UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Madhatters Monster - Trashed - Help!

Old 23-08-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
madhatter
Gold Member

Bike: S4
Angry Madhatters Monster - Trashed - Help!

Those of you who know me, will be aware that I have put a lot of effort into buying a handlebar fairing, bellypan, seat cowl, 2002 tea tray, new indicators, carbon side panels and exhaust guards, ART anodised exhaust cans etc and have spent time doing corse pin-striping and other similar touches to personalise my Monster.

So, you can imaging my pleasure when yesterday around 4.00pm on my way back from the Northants NCC Bike show, I passed a garage on the brow of a hill on the A5, which had an accident with approximately 45 gallons of white paint running across my lane of the road!! With traffic coming in the other direction and nowhere to go, I went through this wave of white paint at around 65mph!! . I was 45 miles from home and when I got to a Petrol Station with a Jet Wash, it turned out to be gloss paint, not emusion.

My Black Monnie looked like someone had thrown a 10 gallon bucket of white paint at the front of it. Wheels, hugger, frame, lights, clocks, tank and all the goodies that I mentioned above!!

After five hours of scrubbing with white spirit, Mrs Madhatter and I have removed about 95% of it and I think some black T-Cut will remove the last from the plastic and carbon bits. Most of it has gone from my black wheels, and the hugger, frame, lights, clocks, tank etc.

I am left however with the undertray completely smothered in white paint, which I couldn't get off in time. This I will just spray with black paint, unless someone out there has one or knows of one that I can have???

The engine is also now half matt silver and half gloss white! My question is; as this is a non-high temperature engine paint, will it crack and craze if I get the engine nice and hot and allow me to scrub it off??? Any ideas from anybody???

I know I should have done it as an insurance job, but with the blind panic that set in, all I could think of was getting the paint off before it completely dried. Plus I don't want to pay higher premiums!

Pete S4 has gone off up the A5 this morning to get some photographs of the site and try to get the name of the garage owner, I would like to try to get some compensation either through mutual agreement, or through a small claims court. Any advice from our legal gurus; Nic the Breif or Little Monster?? What are my chances

So....that's my sorry tale of woe.....I'm now completely and utterly pi55ed off!!!

Last edited by madhatter; 23-08-2004 at 08:14 AM..
madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 08:13 AM   #2
Chris

****!!! I would have stopped there and then. I'm sure you should be able to claim compensation, you shouldn't have to claim it off your own insurance. There must be numerous other drivers in the same situation. You were lucky to not have skidded on it, wet paint is probably quite slippy. Do you have white chicken strips now?
Old 23-08-2004, 08:20 AM   #3
madhatter
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
****!!! I would have stopped there and then. I'm sure you should be able to claim compensation, you shouldn't have to claim it off your own insurance. There must be numerous other drivers in the same situation. You were lucky to not have skidded on it, wet paint is probably quite slippy. Do you have white chicken strips now?
I had Mrs Madhatter with me on her 125 and as I said, the blind panic set in to just get the paint off as quick as possible, no rationale thought of stopping due to this. I hate to think how many other car drivers and motorcyclists also drove through this!!! As, I also said, I was coming back from the "Northamptonshire National Chopper Club" bike show, these guys think nothing of spending 20 - 25k on a bike, some of their custom paint jobs are over £2,000 - if any of them got hit by this, the garage could be a smouldering burnt out ruin with the owner nailed to the Garage sign above it!!
Old 23-08-2004, 08:46 AM   #4
A Yerbury

blimey! Its probably to early to see the funny side....Im sure someone at the spot will have taken details and given the amounts then the bill may be aware of it. The paint on the engine should be a lot easier to do when warmed up just going to take a while. good luck.
Alex.
ps.If you wanted a white paint job this would have been a cheapskates cause to celebrate!
Old 23-08-2004, 10:29 AM   #5
madhatter
Gold Member

Angry The Police to the rescue".....Not!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Yerbury
blimey! Its probably to early to see the funny side.....If you wanted a white paint job this would have been a cheapskates cause to celebrate!
Alex, regretably the funny-side is a long way off yet, but indeed this is an excellent cheapskate method for re-spraying your motorcycle.

Our old friends at the Northamptonshire Constabulary have paused for 30 seconds from catching speeding motorcyclists with their cameras hiding behind bushes and issuing correction orders for noisy cans, to come to my aid. They tell me that although there is an incidence report raised for this, if the investigating officer can not prove that the tidel wave of white paint was the cause of the garage and didn't just "fall off the back of a lorry", I have no option other than to put in my own claim, to my own insurance!

At least this comforts me slightly that I made the right choice by getting home and "doing it myself" as I can almost hear the non-claims discount evapourating and the premium quadrupling from my insurers.

Looks like I may just need to repaint the engine (in location on the bike if possible) and replace the tyres (MOT chap said they need replacing in about 1,000 miles anyway.........Deep Sigh of Resignation!!!
Old 23-08-2004, 10:44 AM   #6
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
If the paint is turpentine based (as suggested by the fact that you managed to get most off using white spirit) you will have to make sure you get rid of ALL of it prior to repainting. Cellulose paint will react badly with any turps based paint giving a horrible crazed/cracked surface finish. I found this out the hard way

I know hindsight etc.. is a wonderfull thing, but you said the white paint was covering your side of the road - was wondering why you didn't ride round it on the other side of the road or footpath?
Old 23-08-2004, 10:57 AM   #7
Chappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins
I know hindsight etc.. is a wonderfull thing, but you said the white paint was covering your side of the road - was wondering why you didn't ride round it on the other side of the road or footpath?
He didn't have anywhere to go though, otherwise he probably would of locked-up and stacked it - Madhatter no more

" With traffic coming in the other direction and nowhere to go, I went through this wave of white paint at around 65mph!! "
Old 23-08-2004, 10:58 AM   #8
madhatter
Gold Member

All happened too quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins
65mph up a hill....get to the brow of the hill.....10 feet in front of me there appears to be something wet on the road.....juggernauts and cars coming towards me from other direction.....I was travelling through it almost before I saw what it was....no time to avoid, brake, pull emergency paracute, nothing...

The number of white lines down the road beyond it would indicate that I am far, far from alone in having got splattered!!!

Thanks for the advice Gary, about Cellulose paint reacting with the turps based paint. Looks like many hours will be spent with a wire brush.....what about nitromors or paint stripper....or would this react horribly with any of the metal alloys used on the standard monster engine?

Looks like Chappers got there just before me.....that's about the way it was, don't like to think what would have happened if I been braking hard as I slid into that lot with juggernauts coming straight towards me.....Madhatter Paste probably...

Last edited by madhatter; 23-08-2004 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Chappers......
Old 23-08-2004, 11:16 AM   #9
A Yerbury

I used nitromors on my engine and cases no problems, very quick clean and easy in fact. you dont need many hours with a wire brush either. get a couple of wire brush drill bits. I got one circular one and two small pointy jobs. I (being captain cheapo) didnt buy those stone looking kits but they look good for the fiddly bits, having said that the drill and brush combo went fine. Its all dead easy given the right paint (check my lengthy email!!) I take it you are doing the engine black? Imo the best looking and by far the most practical/easy to apply and maintain. Mechanic didnt belive my bike was an m reg as it looked so tidy. feel free to drop in for a brew and a look should you find yourself this way.
Old 23-08-2004, 11:21 AM   #10
sidtheparrot

Very sorry to hear of your bad news mate, I'm sure that if the paint had fallen off the back of a lorry, someone would have taken the reg plate and reported it to the garage.
I assume that someone would have been behind the lorry at the time and been a little pi55ed off when the paint fell off.
You could try reporting it to your insurance to see if anyone else has made a claim at the same time and date, all the insurance companies seem to work together (sharing info) so it might be worth a try.

Hope you get sorted soon

Chris
Old 23-08-2004, 11:27 AM   #11
madhatter
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Yerbury
I used nitromors on my engine and cases no problems, very quick clean and easy in fact....
Thanks Alex, I did get your nicely detailed mail and it looks like I may be having to follow some of your "Captain Cheaptastico" techniques earlier than planned. I have one of the wire brush drill bits, will get another and trim it down for smaller details. Will give the nitromors a bash as well now I'm sure its not going to melt my enginer cases and cam covers!

Bugger the insurance company, I'll fix it up better myself!
Old 23-08-2004, 11:32 AM   #12
madhatter
Gold Member

Worth a try Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidtheparrot
I'm sure that if the paint had fallen off the back of a lorry, someone would have taken the reg plate and reported it...... try reporting it to your insurance to see if anyone else has made a claim at the same time and date, all the insurance companies seem to work together (sharing info) so it might be worth a try....
The fact "The Bill" seem to be investigating where the paint came from, concerns me that maybe someone didn't see it happen or report it....good advice about the insurance company, I'll ring them and ask the question, possibly report it, but still see no point in making a claim against my own insurance. There's enough knowledge and experience on this forum to sort almost anything!!
Old 23-08-2004, 11:45 AM   #13
A Yerbury

well said chum. its all straightforward and a good opportunity to get in there and have a poke around, take a few pics and have a nose about as there may be a body out there you could get some ££ back as compensation without troubling your olwn policy. once you have the fins, engine done the cases can be done without being taken off, masking is a drag but having tried both options theres not a lot in it. after painting the cases I used a bit of grease proof paper (cheap) as a barrier against frame/hoses etc whilst sliding the sods back in. (ok Ive removed all those bits now but when they were over the covers it meant I didnt mark them when putting back on.
tata.
ps heres your new temp club logo...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mh LOGO.jpg (63.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 23-08-2004, 11:46 AM   #14
A Yerbury

oops sorry I meant cam covers there instead of cases re paper barrier (you know wot i mean)
Old 23-08-2004, 11:48 AM   #15
A Yerbury

ps no lewd references to the smatterings of white goo in the logo plz folks!!!