UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » For Sale » Headlamp Adapter Rings

Old 12-04-2020, 07:44 PM   #46
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thanks to everyone who has tried my adapter kits, So far no complaints and good reports from the various lamp units tried out.
To be honest I've lost count of how many have gone out, but there are nearly 30 out there.
I have just sold the last Black one and now have to look at spraying some of my bare stock. There will be a short delay in replenishing stock while I find the time to do this. In the mean time there are plenty of Gold and bare ones. There will be a slight price hike to cover the paint and postal increase which I have been absorbing since it went up. The kits will still be under £20, so still something like 90% less than the commercial option.

When I first started this, I hung a prototype in an Apple tree just outside my workshop door. It has been out there bare and untouched for 38 months in everything nature has thrown at it. I did this to test the durability of Tricoya Extreme, which is a form of MDF.. Try this with ordinary MDF!
I pulled it down today and checked it for flat, round and the dimensions written on it when I hung it out ( 5/2/17). It is still exactly the same size and shape, although now somewhat green in places. A few seconds with a bit of sandpaper brought it up like brand new under the Verdigris. So I don't think you need to worry about these rings falling apart in your bike, in fact I would wager that they will outlast the chromed steel rims?

Don't worry this one won't be for sale. It's back hanging in the tree..

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 12-04-2020 at 07:48 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:30 PM   #47
dacs

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Talking

Well I've got 2 adapter rings, one black and one gold. But now I'm thinking of an upgrade, that patchy green one is really cool.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:57 PM   #48
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

It takes about three years to put that finish on so order early..
Old 12-04-2020, 10:30 PM   #49
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Thanks to everyone who has tried my adapter kits, So far no complaints and good reports from the various lamp units tried out.
To be honest I've lost count of how many have gone out, but there are nearly 30 out there.
I have just sold the last Black one and now have to look at spraying some of my bare stock. There will be a short delay in replenishing stock while I find the time to do this. In the mean time there are plenty of Gold and bare ones. There will be a slight price hike to cover the paint and postal increase which I have been absorbing since it went up. The kits will still be under £20, so still something like 90% less than the commercial option.

When I first started this, I hung a prototype in an Apple tree just outside my workshop door. It has been out there bare and untouched for 38 months in everything nature has thrown at it. I did this to test the durability of Tricoya Extreme, which is a form of MDF.. Try this with ordinary MDF!
I pulled it down today and checked it for flat, round and the dimensions written on it when I hung it out ( 5/2/17). It is still exactly the same size and shape, although now somewhat green in places. A few seconds with a bit of sandpaper brought it up like brand new under the Verdigris. So I don't think you need to worry about these rings falling apart in your bike, in fact I would wager that they will outlast the chromed steel rims?

Don't worry this one won't be for sale. It's back hanging in the tree..
Did I ever mention these rings are brilliant?

bill hader net worth

Last edited by Jez900ie; 12-04-2020 at 10:36 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:44 PM   #50
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks again Jez, I think you must be my most satisfied customer..
Old 12-04-2020, 11:41 PM   #51
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I think that should be "equal most satisfied customer" because I can't see how anyone could be more satisfied than I am with mine.
It is rare indeed for a homespun bit of kit to stand up so well, both "in the field" and in the apple tree.
And at such a reasonable price too.
I have a gold one on my bike, simply because its such a Gazza colour.
It has performed perfectly and I have not needed to give it so much as a passing thought since the day I fitted it.
I also have a second one which will hopefully get a special paint/print/dip job at some stage, either in carbon looky-likey or in my preferred micro-paisley finish.

Top job, mate.
Congratulations.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 09:40 AM   #52
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thank you Jeff, that's very heart warming.

I can't wait to see a faux Carbon or micro-paisley one. These would lend themselves to Hydro-dipping very well, no worries about total immersion in water for any length of time, although I would love to see the look on the face of the Hydro-dipping guy when he is asked to submerge MDF..
Old 13-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #53
jerry
Old Git

They are excellent mate ,, thanks ,, might want another one soon
Old 13-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #54
The Clockie

I realise that this is some way away from Gary's famous adaptor rings but, like him, I'm always looking to enhance the visibility of my bikes. All get a LED headlamp bulb and a set of extra LED drls of one kind or another. Same situation with the 2013 HyperStrada 821; a Ducati which may well not be to the taste of most Monster owners! It's the newest bike I have and incorporates Canbus wiring and alternative riding modes which are rather unfamiliar to one of my age. And of course it has lights that don't power-up until the motor is running.

Anyway, I had to fit an LED H4 bulb that was Canbus-proof, and then added some COB LED strips to either side of the radiator shrouds. It looked very impressive, but along the way I seemed to have lost mainbeam function on the headlamp. Dip; yes, and mainbeam flash; yes, but no mainbeam full-on.

Rather dreading I'd corrupted some of the programming of the ECU, and worrying about how to get the bike past the MOT, I dismantled the headlamp again, at the same time trying another brand of LED with a canbus defeat add-on, and also putting the old halogen bulb back in. Basically, the HS headlamp is the worst I've ever come across for beam pattern and projection, but the design and style permit no alternatives. Anyway, all the bulbs I tried behaved the same: no mainbeam full-on.

Starting to tear my hair out, I dismantled the lighting switch but everything looked clean and good in there so no joy. That was until I realised that the mainbeam flash trigger seemed to have an additional function. You may have guessed: I'd been trying to alter the headlamp beam by using the other switch in the block that accesses the riding modes! Oh dear So all is well after all, but it means I need to re-program what remains of my brain before taking each bike out...

Nick
Old 14-05-2020, 04:46 PM   #55
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

If I can join the 7 inch club? Can you please put me down for a black one when you do the next batch? Thanks.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #56
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

You might be better off ordering a bare one to spray yourself Darren. I'm afraid all my plates are rather full at the moment and I seem to spend all my time spinning them!
If I remember I will try and order a can of satin black tonight, but don't hold your breath while I put it on the rings!... Sorry..
Old 14-05-2020, 08:23 PM   #57
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Plain is ok Gary, if it's easier for you? My painting skills and experience are somewhat limited, I sprayed a lot of brackets and stuff with generic black Hamerite on my Laverda rebuild and on the Harley Sportster I blew the whole frame over and most of everything else with black Hamerite too and it didn't look too bad in the end, but far from perfect. If you can let me know what prep I need and what to paint as a base coat or primer I will have a go.

Old 15-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #58
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Darren. I'm afraid the evening went SHOOM! without ordering any paint.

I like to use professional aerosols from Ketts as they have a nice little steerable jet and they are as good as a spray gun. I more often than not get special colours mixed too, so I stick with a good company.
I usually spray a medium coat of primer filler, then a very light rub down, then a top coat, in three or four light applications.

I can't see you having much trouble with Hammerite if that's what you're happy with, as the object is only to colour the visible part of the ring and make it easier to wash the flies off. You'd probably be okay with a priming coat of Hammerite, a light rub over and then a top coat, as above. The rub down is just to smooth the slight grainy finish you get on the bare Tricoya. If you're worried just try it out on the back.
Out of interest which light are you thinking of fitting?
Old 15-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #59
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Hey Gary, thanks for the heads up. Life get's in the way sometimes, so don't worry? I'm thinking by the sounds of things the paint you use might be expensive for me to just paint one ring? I'm favouring a satin black finish anyway since I think it will be easier to get something acceptable. I had considered hydro dip carbon style but when I looked into the starter kits are £50 so that's not viable for one small item anyway and with the rest of the lamp it's pretty trivial anyway. Satin black would be fine.

As regards the lamp unit I chose it's one of those generic LED projector type that look a bit like the Motodemic or other expensive types and include a metal heat sink rear and internal fan with 2 LED projectors and a halo DRL. I had originally ruled those type out as I didn't think they would suit the bike with the current stock lamp unit but then I remembered I had a carbon shell and rim in a box doing nothing and it might look Ok with that. So I was kinda swayed with that setup so I got one. It's still in the experimental stages and will have to see how it looks all together but I figured that if I had an adapter ring it would give me options and I could fit whatever I wanted?

Old 15-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #60
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
If I can join the 7 inch club?
Size isn't everything, you know...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote