UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Ducati in Norwich

Old 02-07-2007, 06:14 AM   #16
Pixx

Never mind: I've just answered my own question. Carl Harrison isn't on Ducati's list, which means if your bike is less than two years old, you're invalidating the Ducati warranty by using his services. Obviously after that, it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by Pixx; 02-07-2007 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: incomplete point
Old 03-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #17
Rob S4

hello all,

I've spoken to carl Harrison - he seems like a nice bloke. My baby will be in his hands soon!!

On the bonus side - i phoned ducati Aylsbury and found out that the bike had a 12k service carried out on october last year so it'll only need a check over with carl to set my mind at rest!

See you all out on the road soon.
Old 24-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #18
Fraser

carl

i've used carl harrison for years now - he used to be head spanner at duke dealer chris clarkes in wyndham but left to set up on his tod before clarkes went tits up. Always sorted my dukes and aprillias a treat and even does ace job on a GSXR1 track bike for me. christ he even picks up and delivers!!
no personal experience of seastar but just the usual bad reports. never had a prob with parkies iin colchester and usually buy dukes from them cos they will always match a deal.
Old 24-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #19
neilbaldry

im taking my bike to Carl Harrisons for my stuff. even though its an 06 bike, the stuff im getting done would probably invalidate the warranty anyways. Seems a real nice fella when i was up there last saturday, sounds like he knows his stuff!
Old 25-07-2007, 06:01 AM   #20
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Unfortunately when a manufacturer appoints a main dealer it is not important that they have the best mechanics, the best knowledge or attitude and passion. What is important to the manufacturer is that they have loads of money.

Thats why independants are often the best.they may not have the flash showroom or £500,000 stock of bikes and flashy kit but they often have the passion and knowledge.
Old 25-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #21
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Oh dear, I have to get involved now...

Aint that the truth Jerry.

Shortly, actually within days of learning Seastar had the Ducati franchise, I went up there with ED. Firstly, the guy on the desk winked at me, jeez I hate that. How bloody patronising and annoying. When he found out we were asking about Ducatis, he went and got someone else who then proceeded to be actually quite honest and say as they've only just got the deal for Ducatis, they didn't have a clue what they were doing. He said it was going to be a learning curve and yes he's right and I did appreciate his honesty. He said, well a bike's a bike yeh? Well, no it isn't. They are most definitely not practising on mine that's for sure.

I wish them no harm at all but ask any biker in Norfolk about Seastars reputation and you will see exactly what I mean.Who knows? Maybe after they've been practising on other people's bikes, they may be actually competent but right now, I would not take my bike there for any mechanical work to be done.

Carl Harrison is renowned for his good works and would be my first choice for out of warranty stuff. If warranty work is important to you then I'd say Parkinsons in Colchester. Plenty of good stories about them.

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #22
neilbaldry

well apart from seastar charging over 3 grand for the import 400's, the fact i havent heard a good word about them, and now im an avid Ducatisti, im never going there, ever! Carl Harrisons' seem the best bet, and its not hard to find, so maybe a future meetingplace for Naaarfolk rideouts?
Old 30-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #23
Rancid Badger

This is going to go against the grain some, but I've had nothing but exemplary service & support from SeaStar.

I bought my first Duke (749) from Veloce, who sadly are no longer with us. I had ordered my 1098s a week before they closed & so moved my order to the next closest dealer (Parkinson's) - who gave the most chuffin awful service I have ever come across.

Before my bike was even delivered I approached Vince at Seastar, explained the situation (that he wouldn't be getting a sale out of me, but probably would servicing etc), he was very friendly & accomodating - as I have subsequently found all of their staff to be. I now know them all by name, as they do I.

Seastar have carried out all of the servicing on my 1098s, fitted the Termi's, PCIII, dyno run, custom fuel maps etc. All I can do is praise their professionalism. On the odd occasion when I've ordered a part & it's either been on a stupidly long lead time or has come in sub standard, they've let me know straight away & refunded or organised an alternative. From being in business myself, I know that things do not always run 100% smoothly & so it's a breath of fresh air to find an honest dealer, who'll give you the full SP rather than BS or ignoring you (like Parkinson's).

I've now bought myself an S4Rs, which was their demo bike: 14 months old & 850 miles.

I appreciate that some people will have had different experiences, but don't write them off if you haven't tried them recently - personally I would have to have a bloody good reason to take my bikes elsewhere. I didn't get as good service as this from Veloce - whose owner I knew personally.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:35 AM   #24
Fraser

servicing in east angular

good thread this one, now a year old - we should have a party!

My update since last year. Brought 18mth old S4RS from Ducati in manchester which they delivered cos local dealers (Parkies and Seastar couldn't match or didn't have 2nd hand).

Cos its still pretty new and under warranty went to Parkies for the big service couple months back. They were about £200 cheaper than Seastar when i asked them to quote. Know what you mean about Parkies being so laid back but if you don't mind that they can do the job cheaper and have previously always offered me good price on new bikes.

Though appreciate that anyone can service bike and theoretically not invalidate warranty, will stick with Parkies till runs out (got extended warranty chucked in with bike). As per my previous reply, soon as its out of warranty will be up to Carl Harrison as I've been using him one way or t'other for over a decade (!!!).
Old 01-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #25
Bodybag

I've always had a really good service from Parkies in Colchester. Friendly staff and they'll take you through to the workshop and let you see whats going on rather than stand you at a counter and explain. I've never had any problems whatsoever from them and would always recommend them to anyone. Sales are limited by the amount of stock they can hold but the service and parts side is exemplary.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #26
neilbaldry

I have to book the 2 year service soon, and will be going back to Carl Harrisons.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #27
gremlin

I'd go to BDK if I needed tuning stuff done but most times I let my shed dweller do everything, he's really cheap, pretty thorough and has a vested interest in keeping me safe! We have had parts from Seasick but have found them more expensive than Pro twins so if we need anything we book the stuff over the phone then pick it up when we pick up Clives daughter.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #28
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Well, following on, Seastar have proved to be very friendly. I know they've done a few things that people I know are pleased with but I don't know anyone who's had anything major done.

Rod didn't take the 1098s for its first service there. I haven't had any work done but we have both bought bits. I'm waiting to hear first hand of anybody dealing in anything major with them.

Old 22-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #29
He11cat

Have to say Carl is so nice!!!!
The place is spotless!!! and ooh lovely MV gusta I was admiring!

I said better do the belts as well he said nah give it till spring and do em them!
He said you may hate the bike yet!!

No most people would have said certainly!!! thinking of the money.

It was hard to find him lol... tucked away.. but he took me through the workshop and even showed me my bike.
But as girl he made me feel welcome an not a complete twit!! ... which sadly I am!

He then made a point of looking at my other bike lol which is filthy I went scarlet...
and told me all the history of em... ended up talking about my bike lol...
It was nice he did'nt turn his nose up at it and came out to look!

Ive met many mechanics but have to say he is so so nice!!!

Last edited by He11cat; 22-08-2009 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: I waffled on
Old 22-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #30
Nonnie
Dipstick!

You're right he is lovely.

He was single the last time I spoke to him too!!!

Last time he did some work on my bike he said he'd bring it home in the van for me because it looked like rain.

Nice gent.