Hope this helps.
adie851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 07:17 PM   #19
deanyoungblood

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I appreciate all the comments and feedback.

I’m going to mull over it, trying to persuade my brother to let me store it in his double garage, full of junk, for a few months.

I’d love to keep it original and I love the bike, so much soul and feeling, so it’ll pain me to change anything away from factory. It is totally standard so anything I do would have to be sympathetic
deanyoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 08:33 PM   #20
jamminbmx

Bike: M600
I maintain my monster in a wooden shed and have just got lighting installed by running an extension cord across the garden! Before that i used rechargeable lights and a head torch!

Workmate is a brilliant tip! Just rebuilt the engine of my DR800 on one. Excellent stability and fold out of the way!

Last edited by jamminbmx; 18-01-2023 at 06:20 AM..
jamminbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:41 PM   #21
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I used to poo poo Work Mates but when my mate Pete got one into my garage I was converted really useful item , \i have one in Thailand now as well, Last 4 rebuilds I done all powder coated frames and wheels etc , but this time I have gone with 2 pack on 750ss rebuild , cant tell the difference and its cheaper ...I no longer sure where to move to in UK but I want to get far away from Brighton but not North maybe go west will have a smaller garage I think as Im only going for a 2 bedroom place .