UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Madhatters Monster - Trashed - Help!

Old 23-08-2004, 11:53 AM   #16
Chappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Yerbury
ps no lewd references to the smatterings of white goo in the logo plz folks!!!
I was just about to say that those markings looked awfully familiar but I wasn't referring to paint :twisted:

I'm seriously hoping Madhatter can chuckle to that picture
Old 23-08-2004, 11:57 AM   #17
Julie

Hi Madhatter

Sorry to hear about this, hope you get it sorted soon.

Take care mate
Julie
Old 23-08-2004, 12:11 PM   #18
madhatter
Gold Member

Bike: S4
Ok Chappers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers
I was just about to say that those markings looked awfully familiar but I wasn't referring to paint..... I'm seriously hoping Madhatter can chuckle to that......

I know where you work and what car you drive!

......only joking..
madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 12:17 PM   #19
madhatter
Gold Member

My Tea-Tray saved my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie & Ruth
Hi Madhatter, sorry to hear about this, hope you get it sorted soon.Take care mate. Julie
Julie, it was just a combination of absolute blind panic to get it the 45miles home as quickly as possible (knowing it was drying all the time I was riding) and then heart breaking to see the absolute state it was in, given the time and effort I've put into it....

.....you should have seen her poor little tea-tray, absolutely covered in white paint... ...took hours of reconstructive surgery to get it back to shape......thank God I didn't cut it off, or I'd have a white stripe a foot wide up my back and over most of the seat!!!

See Jmo!!!!.....tea-trays are a valuable safety feature!!
Old 23-08-2004, 01:13 PM   #20
Chappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter
I know where you work and what car you drive!
......only joking..
Bring it on big boy
Old 23-08-2004, 03:07 PM   #21
madhatter
Gold Member

Wink Yeahhh Righttt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers
Bring it on big boy
Brave words indeed, from someone only slightly larger than the average Koala!
Old 23-08-2004, 03:27 PM   #22
Chappers

Quote:
Brave words indeed, from someone only slightly larger than the average Koala!
Now now Mr Madhatter, don't be picking on little ole me, you know I'll grass you up to Mrs Madhatter

How weird is that...the Koala is actually my fave animal and that is no lie hun!?!?
Old 23-08-2004, 05:41 PM   #23
Little Monster

Madhatter - that is such bad luck, after all your hard work. bike must be looking a bit more Limp than Pimp right now then.

You'd have a valid cause of action for this one to sue for compensation - just a question of identifying the culprit - you'd have to go via the Motor Insurers Buereau if untraced lorry driver (and i can't remember if you can proceed for pure property damage against the MIB).

all things considered, it sounds to me like you've done the best thing in concentrating on getting the thing sorted.

I am not sure but I think that if you report the incident to your insurer they'll log it as a claim even if you don't claim under your own insurance - no fault claim. Not sure if you are obliged to report it tho. Sorry - i've got my Monday head on.
Old 23-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #24
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:

65mph up a hill....get to the brow of the hill.....10 feet in front of me there appears to be something wet on the road.....juggernauts and cars coming towards me from other direction.....I was travelling through it almost before I saw what it was....no time to avoid, brake, pull emergency paracute, nothing...

The number of white lines down the road beyond it would indicate that I am far, far from alone in having got splattered!!!

Thanks for the advice Gary, about Cellulose paint reacting with the turps based paint. Looks like many hours will be spent with a wire brush.....what about nitromors or paint stripper....or would this react horribly with any of the metal alloys used on the standard monster engine?

Looks like Chappers got there just before me.....that's about the way it was, don't like to think what would have happened if I been braking hard as I slid into that lot with juggernauts coming straight towards me.....Madhatter Paste probably...
Ahh... I see no where to go - what a bummer. Nitromores strips just about anything (including skin if you don't wear rubber gloves) and may take the original paint off the engine too. If your planning to re-paint anyway this won't be a problem, but I think nitromores might attack plastic too so be carefull where you splash it

Good luck with the clean up operation
Old 23-08-2004, 09:15 PM   #25
Scotty

today i cleaned a load of high temp paint off alu with some chloroform worked quite well

just thoguht id leave some verbal diareah hereabouts
Old 23-08-2004, 09:29 PM   #26
Duncan

Of course, you could just paint the whole thing white, fit panniers and a blue light and look like a Bolognese copper.
Old 24-08-2004, 09:46 AM   #27
madhatter
Gold Member

Wink Update.

Little Monster....Thanks for the advice.....I'll leave the insurance company well alone then, I don't want a claim of any description registered and I don't need their assistance anyway..

Scotty.....Slightly disturbed that you are using Chloroform as a cleaning material.. ...how many times did you pass out and even more worrying, what else do you use it for that you have it at home.. :twisted:

Duncan.....Alex Yerbury, a similar master of the art of "Cheapskaterism" as myself, has already suggested that I should paint the whole thing white in this manner.....Only Fatbloke is allowed to own a white Monster (it's written in the small print).

Latest Update: Only a little paint remains on the front and directly underneath the engine, plus the undertray, which should come off with a wire brush. All the plastic and carbon bodywork, frame, lights, indicators, clocks, wheels etc are now paint flec free. My boots are however a complete write-off unless black and white spangley boots become fasionable!

And the Police??......not a sodding word.......
Old 24-08-2004, 10:27 AM   #28
steviej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie & Ruth
Crazy skies are wild above me now
Winter howling at my face
And everything I held so dear
Disappeared without a trace

Ahhhhhh Earl Gray............................
Old 24-08-2004, 10:41 AM   #29
A Yerbury

dont you mean that your boots are a complete "white off" a ha ha ha ha........not terribly funny at all in fact............or paint them all white and from far of you will look like you have a pair of "alpinestars white smx" boots, at a fraction of the price!?
Old 24-08-2004, 11:03 AM   #30
Scotty

ahh no chloroform at home its at work id like to say i only ever use it in a fume cupboard but i can't be arsed wi any of that never passed out yet though do often get a bad head when using it

Chloroform is the wonder solvent of preference takes everything off but is very bad for plastic type stuff