UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Pilot road 4 m821

Old 28-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
Fuzzy

Pilot road 4 m821

Little feedback..... the pilot road 4s I had fitted the rear has squared off to an unpleasant level after 3000 miles with a very defined edge. Sure the 1000 miles of motorway riding last week wouldn't have helped but my question is this.... WTF am I doing wrong to get such poor life out of the rear tyre?! Front has worn well this time and has plenty of life left but I'm going through rears like you wouldn't believe!

I got 6300 out of a rear from Metzeler on a 675r (tuned) and ridden in largely straight lines and it was still like new in terms of shape... I don't accelerate hard instead I carry my speed usually 50-70mph on my commute.... so I don't know what I'm doing to kill the rear tyre at 3000 miles on the Ducati.
Old 28-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
Fat Pete

I didn't think you could get the Road Pilot in 180/60 I thought they were 180/55 !!
Old 29-04-2017, 06:31 AM   #3
Wildfire

Sounds very odd! I'm on 3000 or so with a lot of motor way on my Rosso 2's. PR4's should last a lot loners. Are the pressure's ok?
Old 29-04-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Pete View Post
I didn't think you could get the Road Pilot in 180/60 I thought they were 180/55 !!
That is correct. Ideally you should adjust the ride height to compensate for the difference when you fit the PR4. That is exactly what I did on my Streetfighter 848, which was easy because that has a ride height adjuster fitted. I don't know about the M821, but on the SF848 the different tyre size has affected the traction control settings slightly.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
You should get a lot more mileage out of a PR4 rear than you are. After a couple of thousand miles the PR4 on my SF848 still looks like new and that included a ride up and down motorway from the south coast to the highlands of Scotland. When I had PR3s on my M1100evo I got 8000 miles out of them.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I might be inclined to check the wheel alignment.
Its a longish shot but worth checking perhaps.
I might also check the current state of wheel balance.
And the wheel bearings, while I was at it.
I wouldn't hold out loads of hope for any of these being the cause of your accelerated tyre wear, but worth checking anyway.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote