UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Swollen tank solutions?

Old 28-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #16
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
What a truly bizarre situation this is.
Surely this would never be allowed to happen in the car world.
Its almost tempting to go to the bother of extracting the ethanol using water and a siphon tube, before using it in the bike.

I began using premium (low ethanol) fuel a couple of years ago.
Contrary to the findings of others, I actually found that both the monster and my thumper ran noticeably better on it.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #17
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
'Tis indeed bad, luckily all my bikes have metal tanks (probably rust through instead now).

I use super unleaded in all of them; 916 because high-comp and was tuned specifically for it, Monster because it has high-comp pistons and so favours higher octanes (I know they can tend to pink on lower octane fuels) and the Guzzi because it also is fairly high-comp plus it was built in the '70s in the days of 5-star leaded fuel.

It costs a bit more but for my bikes I don't mind paying the extra and I don't do huge mileages either so really a great cost increase.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #18
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
What a truly bizarre situation this is.
Surely this would never be allowed to happen in the car world.
Its almost tempting to go to the bother of extracting the ethanol using water and a siphon tube, before using it in the bike.

I began using premium (low ethanol) fuel a couple of years ago.
Contrary to the findings of others, I actually found that both the monster and my thumper ran noticeably better on it.
I can assure you that it does happen in both the car and truck world plastic tanks swell but because they are not visibly part of the cosmetics and rarely have to be opened its not the same problem but water in ethanol fuels diesel and petrol does cause issues in 4 wheeled world and the occaisional swollen tanks burst or split spilling fuel on the road bad if its diesel
Old 07-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #19
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
You've got a point there, Utopia, removing the ethanol yourself is an option. Indeed, there are kits on the market to enable us to do just that ("Ethanil" springs to mind).

One thing to watch out for if you do remove the ethanol is octane drop. Ethanol has a much higher octane rating than petrol, (I've read as high as 113), and it's used to boost the overall octane rating of the pump fuel. If you remove the ethanol, the octane rating of the petrol will drop. (I think the overall octane rating drops by about 1 point for each 2% ethanol removed.)

Most modern engines require a minimum 95 octane to run safely. Consequently, if you remove the ethanol from 97 octane super, it might be ok but, if you start with 95 octane, there could be pre-ignition problems after removing the ethanol and an octane booster might be needed to bring it back to 95.

If anyone's worried or just curious about the ethanol content in their fuel, it's a simple exercise to check it as per my earlier thread http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54542
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote