UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » S2R 800 2yr Service @ Rosso Corse

Old 17-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
S2R 800 2yr Service @ Rosso Corse

Took my new S2R on for a 2yr service (cam belts etc) with Rosso Corse this week

Ray and Marcus seem like nice people and gave my bike a going over and a gave it a clean bill of health apart from a bent front brake lever that required replacement.

Bike came bike running beautifully and they have offered to fit my R&G's for me as a drop in job when they turn up later in the week. Im Very grateful gents.

Bill was a bit of a shock (but i guess nothing compared to peace of mind) , be interested to know how much others have paid to service an S2R 800 2yr service recently.

thanks

Alasdair
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Redkite

Mine was done here in Holland about 2 months ago, it's an S2R1000 and was around 1300 euros including a set of Mich. PP2ct's, new front brake pads and the top steering head bearing.
Am seriously considering going back to a Honda. The S2R is a lovely bike, but those prices are a bit silly especially as it's once a year. (10K service with new tyres was about 850 euros.

1300 euros is getting on for 1000 squids.(800 e's is about 600 squids).

Stu

Last edited by Redkite; 18-08-2008 at 05:54 PM..
Old 19-08-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
Funkatronic

wow, thats a lot of cash for a service

my service cost £450 inc the lever replacement, so i guess i should be pleased im not in Holland!!!
but then again my bike only has 1100 miles on it, with 10K+ mile, no doubt the cost of parts and labour would increase substantially

guess thats Italian temptresses all over
Beautifully presented, brimming with passion and power, but seriously high maintenance :-P

better enjoy it while i can still afford ;-)
Old 19-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
Arbeia

Well whats all this about 2007 models and above have 50% less maintenance costs? when i had my s2r they said it was gonna be £210 for my 2yr service but my s2r was an 07 model so would probs cost about £400 for an older model.
Old 19-08-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
Funkatronic

In that case my service cost sounds about right, once you factor in the lever replacment part and labour.

ouch!

I Have seen ducatis web site claims about all models since 2007 being 50% cheaper to service

is the 2005-2006 S2R 800 all that much different from the 2007 Model in terms of parts etc?

the service manual i have doesn't suggest they are that different at all

can anyone shed any light on this?

Alasdair
Old 19-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
Arbeia

i dont think they are much different mine was a 2006 model but was registered on a 57plate so it qualified for the 50% less maintenance costs.
They just had to have a cut off point somewhere.
Old 19-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
Funkatronic

from what i can gleen from the website,
it looks like they have basically lengthened the service intervals

less frequent servicing means lower costs and therefore the touted 50% savings

I guess for low milage older monsters the costs are always going to be disproportionately high, as we are still going to need to get the bikes serviced at least once a year regardless of milage and parts cost what the market dictates.

hmm, that said i did not but a Ducati with economy at the forefront of my mind ;-)
Old 19-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Servicing costs are always going to be higher in London (and Holland apparently) than rural workshops. That said, I'm happy to pay a few hundred pounds a year extra not to ride a H*nda.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
Seb_uk
Bronze Member

Bike: M695
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Servicing costs are always going to be higher in London (and Holland apparently) than rural workshops. That said, I'm happy to pay a few hundred pounds a year extra not to ride a H*nda.
Very true - Parkinson's in Colchester charge £40 per hour for labour. In London it would be at least £50 I reckon.
Seb_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Completely agree. Is like a good pub/take away. Once you find the best one, you're going to stick with it until burnt otherwise.

Which reminds me....where are my termignoni exhausts guys.*

*Like me, Italian suppliers are not the quickest!

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redkite View Post
Mine was done here in Holland about 2 months ago, it's an S2R1000 and was around 1300 euros including a set of Mich. PP2ct's, new front brake pads and the top steering head bearing.
Am seriously considering going back to a Honda. The S2R is a lovely bike, but those prices are a bit silly especially as it's once a year. (10K service with new tyres was about 850 euros.

1300 euros is getting on for 1000 squids.(800 e's is about 600 squids).

Stu
bit misleading ending up saying 'getting on for 1000squids' Redkite
The guy was asking the cost of the service - not what else you spent at the same time.

Often many people say it was xyz amount, when in actual fact, it cost abc amount - and then the owner decided to add other things to it - for example even a pair of tyres is going to set you back anything from £150 - £230, and then add fitting.....

I often point people in the direction of this site here: http://www.motorapido.co.uk/bike%20s...%20details.php

The dealer may not be the cheapest (they are not one I use, as have been with Snells' for well over 6 years now), but their service prices certainly give you an idea of what is a reasonable figure to expect at an authorised dealer, who is only an hours ride or less from the M25 and is not far from a mainline station.
Most authorised dealers in the UK are not that far off the prices quoted for servicing on the Motorapido site.

HTH

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #12
Funkatronic

thanks AK,
according to motorapido my service cost would have been £430 without the replacement brake lever so i guess im quids in at rosso :-)

totally understood,business overheads in london are no doubt much higher than elsewhere

I was charged £200 labour (+ VAT) in the lever fiiting,
i can believe a service takes 4-5hrs so i think all round i have been fairly charged

just to be 100% clear, im NOT complaining about the service i have received from Rosso Corse, far from it. Im very happy indeed.

just wanted to know if the price i paid was in line with other s2r owners service costs experiences

thanks for all your comments guys, really appreciated

ali

Last edited by Funkatronic; 19-08-2008 at 02:37 PM..
Old 19-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

No problems Ali - glad you are happy (as are many others up your way who use them too).
Its always good to know a guide price when booking things in tho - thats why I use the Motorapido site - and I believe Ducati Glasgow also have the same on their site too.

C

ps: Its CK = Charlotte
Old 19-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
Redkite

don't think it's misleading but 1300 minus 325 for new tyres\fitting will give you the price of the service (in euros).
A service is when you take your bike in to get it checked over and worn parts replaced, like tyres and brake pads as well as all the 'standard' bits like oil and belts...

Last edited by Redkite; 19-08-2008 at 03:24 PM..
Old 19-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #15
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redkite View Post
don't think it's misleading but 1300 minus 325 for new tyres\fitting will give you the price of the service (in euros).
A service is when you take your bike in to get it checked over and worn parts replaced, like tyres and brake pads as well as all the 'standard' bits like oil and belts...
I agree about getting worn parts replaced but they are not 'standard' service items - they are wear & tear. As each persons wear & tear are different, some maybe only covering 2000 miles a year or so, its misleading to add wear & tear to servicing costs, which is why they are never quoted for, but a reputable mechanic/workshop/dealer will always phone the customer to tell them - and give them the choice of getting them done at that time or later
I've previously plumped for the 'later' as even a month can make a difference to my bank account - and some tyre outfits (or husbands ) can be quite a bit cheaper than bike main dealers on occasions.

Anyways - Ali got his bike done & is happy