UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Pro Twins deny my problem

Old 20-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #31
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Maybe slagging off is a bit strong, I'll accept that and apologise if it caused any offence, but just phone Pete, explain the issues and give him the opportunity to sort it out.

For the record, I've just advised Pete that there's a guy who has a particular issue with his/her bike and PvT and is discussing it openly on this forum. End of.

People who know me here know that I can be provocative, but I'm fair. I do like people to be completely clear, but on this issue, PvT is largely in the dark about your problems and obviously can't respond to them until you get in touch.

Imagine if you were the guy running a business, making a wage to support your family and you found this sort of thread. I'd imagine you'd be seriously p*ssed if the guy posting it didn't get in touch to try to resolve the problem.

Please read this in the spirit it's meant - factual, not emotional.

J.

Last edited by JerryXt; 20-11-2007 at 04:25 PM..
JerryXt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #32
Scotty

it is a standard clutch you have isn't it, and not a race slipper or something daft ?
Old 20-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #33
Rusty35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
Hey

Firstly, why buy the 695 when it will be replaced by the 696 early next year and therefore your bike will depreciate in value faster than the norm.

Secondly i think they are discontinuing the S2R 800 and only keeping the 1000 version like mine, so don't buy an 800 either.

If you can afford it (and although i have a few problems with mine) go for the S2R 1000, it has loads of torque, loads of grunt, and is (generrally) a joy to ride.
Thought that may be a bit heavy duty for me being my first big bike, 1000, also it may prove a little pricier as I am buying new. The new 696 is not working for me on certain level's as I have always been attracted to the classic look of the original Monster's and the fact they are more raw machine like. I went through a stage of loving the ZX750 in Black, then the Ninja but came back to the Ducati. Even before I had a Bike when ever I heard or saw a Monster go by I looked at it with great desire and jealousy...and my inner voice said "You shall be mine"....LOL

Going to try and snap up the S2R 800 in Black I think as I hate the clocks on the 696 as well. I love dials and neon, not digital numbers...

Thanks for you advice chief. The S2R 1000 is £7995 is it not?
Old 20-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #34
Rusty35

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Matthews View Post
I had a test ride on the S2R 800, you don't need to worry about it being less manageable than the 695. It's smooth at low speed, got a really nice clutch and feels physically very light to ride.

I thought at first that it seemed a bit soft, power wise but it goes well if you open it up.
Cheers David,

I think the S2R will be for me, going to make an executive decision tomorrow. Cant afford the 1000 at the mo, and I know the 800 will be enough for me for a good while. I have an inner risk taking streak and I dont want to go to mad with the power band. Should have the bike in late December as will be putting large chunk down ASAP, will catch up with you for a spin in the new year.

Old 20-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #35
David Matthews

Bike: S2r 1000
Whilst we need to be a bit shrewd when investing in a bike, the most important thing must be to go for one that does it for you. I'd be pretty miffed if I bought one simply because it would depreciate less but then wished that I'd bought another model. Biking is more about fun than being an investment.

I went for the 1000 rather than the 800, it's just as easy to ride but you notice the difference if you give it some. I paid £6300 at the end of April, quite a few dealers discount them.
David Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #36
chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
Thought that may be a bit heavy duty for me being my first big bike, 1000, also it may prove a little pricier as I am buying new. The new 696 is not working for me on certain level's as I have always been attracted to the classic look of the original Monster's and the fact they are more raw machine like. I went through a stage of loving the ZX750 in Black, then the Ninja but came back to the Ducati. Even before I had a Bike when ever I heard or saw a Monster go by I looked at it with great desire and jealousy...and my inner voice said "You shall be mine"....LOL

Going to try and snap up the S2R 800 in Black I think as I hate the clocks on the 696 as well. I love dials and neon, not digital numbers...

Thanks for you advice chief. The S2R 1000 is £7995 is it not?
I think i paid £7k for the 1000.
Old 21-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #37
Bodybag

Just in case you're interested, Natty Boy has his S2R1000 for sale at the moment. Not sure of the details but if you email him, I'm sure he'll respond.

By the way, my first bike after passing my test was a Monster S4 (one of the 916cc watercooled beasts!!). A bike is only as fast and scary as you make it. Thats why they have throttles.
Old 21-11-2007, 11:00 PM   #38
benson

Reading this through I'm aware that there are unresolved gripes that need to be sorted out with the dealers - hopefully Chief you're getting somewhere through dialogue? I'd recommend dealing with the dealers and then following Crust's advice - hope it gets sorted and you continue to enjoy the monster..
Old 22-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #39
S4 MAD

Clutch

being a s4 owner my self i have found my clutch plates have needed replaceing 2 times its an 02 s4 and owned since new and i have to say the clutch is some what hard going on the plates and they do wear if you try to slip it a lot , it does seem a bit of genral problem others in the past in the club have also sufferd from. unfortunately like car warrantys clutches under warranty quite often are clased as ware and tare item,because ware on the plates can be caused by rideing the clutch or slipping the clutch as damage on the plates doesnt normally happen on its own if you get my drift.
thats not to say they wont replace it underwarranty.
new plates from ducati about 96*vat easy to replace youreself.
Old 22-11-2007, 04:34 PM   #40
giler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybag View Post
Just in case you're interested, Natty Boy has his S2R1000 for sale at the moment. Not sure of the details but if you email him, I'm sure he'll respond.

Natt'ys is an S4R, & a really nice one.
Old 22-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #41
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hey Chief

just to add my thoughts:

Dry clutches on Dukes can get glazed which makes them sound and feel graunchy and grabby - both my 900 and 1000 suffer from this but it may not indicate a knackered clutch (a few agressive starts seems to sort that!!!). You don't mention how many miles you've done? Do you slip the clutch a lot in traffic? If it's making a load of noise on downshifts, it maybe that the system needs bleeding as air in the system won't let the clutch disengage properly.

The rear brake issue sounds strange. My only thought is that the claiper is binding and takes a lot of pressure to overcome it. It may be in need of a good clean. Never use the rear brake myself so nothing to compare I'm afraid. For rapid stopping you should rely on the front brake as it's more effective and less likely to lock than the rear.

As a possible suggestion, perhaps someone on here local to you with experience of other Dukes could take your bike out for a spin to get a second opinion?

If you can't resolve things with PvT, the Snells or Rapido get my recommendation. Warrently will not be affected by using an independent providing they stick to the Ducati service schedules and instructions.

Hope it's sort soon.
Old 24-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #42
simonw

A tricky issue on the clutch. I would say its a warranty item but some dealers may try and claim clutch abuse. The fact is they ( including myself as I own Red Dog UK a new Ducati dealer in the UK ( best new Ducati dealer 2007 )) only get paid cost on labour for warranty work so are not keen on doing it if busy. Fortunately for you were not busy this time of year so if you run it up to us first thing in the new year we will give it a look over for free and have a chat with Ducati on the warranty issue and then would be happy to do the work under warranty or at the same cost. Find us at www.reddoguk.com.
Old 24-12-2007, 07:33 PM   #43
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Stunning multi that Simon, do you think it would be any good for commuting??
Old 25-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #44
chief

A happy ending

I finally managed to get some time to go in and see Protwins and I am pleased to say that we discussed the issues in this thread and they worked on the bike explaining each issue / problem as they went.

My clutch has surprisingly no wear and is in top shape but they suggested things they could do to see if they could make a difference.

I came away much happier with my monster and it is now running superbly again.

I apologise to Pete and the guys if any offence was caused.

Chief.
Old 25-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #45
giler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
I finally managed to get some time to go in and see Protwins and I am pleased to say that we discussed the issues in this thread and they worked on the bike explaining each issue / problem as they went.

My clutch has surprisingly no wear and is in top shape but they suggested things they could do to see if they could make a difference.

I came away much happier with my monster and it is now running superbly again.

I apologise to Pete and the guys if any offence was caused.

Chief.
Glad to hear you have had a happy outcome at last.