UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Events :. » Events » Coast to Coast route planning, Marshalling and breakdown

Old 18-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #31
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
I reckon 4 miles of Motorway is probably a good move at that point......
Yep, I'd say that was probably a no-brainer.
M5, junct 29 to 31, then A30 to the first roundabout.
There looks to be a short link from there through to the planned B3212 across Dartmoor.

The only other sensible option seems to be to continue on the A30 which actually turns into the aforementioned B3132 just before Exeter and then goes straight through the city centre.
Its a fair bit shorter, involves no "official" junctions/turnoffs and looks to be dead easy on the map .. but does go through the centre.

The above is just taken from the map though .. I don't know the area myself.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #32
Maggsy

Bike: M696
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
I reckon 4 miles of Motorway is probably a good move at that point, rather than getting stuck in an alien city centre for half and hour trying to keep a pack of bikes together and make decent progress
I travel this route regularly and I would definitely agree with this.

BTW. Are we still looking for a definitive route thorough Devon and Cornwall?

If so, my suggestion would be to take A38. This gives the most interesting entry into Cornwall, over the Tamar Bridge at Saltash with great views of the Tamar Estuary and Brunel's famous railway bridge alongside the road bridge.

http://www.tamarcrossings.org.uk/ind...rticleid=49588

The A30 is also a good road, crossing Bodmin Moor with glimpses of the Atlantic Coast in the distance and would be the obvious choice for the return journey.

If people aren't too tired and fancy a detour, the B3276 coast road from Newquay to Padstow is a fantastic road.
Maggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #33
ValiantBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
O.K now things are panning out nicely I reckon that if you still plan on being around Oxford for 09:00 I will cut across the Downs- Midhurst, Haslemere, Alton then onto Basingstoke to meet up with you all around Newbury.

Then I can ride down to wherever until I need to turn back and head for home as I can only make the Saturday due to wifey working on Sundays.

Anyone along my route who fancies meeting up for the rendezvous please get in touch.
I was originally going to meet the pack in Oxford, but Newbury would make more sense, I'll be coming over from Walton on Thames. Also need to be back home on Saturday.
Old 18-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #34
SteveG

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Flip,Valiant and any others. I'm setting off from Newbury (home...) can meet up there with any others coming in from London/ Midlands/East directions. Just out of Newbury west side on A4 to Hungerford road and within half a mile Newbury side of the A34 North /South there is a Shell Garage for a quick pit-stop if needed. Link if it helps. Not sure if they have loo's .. will check... Shell, Bath Rd, Speen, Newbury RG14 1QT
https://goo.gl/maps/mP4qpYJCFmE2
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 09:17 PM   #35
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
The A30 from Bodmin to Redruth / Camborne is pretty dull and full of tourists but if you've been going for a while then it may be the better and faster option than trying to find the North Coast for a short blat.

There's a new service station on the A39 near Roche that does food / fuel.

Depending on time / numbness we could do a detour through Portreath and along the cost road to Hayle then back on the A30 to Penzance / Lands End. This'll put about 15 minutes on the time.

Happy to join around Bodmin / Roche to Lands End
Old 20-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #36
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Sorry for the delay in replying, I've had a hectic couple of days.
Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas guys.. I will have a proper look at all this as soon as possible.

Yes Maggsy we are still looking for a definitive route across Devon and Cornwall. The route I pulled up in post #26 is just a sort of desire line for editing around.
You can click and drag the route to alternative roads. If anyone has any better suggestions please feel free to do so.

What I am keen to avoid is the kind of thing that happens in Norfolk on a Saturday, when the holiday changeover traffic gridlocks certain roads and places like Wroxham for instance. I'm hoping locals can guide us round the bottlenecks..

Thanks.
Old 20-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #37
Blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post

What I am keen to avoid is the kind of thing that happens in Norfolk on a Saturday, when the holiday changeover traffic gridlocks certain roads and places ....
That rules out most of Cornwall then, can you get a boat from Exeter..???

The A39 goes near to Newquay, if you try the South coast then you're into Truro and Falmouth and if you try straight down the middle on the A30, that goes to single carriageway in places but it would be the best of a bad bunch to do the distance.

And TBH, will you want to be doing technical, really twisty sections after 8 or so hours in the saddle or will it be a case of you'd be happy to take some long, sweeping dual carriageways for a bit?? There are some great corners after Penzance and down the coast road back to St Just though so you won't miss them all.

Last edited by Blah blah; 20-04-2017 at 08:14 PM..
Blah blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #38
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks Blah blah. You're hitting the nail on the head there.

Most people I've spoken to about this last bit, concede that a nice easy road is going to be the order for weary riders.
The wiggly bits right at the very end that you mention, sound very nice. It might be good for someone like your good self to lead us through there to keep it all nice and smooth and safe.
Old 21-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #39
Blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Thanks Blah blah. You're hitting the nail on the head there.

Most people I've spoken to about this last bit, concede that a nice easy road is going to be the order for weary riders.
The wiggly bits right at the very end that you mention, sound very nice. It might be good for someone like your good self to lead us through there to keep it all nice and smooth and safe.
Happy to, I can meet where / when you want.

If you can get to the services at Roche (easy to find, they're the only services on the A30, fuel and food) I can meet there or if not, somewhere in Bodmin or somewhere in between with a quick stop at the services if you need. I'll take you through to Lands End and then back to St Just so you can rest your weary heads... Let's hope that Lands end is still open when you get there !

edit... what day is it?

Last edited by Blah blah; 21-04-2017 at 07:13 PM..
Blah blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #40
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thank you Blah blah, that would be just grand..

Just had a horrid week, so can't wait to take some time to assimilate all this over the weekend and post up a route proposal for local scrutiny... Thanks all.

It's Saturday June 10th.
Old 21-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #41
Facom

over the Tamar and along the A38 west on the A30 for about 8 miles to union queens junction turn of for Newquay and head for perenporth and stay on coast road through hayle on to st ives and backroad to lands end
Old 21-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #42
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Good luck with this, and we want loads of pics of course! I have to confess I've never ventured that far south into that part of the country. I just can't help thinking "As I was going to St. Ives I met a man with seven wives, how many were going to St. ives?"

More to the point, how many Monsters going to St. Ives?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #43
Char
We're all mad here

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
after visiting Newquay last week there are roadworks on the A30 as you go over the moor

A39 would be OK if time permits but might be worth having alternatives

Where is your stop before this point I thought Devizes but cant see now!
Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #44
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for the heads up re the road works Char. The google map that I have used to plot the route, flags up the road works, so it will be worth a check nearer the time. (quite a few on the A30 at the moment by the looks of things!)

This is the third leg which takes us down to Willoughby Hedge on the A303.
https://goo.gl/maps/Pf9PFqvRy7T2

I have stretched a line across the map to Lands End here.
https://goo.gl/maps/UHx5YgJc6412

This is not intended to be the final route, but a starting point for folk to play with.. You can click and drag the highlighted route onto other roads at will.

I have read and digested all the route suggestions above and I have struggled with this.
I'm afraid it's all a bit abstract to me as I simply don't know anything about the area.
I have found it difficult to find the various roads on the map and then join them into a coherent route.
I would be really grateful if you could show me your suggestions on a google map or drag your route onto the map above and re-post.

To post an edited map you need to find the < symbol with the blobs on the ends of the lines. You may have to click on "details" first if you don't see it on the page.
Click on the < symbol, then select the short link or url and copy and paste to your post.

We are also in need of a stop off for fuel and refreshment at a point about 90ish miles from Willoughby Hedge.

It could be that we could have an alternative "interesting" or " easy" route for the last few tens of miles, depending on energy levels, weather and traffic, and also how we are doing for time at that stage.

Thanks again to Blah blah for offering to lead us on the last section. If any other locals are willing to take us through any of the Devon/Cornwall bits that would be really great..

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 03-05-2017 at 04:58 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 11:04 PM   #45
Facom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah blah View Post
Happy to, I can meet where / when you want.

If you can get to the services at Roche (easy to find, they're the only services on the A30, fuel and food) I can meet there or if not, somewhere in Bodmin or somewhere in between with a quick stop at the services if you need. I'll take you through to Lands End and then back to St Just so you can rest your weary heads... Let's hope that Lands end is still open when you get there !

edit... what day is it?
I'm happy to help if you need it