UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » So would you swap?

Old 19-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
He11cat

So would you swap?

There seems to be a lot of people selling their monsters at the mo.

I understand as I have sold bikes I originally said I wouldn't and sometimes a change is as good as a rest or circumstances change.

So... would you????
If so what if anything could temp you?

I love my monsters and can't see me parting with them , I would like a dry clutch more then anything mind.

If I could have another bike and I was taller I would pick a Superlight in yellow.
Old 19-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
seby

There is a yellow SL in Dorset up for sale
Is not in very good condition it needs some refresh
You can ask if he want to swap
Old 19-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
It is difficult isn't it? When I passed my test 9 years ago I thought I would have a Ducati for ever, but I guess we all change
I think when you get to a certain age (where I am?) you sometimes have less time to do the things you like - .I don't have time to do everything - Cycling, photography, walking, pub lunches with the children and grandchildren, just sitting in the garden with a cold beer on a sunny afternoon ( well I can dream about the sun can't I?)

At the moment, for me, I want to spend all my spare time with my family and the bike is not getting used. It seems such a waste seeing it sitting there doing nothing.

I have done 1000 miles in the last 12 months and 300 of that was to build up the miles specifically to have the first service done.

I guess I could keep the Monster and just use it very occasionally, but that is when they become less reliable and start having problems with the electrics and battery. It deserves better.

I also think I have changed. Riding used to be my escape- getting away from some of the pressures, but now I don't have the same pressures so I don't have the passion to ride.

I have tried new Monsters, I have tried track bikes, I have tried doing up old bikes. Now I just want to enjoy the other things around me.

Mel, I hope you enjoy riding forever but I fear that some point you too will reach a stage where other things become more important.

I have another bike which I will keep because it does not break my heart to see it not being ridden.

But watch this space - most UKMOC people know me too well and I will probably be back in the Monster Fold at some time, blinging it up
Old 19-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
Zak

I have owned 7 bikes since passing my test 11 years ago, all of them Ducati's, 5 of them monsters. The work that I've currently put into my Monster has been so extensive, so arduous at times and fuelled entirely by passion, that now I just couldn't sell it, firstly I wouldnt get the cash it's worth to me, secondly I sold my 916 5 years ago and have regretted it ever since. Hence why I've just bought myself a 748s, it's just sooooo purty!!

However, you never know what's round the corner and circumstances change, my business could hit tough times, I could move to another part of the world, as a family we could need the extra cash etc etc, and as much as I love the bikes, they are just 'things' and if needed they would go, albeit with a heavy heart, but they would go.
Old 19-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Thirdway

Similar to single track.

Motorcycles are another distraction and no longer a necessity.

I was weighing up selling the Monster because I only rode it 100 mles last year. I like the bike, but obviously don't need it.

The ST4 gets all the duties, in a way it's even more engaging because it isn't so simple to ride and it's practical, doesn't owe me much, I go out in all weathers on it, don't care where it's parked, it's got a few scratches anyway, my wife can ride on the back.

So, it pointless keeping two bikes.
Old 19-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
the_adam

Guess I'm somewhere in between...I've now got a broken Monster that probably won't be fixed for ages and a different bike!

I'm hoping to keep it even once I can afford to have it repaired, keeping hold of the replacement swingarm with a view to making it a nice occasional bike. It'll be made nice again whatever happens and then I'll see how much financial sense it makes to keep it... At the moment it's saving me a fortune on insurance anyway so I've got no reason to sell it This new one keeps surprising me though, it was nice and clear going onto the motorway this morning so I randomly decided to see what it'd do in 1st gear. Was slightly surprised to see 80 and didn't try going any further Think my argument that it's a sensible bike for commuting might need a rethink...

In terms of what I'd swap the monster for it'd still only be a streetfighter s. And to be honest I don't really need one
Old 19-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Gilps

Anne (Singletrack) has pretty well summed up just where I'm at right now. Maybe it is an age thing. Just like Anne, I no longer feel a need to get away from things. In fact, being away from family makes me unhappy. However, I just can't bear to be without a bike somewhere around, hence my plan to sell my Monster and buy something a little older which I can play with. That way it won't carry depreciaton, and it gives me something to do bike related without having to leave the house too much. Then when things change and the kids grow a little, I will have a bike to go out on which I will have invested a lot of my own time in making it my own. At the moment I'm getting a great deal of pleasure rebuild my SS. I've never done anything like it before and I'm learning a lot.

My Monster will go at some point, not sure when, and when it does I will be really sad to see it go, but I'll still have my SS.
Old 19-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
Gilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by He11cat View Post
If I could have another bike and I was taller I would pick a Superlight in yellow.
SL's are really quite low. The Mk1 SL had a very low seat height, due to the seat being just a 1" thick piece of foam. The later SL's had a thicker proper seat pad but it was still lower than the stock seat. There's nothing to stop you putting the Mk1 seat pad on to a later seat. With my Mk1 I could get both feet flat on the floor and I'm only a 29" inside leg.
Old 19-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Phatty

Love my S4. Almost sold it last year when I bought the ST4S but the monster was so much better I got rid of the ST4S after a month!!

Had my taste of track action now though and the S4 isn't the ideal tool. Fancy a 748 but wouldn't want to ride one of those every day.
Old 19-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I'd swap my Monster for something with a bigger engine from the Multistrada 1200.
Though I did see some spy shots of BMW testing a 1000 RR Naked....

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
noTHINGfaced

I recently sold my Monster 1100 for a Streetfighter 1098 as I wanted a little more power. I'd have another Monster in a shot and the missus loved it as it was much prettier than the SF (that just looks like an angry bastard).

If I can justify it I'll get another Monster next year perhaps.
Old 19-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
Desmond

Not for the world, at the moment. I've waited since 2003 for my little Monster when I first sat on one at the NEC bike show. There always seemed something more sensible or practical to spend money on (property, pensions etc). In fact, even now I pinch myself to check it's not a dream that Desmond's in the garage. The final push came when I got diagnosed with a chronic pain condition back in 2009 and realised I was never going to get back on a sports bike but a Monster I may manage (in fact my pain management consultant suggested it!). Pain is a weird thing, and your state of mind alters how it affects you. I still return home after a spin out with a cheesy grin on my face and little pain with all the adrenaline and endorphins swirling round inside. I agree with what others have said, different times in your life mean there are different priorities. Mine now is biking – while I can. Alice
Old 19-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
He11cat

The SL is way to high for me! 26 inside leg .... a 29inch height bike is giant to me honestly you have to see the hoo ha of me getting on my monste which possibly could be the lowest about now!

@Singletrack I totally understand you.

I have had bikes around me for years and years , at one point I did still have 2 bikes but due to a relationship and family I was told I was irresponcible. Also an off that could have damaged me but worse..

I wanted to fix my bike , but ... lets just say sometimes we have to sacrifice to keep the peace which is what I did. After a divorce I said I wouldn't go through another one or big bust up.

I had to change my entire life .

I grew very very resentful and low , and just hated trying to be something I wasn't to keep the peace.
One day I just snapped it was a choice of stay in a 13 year relationship in which ok he wasn't a bad bloke at all just not right for me.
I gave my fav bike away and sold the other before it rotted away.
I one day snapped.. walked out.
I couldn't live a life that was alien to me any more.
I then went and got another bike a week later...

I now have nothing ... half a house .. and my bikes and family and friends.
Left with just my cloths and bits and started again from scratch.
My ex actualy said he was sorry , and it was like watching a caged bird get sadder and sadder.I have never felt so unhappy in my whole life.

So the answer is never again..... the bikes will never be out of my life if anyone says that again they are out.
Old 19-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
He11cat

Would I swap ... not the baby monster no...
But if I got better I would be tempted to lump a 900 engine in Hector... I want a dry clutch so bad!
Old 19-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
Nottsbiker

My plan is to build my 900 up over the next 18 months into the type of Monster that I've always wanted to own. I then intend on selling my Tuono and buying a pick-up truck with the money before ultimately a few years down the line getting something to do some touring holidays on like for example a Fazer 1000 with hard luggage.

Girlfriend wants to keep her pink speed triple when she gets an 800 Adventure xc so I'll easily be able to justify owning multiple bikes