UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » For Sale » 1997 900 Monster

Old 22-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #1
Steve Willmott

Bike: M900
1997 900 Monster

Hi everyone.
This is my number 2 Monster that I need to sell as I really should be using number 1 Monster that needs a few quid spending on it as it’s had a hard life
Custom paint, Ducati D logo machined into handlebar clamp and clutch cover, cut down original exhaust cans freshly repacked, shorty span adjustable levers, rev counter in a one off case, k&n air filter and stage one dynojet kit, varley red top battery, tail chop, mini indicators, Oberon bar end mirror. I did the belts and an oil and filter change four weeks ago. Went straight through last years mot on 1-10-19. It has done 21270 miles.£3300 ono.

Many thanks
Steve

Last edited by Steve Willmott; 23-06-2020 at 11:11 AM..
Steve Willmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
3.9 might be a bit optimistic for a '97. That's really S4 or later inj. S2's territory. '97 was the first year of the small valve low power standard model so it's probably not as sought after as the earlier ones anyway (unless it's an M900 S model with the SS heads and other goodies?), the prices seem to be all over the place anyway. I think everyone is expecting there to be a price explosion on the Monster like there has been for the more exotic 4V sports models (748/916 and now 996 too) but so far it has not happened. Those that dealers seem to be asking top dollar for tend to be the early '93-94 ones that are standard or with period mods. Whether they will sell a '93 low mileage M900 for 4.5 or an '02 M900 Chromo for 4.7 remains to be seen. 4K will get you a nice S4 or late S2 model so if you wanted a Monster those would probably be the ones to go for.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 06:41 PM   #3
Steve Willmott

Hi Darren

Thanks for that, never thought to look at water cooled stuff as a comparison, I’m a bit air cooled only
So where would you expect it to be? I’ve seen some rough looking ones around the 3k mark so that would feel a bit cheap to me, but then I would say that as I’m trying to sell
Old 22-06-2020, 07:03 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

If anything is to go by and really shouldn't be taken as gospel. A really nice one should fetch 2.5 to 3K-and maybe 3.5K at the top end, I would have thought on a good day. well that's the top end of what I would expect to pay for a nice standard early one. A '97 and '98 I don't know 'cos they are down on power from the earlier ones, so I don't know what to advise you really, 3K? and hope they like the very nice custom paint and other mods? I mean it is a very nice looking bike and very clean, but it is far from standard which they seem to be demanding, like it came out of the showroom in '93 or '94 like that in order to ask top dollar for.

Old 22-06-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I mean I'm kicking myself for not hanging out for the extra 1.5-2k for an S4RS ' over what I paid for the S4 Fogarty 'cos the price of the S4RS has gone up at least 3K just recently, only to be expected really and will probably be met at that price too. It is the ultimate original 140bhp Monster but no-one in there right mind is gonna pay 10K+ for a S4 Fogarty when you can get an S4RS for 8k but that's what they're asking for them nowadays. GLWS anyway.

Old 22-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #6
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Depending on mileage (which I did not spot above) I think Darren is about right, custom paint looks nice but maybe a bit "marmite" to a buyer.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
Steve Willmott

Thanks guys, funny how we all look at things differently, I don’t think I’ve ever had anything standard for more than a few days so I didn’t even think of it as a thing. I still think about my number 1 Monster as being current lol. I’ve had it since 97 and there’s not too much original left on it.
Points taken and understood. I’ll have a think and edit the ad. Oh and thanks for pointing out that I missed the mileage off 21270 but I’ll put that in my edit.

Cheers
Steve
Old 22-06-2020, 10:29 PM   #8
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
im the same steve. water cooled are just not for me. would never be an option if i was in the market and am not keen on the exhaust set up on the s2's.
Yours does look lovely and tidy, engine cases in particular look immaculate.
smiffyraf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 11:14 PM   #9
Steve Willmott

Hi Smiffy

Air cooled rules 👍
Never trust a small photo though, it’s tidy but not immaculate, don’t forget it’s a 90’s Ducati 🤣
Old 23-06-2020, 06:40 AM   #10
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
that gauge cluster is a bit unusual isnt it?
smiffyraf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #11
Steve Willmott

Yeah it’s a one off made by the previous owner who is an industrial model maker. He also did the D logo’s and the paint.
Old 23-06-2020, 11:20 AM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
What you have there is a very nicely modified Monster, I like the dash with the two white clocks. Are the symbols on the warning lights the right way up or sideways on? It would be extra clever if they were the right way up as I believe they are on a common "card" so it would need a custom card to right them from the horizontal standard position.

I'm not sure about shortened standard silencers, but it looks okay in this Monster. They would be better still if they were polished even though the anodising looks in good nick. To really take this bike into the top league, those exhaust pipes need to be polished too, then the whole bike will really shine.

There will be someone out there that really appreciates a nicely modded Monster, and you only need one customer at the end of the day. It may take a little longer to sell than an ordinary Monster but I would hold out for a better price if I were you.

I had a '98 M900 which presumably had the "750" heads and I didn't notice any shortage of power, just a lovely smooth satisfying motor bike. Yes my big valve injection 900 does have a lot more go, but I definitely would not describe the former as under powered.
Old 23-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #13
Steve Willmott

Hi Gazza
Thanks for the positive comments. I’m tempted to keep the price up but I really need to cull my motley collection of both two and four wheelers!
I’m sure the next owner will enjoy modifying it a bit more or maybe put it back to standard but I’m such a ditherer I’m not going to be fiddling with it now I’ve finally made my mind up to sell it