UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Events :. » Events » Archive » WDW 2018 » Date announced

Old 16-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Date announced

slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
stopintime

Bike: S2r
Really?

They usually wait until Misano and GP+WSBK riders are confirmed available = after the calendars are set.
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #3
benson

Maybe in 2020 - by then we should be free to travel at that time of year!
Old 16-10-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
Ursa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopintime View Post
Really?

They usually wait until Misano and GP+WSBK riders are confirmed available = after the calendars are set.
MotoGP calendar is confirmed and WSBK is on its summer break then.

Going to have to investigate super strength sun block for my pale blue Scottish skin though, Factor 50 wasn't enough last year and it was a few weeks earlier.
Old 16-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
stopintime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
MotoGP calendar is confirmed and WSBK is on its summer break then.

Excellent - thanks!
Old 27-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #6
ValiantBoy

Any advice for a WDW virgin?

I'm heading to World Ducati Week 2018, keen to hear from anyone who's done it before, especially if you've taken a bike.

Keen to know if there are lockers so you can store your kit away and wear something a little better suited to the climate.

Are the bikes safe when parked up there? Be an Aladin's Cave for thieving little Luigis, nicking carbon fibre trinkets etc.

What are the costs/prices like, over and above the price of entry?

Any other advice? Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave.
Old 27-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #7
BigOz

They have a couple of stands they run as helmet/kit drops, the staff mark your stuff with a number and give you the matching token and put your stuff safely in the back of the stand.

You get an ID tag for your wrist and one for the bike as part of the ticket and they check both match at the entry and exit. Once in the bikes are parked in rows and there are thousands of them, lots with expensive parts so I think you would be incredibly unlucky for something to go missing.

At the circuit there is a noticeable markup but it is not huge.

It is likely to be roasting hot so a mesh jacket is a sensible purchase. The guided ride-outs are good and the test rides are worth looking at. The rest of the paddock can be looked around in a day but they do have events going on all the time like the racers doing drag races.
Old 27-11-2017, 10:39 PM   #8
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Whenever I've parked my bike at the circuit venue I have always felt pretty confident that it was safe.
I have heard reports of one or two being nicked when parked in the surrounding towns though.
That's probably where you need to be most careful.

It will be super-hot at the circuit.
There are acres of tarmac which soak up the heat all day and blast it back at you.
I arrived late afternoon one year, parked the bike up, removed my perforated summer leather jacket and waited for my soaking wet t-shirt to dry a little before moving on .. but it never did.
I take a wide brimmed straw hat and drink at least 2litres of water.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 06:29 AM   #9
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Are all people arriving on Ducatis as at this stage I have 999 and wh n i go i might have 999 or KTM. Lol

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #10
slob

Just don't leave a GoPro attached to your bike when you park up, I've heard of a few of those going walkies when people forget to remove them. Also when in the surrounding towns I'd also park a foreign bike with the number plate away from the road, I reckon thieves will target those above Italian bikes, as the you're less likely to spend months hassling the cops once you've gone home.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 06:08 PM   #11
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
So, for someone that has never been able to go due to a minor thing called work getting in the way (not any more) what goes on at WDW?

How much does it cost? Is accommodation available? Do people ride down from the UK?

What would be a realistic budget? Anything else I need to know?
Thanks
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #12
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
So, for someone that has never been able to go due to a minor thing called work getting in the way (not any more) what goes on at WDW?

How much does it cost? Is accommodation available? Do people ride down from the UK?

Thanks
Misano in July? Scorchio! If you ride down it will be very hot in Italy but the ride down will probably be amazing!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #13
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post

Thanks
A trip of 11 days taking in the 100HP club Night of the Screaming Monsters has been arranged, bikes taken down in vans. One place left
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #14
stopintime

My experience based on 2010 (June), 2012 (June) and 2014 (July):

Lowest 30 Celsius at night / highest 42 Celsius afternoon. That's in the shade... which more or less became my obsession. Lots of water and salt supplements helps.

I did the 20 min included track session and had a blast. Riding on a MotoGP track is magical.

Lots of other cool things going on. Group rides are well organized. MotoGP + SBK riders, historical (Foggy!!!) and current are doing track stuff, signing your stuff, on-stage presentation. Less than half price outlet for apparel and accessories. Factory and museum yours. Barbeque, fireworks, huge bike parade from the track and through downtown. Great for those who don't mind the heat, pushy Italians and lousy logistics. I'm not a fan, but even as a grumpy fart I'm glad I went.

Not many bike thefts, but it only takes one to ruin your week/month/year. I bring a sturdy disc lock and use my alarm all the time. If street parking was my only option, I simply wouldn't go. Locked garage, thank you!

Previous years I have shared a villa B&B with Brits. My first WDW was great - everything was new and exciting. I wouldn't have attended the other two if it wasn't for my Brit friends and the days in the mountains before and after. Norway -> Alps is 2,000 km each way - covered by ferry and train. Then ~2,000 km mountain riding.

Budget: mountain days ~£ 150 each. Misano days.... depends... but the hotels double/triple their rates this weekend. Typical three star hotel £4-500 for three nights. I want a locked garage, so I'll need to pay a little more. Yes, of course there are less expensive alternatives.

This is MY experience. Even if you're (hopefully not) as heat-grumpy as I am, it's a great experience and I haven't heard anyone saying they regret going.
Old 28-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #15
SteveG

Sounds like an experience. Currently looking at a villa with garage and pool at moment @11 km from circuit.. £500 for 4 nights seems a good deal... just need to check with work tomorrow..
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote