UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » HELP ME. Dealer says no go

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #31
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Had a look under my bike at the weekend and noticed some really bad paint flake at the bottom of the low-sump. Bike was brand new in July last year and though I've covered nearly 5,000 miles since, it's really is a pi**er for it to be so bad so quickly.
And I was very good at washing it down and had it pre-sprayed with ACF-50 and always used scottoiler F-365 on it after washing.
I'll be calling P & H about it very soon.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #32
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
mine has a small amount too. I've been told to talk to Ducati direct to start the process.

I might get the crank balanced and a lightened flywheel while they've got it apart. Not that it needs it, but it would be rude not to.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #33
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
There's always something you can do right.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #34
YoungDucS4R

Here's a more recent thread on exactly the same subject.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=25352

I persued a claim for the flaking engine paint and got Ducati to agree to renew the effected casings. But they did state it was a "gesture of goodwill" rather than an admission of fault

G.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #35
Will

No matter what the dealers or Ducati say - this has been a problem with the modern (since at least 2002, probably earlier) Ducati air-cooled engine.

They ARE prone to flaky engine paint. I am surprised (well actually probably not) that this problem is still going on 6 years or more later.

My 2002 620ie suffered from this (after only 6,000 miles or so); they replaced the engine casings under warranty. I emailed Ducati UK directly and politely explained the situation to them. They really had no choice but to co-operate as it was obvious to the dealer who inspected the bike that it had been immaculately maintained, so it was unequivocally a manufacturing or design issue.

Many people have had this problem, but I suspect that not enough people complain so it is still cheaper for Ducati to ignore the problem than to fix it.

If you bike is still under warranty and you can clearly demonstrate that the bike has not be subject to adverse conditions than you should have a case.

One point that is worth mentioning in Ducati's favour is that the front of the engine is exposed to all the crap, stones etc, thrown up by the front wheel and you would really need some tough paint to survive that for thousands of miles. So if the flakiness starts right at the front under the starter motor then Ducati might reason that it is just normal wear and tear.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #36
YoungDucS4R

For those who are not lucky enough to get their casings changed under warranty, you might be interested in clutch/primary casing on Fleabay today:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=110232655138

If it fits your bike, could be a good buy.

G.
Old 13-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #37
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
A full belly pan helps paint survive better - so stone chips must be an issue. My solo has had a monza pan fitted from almost new & the paint's still very good. The trike's naked engine by comparison is a right mess - and it's done a lot less miles. Post 2001/2002 bikes seem to suffer from this problem a lot more.