UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Ooooh, looks like it'll be piston rings then...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
Macflurry

Bike: M900
Ooooh, looks like it'll be piston rings then...

After swapping out all the o-rings and re-seating the heads I thought I had found the culprit for my issues but it wasn't so. The small dowel on the vertical cylinder hadn't been seated right in the past and put a small dent in the head so it only went about half way in and you couldn't actually seat the head right.

Fired it all up and still smoking like crazy. Tried using redex in the cylinder but it didn't seem to drain through at all. Fired it up, still crazy smokey.

Did a compression test and the vertical cylinder is reading 122 cold, 120 hot and 150 if I put oil in. But horizontal one is reading 117 cold, 115 hot and with oil 130. I get the oil thing doesn't really work on the horizontal but I over filled it and turned it over to squirt the oil out of the spark plug hole and then did the test.

So it looks like rings, with the vert jumping to 150 with oil, but wouldn't these readings also mean the horizontal one is also knackered if it was reading just as low even though it isn't having the same oil problems?

Last edited by Macflurry; 24-09-2018 at 08:13 PM..
Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote